Automatic or Stick

Guest FUGITIVE

• 2 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stick

I have owned manual transmission cars pretty much my whole life. My wife and I taught our daughter to drive a standard-shift pick-up when she was 13. We went down to the stadium parking lot every Saturday and drove around and around and around, with her repeatedly stalling the truck and having to re-start it, etc.

Finally she figured out what the "friction point" of a clutch is all about, and she actually started to drive.

A few years later, her girl friend's parents were going to buy her a car with an automatic transmission. When she was telling me this, with a great deal of contempt in her voice, she said, "Dad, people who own automatics aren't driving. They're just steering."

That's the difference between a stick and an automatic.

With all that said, there are times when an automatic transmission is probably the way to go. Every van I ever owned except a '61 VW Kombi microbus had an automatic transmission. If you have to drive a lot in city traffic or traffic jams, an automatic is better.

If you talk on a cell phone while driving ("New York City? Get a rope!") or use a radio much, like a CB or a Ham radio, an automatic is better. If you eat or drink while you drive an automatic is better.

In mountainous terrain, off-road, in mud or snow, and when towing a trailer, stick is better. On long highway trips, stick is more economical.

And a lot of women and girls (who themselves may not be able to drive a manual transmission vehicle) do not respect a guy who cannot drive stick.

The Texas militia required it's members to be able to drive both manual transmission vehicles and automatic transmission vehicles--they consider it a military skill.

well it depends. if you can drive stick well then it uses less gas and its more fun, off the line you definately would hold advantage over an automatic. but, if you are driving a 1986 Honda Civic or some P.O.S. you probably want a automatic because whats the fun in a stick if you cant drive fast:idea:

Originally posted by FUGITIVE

alright!!....i saw this stick type r that im liking so i guess ill go for it.....thanks alot guys.

where the hell do u have type r money from? 25000 is quite a bit of money.... I'd say get a gsr then throw a b16 head on the engine.. and a new header... blamo type r made cheap.. well minus the type r tranny. but same shit.

Originally posted by dojafx

one thing that sucks about manual cars is that you cant get a remote start put in

but other than that, i'll take a stick shift anyday

gimme a ring ill do it up for ya.. bypassing a clutch is relatively easy. I have a viper 790xv remote start on my 99 gsr.. although you have to leave it out of gear, if it is in gear... your car will be far gone.

btw it is technically illegal but very doable.. I've done quite a few.

Originally posted by dojafx

one thing that sucks about manual cars is that you cant get a remote start put in

but other than that, i'll take a stick shift anyday

you can put it in the car. it's not usually covered by insurance but it's very easy to have put in. rather nice in the colder climates too...

Originally posted by anonymity1

I know someone who had problems with his remote start, and the shit just got set off one day and drove strait through the garage door.

let me dwell on this.. yes as S.Hawking said, if it is in gear... it will drive off.. how ever.. if you were to leave it in 4th or 5th.. its not gonna get any where considering theres not enough rpm's to even get the car moving. i work at circuit city doing car stereo/car security, and yes we are not supposed to do remote starts on manual tranny cars.

i drove automatic for about a year then i got a stick... now i cant stand to drive automatic. i think that automatic is the lamest thing ever, absolute control over your vehicle is prime.. even in city traffic.. you can down shift for a nice little kick to get around some one.. also revving up to scare pedestrians who think they are about to cross when they arent supposed too.. it seriously takes 1 day to learn the basics of stick... and if you can drive stick you can drive anything. bottom line.. no matter what stick owns automatic. (period)

i hate how in a lot of automatics just taking your foot off the break will make the car start moving forward.

get a manual.. its nice to have that much control over the car. granted it depends on what you're using it for, but the only people i've ever heard say that automatics are better than sticks are the ones who can't drive stick. i'm sure you'll like it once you learn

Guest FUGITIVE
Originally posted by S. Hawking

where the hell do u have type r money from? 25000 is quite a bit of money.... I'd say get a gsr then throw a b16 head on the engine.. and a new header... blamo type r made cheap.. well minus the type r tranny. but same shit.

i found one for 10g's withs only 30k miles......pretty sweet deal if you ask me....