Wrong Place, but for a reason

Overtime

I know this is the wrong place for this, cuz there arent gonna be many pictures if any, but the place it "should" be has a different brand of people that i dont want to poll, i want to poll the people who actually participate in the paper chase thread.

How long does it usually take you to sketch, not complete color, but to the point of an outline that you are ready to color and you know that the design of the piece. I only inquire because everybody is always sayin "oh, that was a quick sketch" but as an example, i am a quick sketcher, it does not take a long time, so i could not use that excuse because that is how i do for all my sketches. To come up with an outline, it usually takes me anywhere from 5-30 minutes, which is relativly quick.

I was only wondering all of this because i wanna know what base people have for believing that "it was just a quick sketch" is a valid excuse, if a person does great sketches in a short amount of time, that means every sketch will be quick. I hope all this makes sense.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Originally posted by FLYIN'OCULA

yeah,, I can see how your piece of shit sketches take you only 5 mins...

wow, good job gettin in a serious thread and fuckin it up, you can talk shit on me anywhere else, there are plenty of threads where you can put my pics in quotes and talk shit, good job being gay here

i mean, coloring and all, it takes a couple hours, but just the outline i meant

id feel like a loser if i spent anymore than an hour and a half on a sketch(no offense to any of you who put real work into your sketches...i just have low self-esteem:( ).....but i dont really get all into sketches..and do CRAZY backgrounds and CRAZZY colour schemes.....and the only time it does take me longer than 45-hour is because im lazy..and will stop halfway through a sketch to watch tv..or better yet..sit on here:idea:

Originally posted by HELLxO

id feel like a loser if i spent anymore than an hour and a half on a sketch(no offense to any of you who put real work into your sketches...i just have low self-esteem:( ).....but i dont really get all into sketches..and do CRAZY backgrounds and CRAZZY colour schemes.....and the only time it does take me longer than 45-hour is because im lazy..and will stop halfway through a sketch to watch tv..or better yet..sit on here:idea:

i dont wanna sound like an asshole but why do u write or draw if ur not gonna be devoted to it? if ur not gonna put time and/or effort into it then dont even bother doin it cuz if its not worth the effort then it cant make u happy.

word to that

but above all the ppl who control thire style dont need alot of time to sketch things they know wut they are doing and have it all planned

to us toys it might take longer cuz we erase alot of shit and somtimes a line wont come out stright and shit

to me it takes more then an hour to finish a sketch with pencil + 45 min just to color it + another hour to add background

Time

First starting out it used to take me hours doing outlines, it was a learning process developing original letters and connects. In the early 80's creativity was a must, we didn't have the internet to see what other people are doing . That was geez, 24 years ago. Nowadays I'll bang out a outline in 5 -10 minutes with a ball point pen.

I recommend using a ball point pen, I haven't used a pencil since the early 90's. It makes you think more and helps you develop a sense of letter movement.....

Peace

:king:

Originally posted by micro

i dont wanna sound like an asshole but why do u write or draw if ur not gonna be devoted to it? if ur not gonna put time and/or effort into it then dont even bother doin it cuz if its not worth the effort then it cant make u happy.

Uh, I don't agree. Just because you don't spend 4 hours on a sketch, doesn't mean you aren't devoted. Some people would rather spend their time on a wall, and others don't have hours of time to kill.

Originally posted by ares

Uh, I don't agree. Just because you don't spend 4 hours on a sketch, doesn't mean you aren't devoted. Some people would rather spend their time on a wall, and others don't have hours of time to kill.

i agree with you, i mean, i usually get the idea in my head, and then crush it out on paper, and just spend time workin on it makin it how i want, but other times i can put one letter down and work on gettin the rest to work for days at a time, just erasing and puttin shit down. its just how it happends sometimes

Guest Propaganda

Hmmm...

To do my sketches ranges from a hour to four. It takes longer trying to draw up the concept idea of a structural piece rather than the fun time of coloring and effecting the sketch. Then again it takes me longer than others to sketch due to fact im still learning.

depends...if im just doing an outline it usually takes about 15 minutes...if i do a full color, background sketch it takes around 2-3 hours cos i have a break....when i sketch for too long i get bored and dont put enough effort in so i think its best to take a break

uhh like 30 seconds or less for an outline with out anything or shadow,

usually in pen or sharpie. Thats the way I think it's supposed to be. Get it down the first time, well atleast if your a new comer. I just keep sketching outlnes killin paper , and each dayI get better and I can do pretty good outlines for less then 30 seconds, you gotta get it consistent.

thats all folks

30 seconds is long for a throwie outline. Throwie outlines should take 5 or 10 seconds. Mine do... with pen/marker though. Wtih paint they take longer cuz its bigger lol.

But 30 seconds could be for a quick simple letter outline. I could see that...

But yea... I don't agree with you albino, it's not good to learn by doing it fast lmao. I thoguht that you had to do everything with just pen and fast the first week i started like i think you think. But use pencil man and take time to get ya letters how ya want em. Then when you figure out nice ones and can get it down with time... then try to be able to em faster. Just my 2 cents.

And an outline for a piece that i really wanna look nice and have some connections and arrows and such might take an hour or so in pencil... then the rest is longer cuz re outlining and then coloring it and doing 3D isa pain in the ass.

Archived