Graffiti changes but why is it?

D00Z

I dont know weather iam the only person who has noticed.. but if you have too please let me know.

It may be the same everywhere but definatlly in London!

The Look of graffiti has changed! Iam not talking about letter styles or even painting technicks.. its more about how the paint seems to sit on the wall... it always used to sort of look a bit flat (even if the piece was 3d), it was aways a bit matt looking. Iam not knocking it!!! i actualy prefere it! its deffinatly apperent cos you can teel by looking at photos... you can roughly tell what era the piece was done in by looking at the colours... the only thing i can think is that these pieces were done in an age pre Belton or Montana.

Has anyone else noticed this or am I chatting crap??????

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Ugh....as if this needed an explanation.....

Everything in our culture is constantly evolving to adapt to the changing social norms and acceptable visual aesthetics.

If one is to remain at a particular level within their subculture, there is no growth, no innovation, no attempts to go above and beyond the established norm. If a body of water recieves no fresh influx of water, it either drys up or stagnates.

Same for graffiti. People kept innovating and creating new styles to get noticed and push the genres envelope to ensure that the art form would not die out. I mean, look at SEEN for example...one of the first people to really innovate with the ill letters and incorporation of characters into pieces. Nowadays we have folks like TOTEM, LOOMIT, DAIM, CES, etc...doing insane shit with three dimensional pieces and characters that seem prepared to leap off the faces of the buildings they are painted on.

Bottom line, things change because of the need for creative growth and to keep up with the times.

LENS, i like you and all, but you completely missed the point. he wasn't talking about styles changing, he was talking about the look of the paint changing - and i'm gonna have to agree with him. you can definitely distuinguish the difference between a subway era piece to one painted in early 90's DC to a production by LOOMIT in NYC thats been standing for less than a couple years, just by looking at the way the paint and the colors and the glossiness / flatness; atleast i can for the most part. i think it may be a matter of the trained eye; it's an evolution of the paint lines, the colors in the lines, and the brands being used at the time. i can easily spot a piece done in belton nowadays , looking at the colors, glossiness and sharpness. but i gotta say, i like the look prevalent in the mid 80's to early 90's the best. all those fresh colors. i wish i could post up a few flicks in here to illustrate my point for all you visual learners.. maybe later.

i know exactly what your tlaking about...

i definately notice the apperance of paint is changeing, but i dont like the way its going...sure peices done with belton and montana look good...but some kids have only used that stuff since the day they started....they will never know how to really paint...if you can do a fresh peice with stock caps and doller store paint....you can paint with anything.

i miss the days of writing in 6th grade not knowing what i was doing, racking magnums, not knowing that graffiti on the internet even existed...*sniff* :(

actually, i dont remember too many 'flat' or 'semi flat' colors being made back in the day. just about everything was gloss, so that argument is null and void. also american paint was far thicker in the 70's and 80's than it is now a days, so no, i would say that paint quality has greatly decreased in general (i dont know about euro paint, i'm sure that stuff is alot better now.)

then on the other hand, skills, caps, surfaces, and expectation of product have also improved. the final thing, which i think is the biggest change, is that photo technology has greatly improved, allowing you to see brighter, glossier images.

you ask some dumb questions, homie. common sense should answer all this for you.

Archived