Going to SF next week - what should I check out?

DITDxCULT

My work is sending me to SF, putting me up at the Ramada Plaza on Market St, and giving me per diems every day. I got money to waste, and need to know of some good restuarants (vegetarian), coffee shops, art/toy galleries, record stores, etc.. to check out.

Any info would be apreciated.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

'The Essentials' of San Francisco...according to Dave

Today we continue our exclusive series of insider's city guides, moving from Amsterdam to San Francisco.

THE ESSENTIALS #2 - DAVE / SAN FRANCISCO

'The Essentials' of San Francisco...according to Dave

My favorite places to see graffiti and murals are:

Clarion Alley (in between Mission and Valencia)

Balmy Alley (off 24th Street)

Norfolk Alley (off Folsom)

When you get hungry, wander over the the Mission District in search of burritos. The Mission is full of great Mexican restaurants, try them all. Also check out Tu-Lan, on 6th Street off Market It's a hole-in-the-wall Vietnamese restaurant, on perhaps the worst street in the city. The food is always good and cheap.

For people who enjoy looking at stickers, take a walk down Haight Street. When you get to Haight also check out the Kid Robot store, Red Five, The Noc Noc Bar, The Zim Zam and Escape from New York Pizza.

If you're into cheap beer, a colorful crowd, pin ball, a pool table and free popcorn, then head over to the 500 Club on the corner of Guerrero and 17th. Also has the city's best neon sign.

The Musee Mecanique is an arcade full of old fashion mechanical games and toys. It's on the lower level of the Cliff House, near Ocean Beach It's a ton of fun and has some of the best views in the area. Overlooking Ocean Beach and the Pacific. Bring extra quarters!

The best bathroom graffiti is at the Uptown Club, on the corner of Capp and 15th Street.

If you're interested in seeing art indoors go to:

The Cartoon Museum, on Mission Street.

The Yerba Buena Center For The Arts, also on Mission.

Culture Cache Gallery, on Bryant.

Jack Hanley Gallery, on Valencia.

The Luggage Store Gallery, on Market

And Lizabeth Oliveria Gallery, at 49 Geary Street.

If you're planing on making some art while you're in the Bay Area, then Pearl Paints on Market street is the place to shop for supplies.

When you're done eating and looking at art go see a film at one of these movie theaters The Castro, on Castro Street; The Red Vic, on Haight or The Roxie, on 16th Street.

Enjoy yourself!

posted by Wooster on 11/12/2003 07:10:36 AM | link

Guest Pilau Hands

Ahh i just came back from there and had the best time. In very short..

vegetarian

Hit up one of the Whole Foods grocery stores and try a few of their vegan cookies. They have tons of vegetarian stuff too and it's all good, if a bit pricy. Good times.

A few doors in from the corner of Fell and Divisadero is Empress Sarah's Vegetarian Cafe...it actually could be called something else too. The signs are handmade, and painted in like a jungle theme with phrases in different places. You'd definitely know it when you see it though. They have a small cafe in front that they were just starting to expand when I got there, and a jewelry and i think clothing store in the back. The whole place has that kind of Ital flavor, old Marley on the system and whatnot. I don't know if you're into that stuff. Since they were just expanding they didn't have too many items on the menu, except a vegan pizza, a really good vegan brownie, and an african roots drink that doesn't taste too great but gets the juices flowing and gives you energy. An interesting place to see, and it's a nice walk (maybe 14 blocks?) away from you.

A few doors away from that was a restaurant called Herbivore that looked pretty good but I didn't get a chance to try.

burritos

Gordo's Taqueria on College St. in Berkeley if you find yourself out there for whatever reason.

El Farolito on...24th and Mission I think. Something like that. Excellent burritos, excellent salsa.

sites

Fuck...everything. I would get a city map and just walk in huge circles going outward. Definitely try to see Coit tower and walk around the area. It's...I think...the highest point in the city of SF, and you can pretty much see everything. Walking right up to the Golden Gate bridge is fun too, though it's a long walk and probably better with a friend.

Originally posted by Pilau Hands

burritos

Gordo's Taqueria on College St. in Berkeley if you find yourself out there for whatever reason.

El Farolito on...24th and Mission I think. Something like that. Excellent burritos, excellent salsa.

nooo the best burrito place is el castillio on golden gate near teh courts. the BEST EVER!

art/toy galleries-go to the haight for kid robot and another store...the name is on the tip of my tongue right now. also go hit up near the warf because recon is located there. there is also jefferey's toys for the typical but cool toys and that is located on market street.

vegetarian restaurants-not sure of any. i'm not vegetarian. but i have a lot of friends htat are so i can always get some info for you.

Originally posted by cømmunist

Also check out Tu-Lan, on 6th Street off Market It's a hole-in-the-wall Vietnamese restaurant, on perhaps the worst street in the city. The food is always good and cheap.

posted by Wooster on 11/12/2003 07:10:36 AM | link

this place is the shit. also check out house of nanking east of chinatown near north beach, it has awesome chinese for real cheap, yeah, yeah, sorta trendy but it's still great. i've never had cash when i was out there, but if i did i'd hit gary danko's or someplace fancy like that. vegetarian, i don't really know much about that. there is one really fancy vegan? place downtown/embarcadero that i forgot the name of. it's been open a couple years now and sounded really interesting.

for graff i would say check out the areas in and near the mission, and down market, torwards geary. tenderloin and mission are always prime. last year i was there not alot of anything of substance however. i didn't even kill a roll of film, that imitation crab meat guy was killing with tags though. those dudes who used to come on here and post their stuff everyday were killing shit too, but something happened there i think. anyhow, good luck doo.

go to herbivore, it's a vegan restaurant on valencia around 22nd. amazing food. then go check out the pirate supply store across the street and down a block or two (21st or 20th?), it's the storefront for mcsweeney's publishing. really cool space, really friendly people. if you're ballin it on the corporate stipend, check out millenium, it's a much more pricy vegan restaurant. it's where hipsters take each other on valentine's day and anniversarys. amoeba records on haight is key if you want to do some digging, and there are some nifty shops around there as listed above. if i think of anything else you should see, i'll post up later, but i try to stay on the good side of the bay, so i'm not much for frisco info. have a good trip, and don't forget to pack hoodies. the fog and breeze at night can get to you.

oh two things, that place where they invented the fortune cookie in chinatown. i don't know what it's called, but they still make them i think. and there was a place called sam wo on a martin yan special that looked like good chinese food cheap, the real experience. i think it was frisco. the other thing would be bombay? ice cream, they have all these weird flavors and tapioca is involved somehow.

Originally posted by nomadawhat

go to alcatraz...one of the coolest touristy things i've ever done anywhere.

yeah..ill agree with this..ive only been out in those parts once that i can really remember, but the alcatraz trip was well worth the money...but then again, i rode the train for like 3-4 hours just looking at shit bombed, and i had fun doing that too....

Archived