*!i!i* GUITAR *!i!i*

styxx119

Originally posted by mikro137

if you are looking into amps/direct boxes etc etc look into a v twin.

well, pretty much all the stuff I'm looking at is around $175 at the most, so there's the budget to consider...

Last time I played out I borrowed a friends little 15watt Vox and ran that into a Crate 2x10 cab and I was as loud as I've ever needed to be in a small club setting, if I played any bigger venue I would just run direct and come through the PA... I don't like a lot of noise onstage, just enough to get me pumped but not so loud that my ears ring.

*oh, and seriously look into the low/no budget solutions before filing the bridge... if you fuck that up then you'll be out a guitar until you can afford a new bridge and then you'll probably be back where you started... almost all of those breakage type problems relate to string angle over the bridge (which you can't really change with a file) and picking technique (think about your attack angle). I play the blues and do a bunch of big bends and I honestly can't remember the last time I broke a string... I'm also not a guy who likes to change strings that often, I like my wrapped strings dead as hell and my wound strings just get a little harder to slide on but, meh...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

oh, and which one has the problem... I see a couple Floyd Rose's and the SG with a roller-matic and the stock Fender bridge... if your problem is the Floyd's, I'll hhave to ask my boy, I never liked those bridges, I used Kahler Pro's when I played like Steve Vai but I've since found myself happier using a solid tailpiece, bigger tone, more sustain...

Anyway, my boy has had like 10 guitars with Floyds so, he'd probably have some insight...

I've been thinking of buying a guitar the past few weeks.

What would you guys recommend for a beginner? Acoustic or electric?

Would it be alright to just grab one from a pawn shop?

Is it easy to learn from a book or would you recommend lessons?

Like I said, I'm just kicking around the idea, so any input is appreciated.

i dont totally know how to post pictures, but i've been building/collecting guitars since i was in 7th grade. i started out with a les paul 59 standard (reissue) body and built it up from there with seymour duncans. since then i've just been ordering things piece by piece. guitar is awesome...

Originally posted by effyoo

I've been thinking of buying a guitar the past few weeks.

What would you guys recommend for a beginner? Acoustic or electric?

Would it be alright to just grab one from a pawn shop?

Is it easy to learn from a book or would you recommend lessons?

Like I said, I'm just kicking around the idea, so any input is appreciated.

For beginners i started off with an electric, opinons may vary on that. Yeah I mean if you're jsut wnated to start off grab a cheap guitar and if you are gonna stick with it go get a nice guitar. I never took lessons, my brother taught me a few chords and stuff, but I just played it by ear. I've been playin for like 6 years now.

^good advice... most people aren't gonna get past the chord stumming part if they even get there... a ton of that has to do with wanting to sound like some guitar hero or something, then failing in the first year and quitting... best bet is to buy a cheap electric for ease of playing, you don't even need an amp, just learn to bang out a few songs and then decide if you need amplification... or if you fancy yourself a singer, get an acoustric because it will match your voice in volume better and do the same thing...

Mainly, try to keep first year costs under $200 (don't forget you need at least $75 worth of strings over that period)... if you like it, upgrade a little... just a little ($350 range for the guitar, don't count string costs anymore)... if you enjoy it still after 2 or 3 years and think you will keep with it, no matter how good you think you are, reward yourself with a guitar from the $700-900 range...

If you get in bands or anything this will all be accelerated (except the first year) and the rewards cost more...

Very true. I started off with a Squier Strat, then about 2 years later got a epiphoine SG and fell in loeve with SG's in general, then spotted a 1962 re-issue mohagany red gibson SG, cost a pretty penny, but I love it. I jsut need to buy an good amp, but right now I'm saving for a drum set.

electrics will be easier on your pussy ass fingers for the first year... if you get an acoustic you will probably beat yourself up so hard with any meaningful practice that you will quit... and it's something you have to practice, it's tricky stuff and that never changes but it gets easier... and you develop calousses...

Electrics can support MUCH lighter guage strings (thinner and easier to press) and nickel string (electric style) require a little less tension to bring up to tune

well I posted this last night but... the flick came out all blurry, I was gonna take another in daylight today but I didn't so... here's that same blurry pic of the entire collection, I'll leave it this time until I actually do take the better flicks...

Anyway, you can see a bit of the progression, the Hondo LP 'Blackie Lawless' is is my first guitar, the black strat 'ying-yang', a Squier, is my second... the SG came after many others came and went and the purple strat was something I picked up for a song but it's just a mexican made... I call it 'Prince'... it's my beater these days...

Guest mikro137
Originally posted by EyeforAnEYE

Very true. I started off with a Squier Strat, then about 2 years later got a epiphoine SG and fell in loeve with SG's in general, then spotted a 1962 re-issue mohagany red gibson SG, cost a pretty penny, but I love it. I jsut need to buy an good amp, but right now I'm saving for a drum set.

sg's are so versitile its rediculous.

unless you are serious about playing drums , my suggestion is to buy a beater set amd put a good set of heads on. like evans hydrolic heads (ive used these in the past , and they take a beatig pretty well). drums are a pretty big investment , but the benifits of haveing a solid beater set (usually fiberglass s or really shitty wood shells) outweigh the cost in the long run. regardless , be prepared to spend at least 500 when all is said and done (new heads , the drums themselves , cymbals and stands) , and honestly if you have a band and a space , its so worthwhile to have em laying around (easier to get everyone in the same place if you have a band....)

smart

kahler bridges are phenominal. floyd roses have offered me nothing but problems from day one. my charvell has the most bizzare floyd rose ever (im pretty sure its a FR knockoff of some sort). i have to take a picture later and show you.

Originally posted by mikro137

sg's are so versitile its rediculous.

unless you are serious about playing drums , my suggestion is to buy a beater set amd put a good set of heads on. like evans hydrolic heads (ive used these in the past , and they take a beatig pretty well). drums are a pretty big investment , but the benifits of haveing a solid beater set (usually fiberglass s or really shitty wood shells) outweigh the cost in the long run. regardless , be prepared to spend at least 500 when all is said and done (new heads , the drums themselves , cymbals and stands) , and honestly if you have a band and a space , its so worthwhile to have em laying around (easier to get everyone in the same place if you have a band....)

Yeah i've been playing drums for a while, but never owned a set of my own, I used my brothers set that was in the basement til he moved out. so i have been without drums for quite some time.

Archived