TEHCHING HSIEH

brown twinkie

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_Tesseract

There is an artist from yugoslavia called Marina Abramovic that does stuff like that.

It is interesting.To tell you the truth i respect performers but i dislike them in a way.It seems to circus sometimes or to cheap.

I prefer atrists that create something-object-painting-whatever.And manage to define something without describing it.To rephrase:i respect perfomers but i respect monks a lot more.

fair enough.

its strange though, to me, to call him a performer, even though this stuff

gets lumped into conceptual 'performance art'......

i mean, when he does this stuff there's no audience actually with him, its kind of this deeply private symbolic thing that he feels extremely motivated and compelled to do...

one of the things he said after the cage piece was when he

got out, the biggest frustration(from memory, this isn't probably the right word or the exact comments he made)was people misunderstanding

the point of it, or simply scoffing that he was 'crazy' for doing it and writing it off without really analysing it critically.....

i for one can sympathize with this.............holding up a mirror, i see a person that goes out late at night, and walks around cold, tired and hungry looking for a nice piece of dirty old concrete to color up while my live in girlfriend lies awake in bed pulling her hair out hoping i'm not fucking my future over by getting caught....

i don't know........there's something to be said for people that put themselves

through this particular type of shit......no matter how punishing.......to make a statement.......................to me its really asphyxiatingly(sp? a real word?) complex and deep.

i'd like to see the punch clock film.

Originally posted by brown twinkie:

its strange though, to me, to call him a performer, even though this stuff

gets lumped into conceptual 'performance art'......

i mean, when he does this stuff there's no audience actually with him, its kind of this deeply private symbolic thing that he feels extremely motivated and compelled to do...

yes...but he documents it...i think that makes a difference

incredible stuff. he seems very dedicated. and the ritualistic nature (?) of it all is pretty fucking cool

Guest imported_Tesseract

I call him a perfomer just because he puts himself in situations in order to publisize(sp?)the whole procedure.In some way audience exist in his life-work,it just aint live.

I respect what you are saying and i dont feel different about people who tend to put them selves throught different shit.Its just that i respect further more someone like you-everyone who paints here-doing all shorts of things in order to paint.That means something about your life and how you deal with it,Its a statement as much as any "way" of life is.In "performance" a way of life seems to become the subject and statements tend to be struggled out sometimes.

I always hate it when lifestyles are treated like something more than they really are.For a writer going out at nights in all kind of conditions abusing danger and a "normal"life its just the way.But thats just life to me.everyone has to overcome situations to get where he wants.And as much as i respect this-the ability of breaking through-i like to judge art by its product.The artists life is just what makes him great and bold i supose.

To sum this up,i just think that ones life is not a subject for anyone.It just provides people with emotions and thoughts,Knowledge about their self...Things that can easily translate to art but always need to be translated.

Archived