Railroad maps

Neskoner

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by MaKeItHaPpEn

Is there any way i can find railroad maps,ive searched for a good while now on google n still havent found anything im lookin for,hopefully someone can help me out.

Try somelace like CSX's website or NS's website.

Yo makeithappen, you live in 502, look int the phonebook, the number for both of those lines are on the first page of the yellow pages. Try asking them.

Sometimes you just have to have the hookup..Like Fr8hound, for example..( thats me , by the way)..:cool: My neighbor, a few houses down, was invited into my house once, to check out my assault rifles..Anyways when he came into my office, he was like, oh shit, you're into graffiti? After a long conversation, I learned he use to work for Conrail, now Norfolk Southern, and was very familiar with graffiti, hobo's , and monikers..Now every few days he brings me stuff..Cr hats, pins, manuals, and tons of maps which cover a few states..not to mention a 2'' thick Conrail operating employee manual, which covers just about every fucking thing you can imagine, concerning railroad codes, operations, and the system in general..I also got a lantern..make friends I say, you just never know, when you have a retired engineer down the road from ya, which is an awesome friend to have..:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Railfan clubs

I have gotten some really good information from railfan clubs. They often have years and years of experience of watching/photographing trains, and know the tracks, yards, switches, etc. extremely well. Local model railroad shops sometimes have a multipurpose function as a supplier of model railroad stuff, railfan magazines, maps, etc., etc. And they are usually owned by long-time members of the local chapter of the National Railway Historical Society or some other group like that.

The local United Transportation Union or Brotherhood of Railroad Engineers union hall might be another place worth checking out. Tell them you've always dreamed of being a railroad engineer. All it takes is one good hook-up.

Stretch has friends who are MoW workers, train crewmen, etc. all over the U.S. As long as you have a positive attitude and aren't out obviously fucking shit up they will probably be friendly. Of course, if you are thuggin' in the rail yard, you are likely to get a somewhat less friendly response.

I used regular city maps, carefully highlighted all the rail lines, then carefully taped the creases with clear vinyl packing tape about three inches wide so they wouldn't tear. I wrote all the information I had on the map itself (names & locations of yards, towers, major junctions, known bull shacks, etc.) On the edges of the map, where the rail lines go "off the map", I researched where that line goes and wrote in destinations ("Shreveport", "New Orleans," etc.) You can figure a lot of it out for yourself, if you just use common sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to agree with Kabar on that one..2 things come to mind, immediately, when I think of gaining rr info...1) hoboes, 2) railfans..

I got alot of info from both. sometimes I think both parties know more than some of the workers themselves, no shit..Kabar, if Stretch is still with you, tell him and Burl, Dave, from Pennsylvania said howdy, and that the camp construction looks good...

FR8HOUND

Stretch and Burl are headed for Fulton, KY--the town there has a big junction and is friendly to tramps, plus there is a "permenant" jungle there. A tramp that is in prison in Texas right now, Big Tex, (not to be confused with our buddy Texas Mad Man) has a permenant jungle shack there, if the revengeful tramp he beat up with a dog stick hasn't burned it down already (as he threatened to do.)

Stretch got sidetracked en route to Amory, MS, and wound up spending three days stuck down a dead-end industrial feed to a big paper mill. Eventually they caught a train back up out of there, but Stretch was pretty pissed off. I'm not sure how they wound up down in the swamp--I guess he was asleep when the train took the switch off the Main.

Anyway, he's rolling again---headed for Fulton.

Ok Kabar, thanks, I was checking out his latest notes on Frans, hobo minstrel site. I'm sure I'll see him back up here late spring, early summer..He owes me a tour ride up to Maine and back, on the old Lehigh line..plus I got a ton of Pawnie Bills beef jerky, for Burl..thanks sir, have a good day.

• 3 weeks later...

Great RR Atlases and RR Maps too.

You can get great RR atlases and railroad maps from Desk Map Systems Inc., 3636 Executive Center Drive, Suite 150, Austin, Texas 78731. Telephone: 1-512-346-9330; FAX 1-512-346-9332 or go to www.deskmap.com.

The Second Edition of the "Professional Railroad Atlas of North America" is $74.95 +shipping & handling. You can get the 1st Edition for around $25. It's still a shitload better than what we had in 1970---"nothing" or if I was lucky, a gas station road map.

One poster wrote in and said "No way would I pay seventy-five bucks for a RR atlas when you can just go to the library and xerox them for a few dollars." Uh-huh. Well, I pored over my library stacks for several days and came up with "zip." The first $25 I spent with Desk Map was well-worth it. I got the 2nd Edition as a gift.

ANOTHER great source of priceless information would be to find someone who has a copy of the Crew Change Guide, and swear a blood oath to protect it with your life, LOL. A xerox copy runs about $10, to cover duplication costs.

With a copy of the PRANA and a CCG, you can go anywhere in North America, including Canada and most of northern Mexico.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by umpalumpa

MY LORD I think I just found a giant layup just outside of town because of mapquest.

props to the man who posted that link. :)

i'd be careful 'finding' spots via mapquest or terrafly etc..chances are someone else has already 'found' it. haha.. but then again..maybe not. who knows?

Archived