stoner music?

dr.testical

ive been hearing alot of talk about stoner music.. im hearing all types of shit like dave matthews is stoner music.. then from other people reggae type shit like bob marley is stoner music.. can you guys please clarify what bands are considered "stoner" music. bands songs whatever. set it straight.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

there's also a whole subsection of music coming out refered to as 'stoner rock'... i cant think of too many bands right off the top of my head, but queens of the stone age were always considered 'stoner' until their newest album. also kyuss, the predisesor to q.o.t.s.a. was 'stoner rock'. theres also alot of 'doom rock' bands that are kind of 'stoner rock' also... clearlight, nebula, goatsnake, electric wizard, etc.

i seen clutch down the jersey shore 2 summers ago and this surfer dude passed me this large joint. i know in the previous post i said i dont smoke anymore, but i did occassionally back then. i was way drunk and blitzed out by this thing. dudes, like "keep it," mumbled somethin and walked away. i got all paranoid for a minute thinkin it was a duster.

hot.

i was at a public enemy show...probably 92 or 93. for some reason there were only about 3-400 people at the show, which was outdoors, at an ampatheater that is on top of a parking garage. i'm standing there, and theres this older white guy...prolly mid 30's, in a bright blue hawaiian shirt....totally ridiculous. so he fires up a joint, hands it over, i get super baked, and it was dope.

that's the whole story. but just the fact that im at a PE show, 99% black folks, me and my boy (16 or 17 at the time) and an old white guy in a hawaiian shirt. it rocked.

public enemy dumb good.

thats all.

Originally posted by Crimsøn

If someone is actually trying to classify a genre of music as "stoner" they must be fucking retarded.

Yea sure, there's certain albums I like listening to more when I'm real stoned but that's about as far as that goes.

Amen.

there is a difference between music that high school kids get high and listen to (ie: pink floyd, phish, dead) and 'stoner rock'. it's a 'sound', not necessarily just a kind of music that is 'trippy' when you're baked. since you don't know what we're talking about, yet you're trying to talk about it anyway, you don't know what you're talking.

seeks/wrath of the math

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO STONER-ROCK?

The question dumped itself on me some days ago and after I puzzled about it for a while I started researching stuff and this much I can tell you, folks: Stoner-Rock is well dead. As dead as it ever was, actually, and withholding the little flickering of life between about 1995 and 2000 or so, there was never much live to it anyway . My main point is: those bands which were always around doing, what is now considered as Stoner-Rock, will keep on staying. But these bands, e.g. Cathedral, Scott “Wino” Weinrich, Sleep, amo, never made Stoner-Rock, they made Metal. Call it Doom or Dark or heavy as horseshit, it was metal. Those other bands, who infused Stoner-Rock with life are either all gone, like Kyuss, or moved on to other quarters - some doing interesting stuff like Josh Homme (Queens of The Stone Age), other doing just a heavier version of plain old rock’n’roll (these are too many to mention). Other bands, which are “new” and are helplessly filed und sold under the moniker, e.g. everything on Southern Lord, are also Doom-Metal or even Southern Rock or something else. Stoner Rock, my friends and fellow-victims, is dead.

I went to go see Public Enemy last year. Flava Flav wasn't there. He was in jail... again.

Can someone list some good bands? I can use some new music. My professors are pretty chill this semester which means it'll be a stoner season for me. I know this sounds ridiculous and a total pothead thing to say, but I've been getting BETTER grades in school ever since I started smoking weed again last year. Maybe it is because I feel more content, and I can focus on details better when I'm stoned.

Archived