drivers license help - tax ID

ubejinxed

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

you need an SSN (as far as i know..even the foreigners that work here [in my lab] have SSnumbers, even though they are aliens)

in addition to that, you need a birth certificate.

if you were not born in that state, i believe you have to prove residency.

usually a gas, electric, water, or phone bill will do the trick

with another form of photo ID

and of course, passports are helpful if you don't have a birth certificate, i think that might be the only way you can get off with no birth cert.

not positive about all this

and i'm sure there may be variations from state to state

***recently, Dubya and others suggested allowing illegal aliens to get a driver's license..this would be a scenario where you wouldn't need an SSN, i don't think that measure has done anything as far as law goes, i'm not sure that any state allows it (yet).

yah that's what i thought, i know most states require a SSN, birth cert or a US passport. i had heard there were states that didn't require the SSN tho.

i know bout the bush thing, we'll see if it actually happens, that was one of the only good things i could see from that plan.

jose came to this country on a fulbright scholarship about 4 years ago to do a PhD..so he was a student, then at some point he joined a lab as a full-time employee, when the lab moved, he moved as well, then got another sponsorship through the new university

at some point in all that, he got a SSN.

but he's a resident alien.

jantje came after 9/11, about a year ago..she had a lot of problems, but finally got paperwork through for a sponsorship. that paperwork allowed her to obtain an SSN

she's on a work visa sponsorship thing..

jose's wife also came to this country on a sponsorship and obtained the SSN through that, i think, she may be on a student visa

steve, who is back in ireland, had a temporary number with his summer student visit visa

and the other dude became a resident and has a green card through some lottery

there are all sorts of special numbers to designate certain things, whether you are permanent, temporary, resident, alien, citizen, non-citizen

it's pretty madenning, especially when it goes wrong.

long story longer, you need a business to apply for your visa through a sponsorship, then based on the length of your stay/purpose/etc they may or may not assign you an ssn

Archived