New Zealand

Crimsøn

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
maori is pronounced mow-ree (mow as in cow, not mow as in mow the lawn)

anyhoo....

auckland and wellington are the major cities. auckland is on the north island and wellington on the south. lotsa dope mountains to snowboard on, decent beaches for those odd times the weather doesn't suck, and a couple million people talking with funny accents

harro rara

Zealand (Danish: Sjælland; [ˈʂɛˌlænˀ]) is the largest island of Denmark. It is separated from Funen by the Great Belt and from Scania in Sweden by the Oresund.

Zealand is connected to Funen by the Great Belt Bridge and to Sweden by the Oresund Bridge.

The capital of Denmark, Copenhagen, is partly located on the eastern shore of Zealand and partly on Amager. Other cities on the island are Roskilde and Elsinore.

In Norse mythology, the island was created by the goddess Gefjun when she tricked Gylfi, the Swedish king of Gylfaginning. She removed a piece of land transported it to Denmark and it became the island of Zealand. The vacant area was filled with water becoming Lake Mälaren.

[edit]

Etymology

The name originates from the huge seal populations on the shores of Zealand, making the original name Seal-land (Danish: Sjæl-land, Danish for "seal": sæl).

New Zealand was not named after this island but rather after the Dutch province of Zeeland [1].

[edit]

Cities, towns, and villages

Copenhagen (København)

Elsinore (Helsingør)

Frederiksberg

Frederiksværk

Helsinge

Hillerød

Hundested

Holbæk

Kalundborg

Kongens Lyngby

Køge

Næstved

Præstø

Roskilde

Slagelse

Slangerup

Sorø

Tisvilde

Vordingborg

Vallensbæk

wow just reading my reply I ralise i just proved myself wrong

New Zealand was not named after this island but rather after the Dutch province of Zeeland

learn something new every day

OK Schnitz, but it's important for you to know, as well, that I believed you and I was kidding about asking Europe... but I do appreciate your research because, as you said, 'learn something new'...

also, Roskilde is cool because I'm hoping to make it to the summer festival someday soon and Elsinore is cool because it was the name of the beer company in 'Strange Brew'

mbpic12.jpg

• 2 years later...
maori is pronounced mow-ree (mow as in cow, not mow as in mow the lawn)

anyhoo....

auckland and wellington are the major cities. auckland is on the north island and wellington on the south. lotsa dope mountains to snowboard on, decent beaches for those odd times the weather doesn't suck, and a couple million people talking with funny accents

you fool, auckland and wellington are both on the north island.

Archived