What books are you currently reading?

head south

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by im not witty

unbearable lightness of being is the jawn. must read for all cheaters. hehe.

what do you mean by too familiar?

Both authors have a very distinct style...sometimes too distinct. I can only read a couple Chuck Palahniuk books in a row, after 2 I get kinda sick of his style, although I love his writing.

And That Dan Brown book is just kinda set up the same way the DaVinci Code was....I'm still really into it, its just kind of amusing and slightly bothersome...no big deal. I'd still recommend both authors to the fullest.

Originally posted by BROWNer

yo, chupsz has some time on his hands!

Yeah, i'm a reletively fast reader, and if i have good books around me i will read for an hour or two every night before i go to bed instead of just zoning out to music. The problem is i always get good books in clumps and then i end up not reading for awhile, and then binge again.

The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoevsky

http://a1055.g.akamai.net/f/1055/1401/5h/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/6500000/6503016.gif'>

From the Publisher

Dostoevsky's last and greatest novel, The Karamazov Brothers (1880), is both a brilliantly told crime story and a passionate philosophical debate. The dissolute landowner Fyodor Pavlovich Karamazov is murdered; his sons - the atheist intellectual Ivan, the hot-blooded Dmitry, and the saintly novice Alyosha - are all at some level involved. Bound up with this intense family drama is Dostoevsky's exploration of many deeply felt ideas about the existence of God, the question of human freedom, the collective nature of guilt, the disastrous consequences of rationalism. The novel is also richly comic: the Russian Orthodox Church, the legal system, and even the author's most cherished causes and beliefs are presented with a note of irreverence, so that orthodoxy and radicalism, sanity and madness, love and hatred, right and wrong are no longer mutually exclusive. Rebecca West considered it 'the allegory for the world's maturity', but with children to the fore. This new translation does full justice to Dostoevsky's genius, particularly in the use of the spoken word, which ranges over every mode of human expression.

Originally posted by LENS

I just finished reading "Requiem For a Dream" by Hubert Selby Jr.

Way way more hard core and depressing than the movie. Damn book fucked up my whole week.

damn..that book does sound like it would be interesting, i didn't know it was based on a book.. but fuck..the movie was pretty bad and disturbing.. but i think i wanna check it out anyway!

i figure people that read will post here(stating the obvious) so here some books i reccomend for those that like urban non-fiction:

My Bloody Life: The Making of a Latin King by Reymundo Sanchez

sequel to above^ My Bloody Life: The Unmaking of a Latin King

Bomb the Suburbs- Upski

No More Prisions- Upski

uuuhhh theres a bunch more, i cant think of em right now but ill post later :o

Originally posted by LENS

I just finished reading "Requiem For a Dream" by Hubert Selby Jr.

Way way more hard core and depressing than the movie. Damn book fucked up my whole week.

great book. The writing style is weird at the beginning, what with the lack of parenthesis and spaces between different characters talking, but after a little while, you get used to it. Better then the movie in my opinion.

Some of my personal favorite books. Good books to read if you want to better understand the world around you, while having fun reading them.

FLATLAND by Edwin Abbot (EVERYONE should read this book)

Surfing Through Hyperspace by Clifford A. Pickover (just read it)

HYPERSPACE by Michio Kaku (not as easy reading as the others, but has TONS of good info and ideas realting to physics, and unification theory)

There Are No Electrons by Kenn Amdahl (this is a book about electricity that will explain to you the basics of electronics in a very funny and readable story format.)

Tatham Mound by Piers Anthony (this is one for you guys who like fiction, It's about a native american boy coming of age before europeans arrived in North America. It helped me to understand what effect the first europeans had upon the natives of this country. If you've read any of Anthony's works you know he's an amazingly talented writer, this book is no exception.)

i just finished an autobiography of frida kahlo.

i also just finished a book of frida's diarys and drawings.

i also just finished artburn by robbie conal. i went wheatpasting with dude one year.

i also finished me talk pretty one day.

currently reading love and hydrogen.

Archived