Attn: Canadianites

oner

My wife and I are planning on visiting your fine country this March. We were planning on heading to Toronto, but now it looks like our easiest bet would be Winnipeg. Is Winnipeg worth the trip, or should we check out some other place(s)? All ideas and comments are appreciated.

your friend,

onerrockskiizm

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I want a nice trip, that's all. We were thinking Winnipeg because it would be a bit less of a drive, but from the sound of it perhaps it's worth the drive to Toronto. I'll have to break out the map and see about Montreal, though. I don't think I checked up on that one. What sorts of things could we expect to find in said cities that may be of interest?

ahhh... 12oz tour guides

forget winnipeg.

There's nothing there worth seing.

Vancover - weather will be nice and it's a beautiful city with tons of things to do.

Toronto - the big city that has all the action. It's so newyork that Mya's last video was shot here without even trying to hide the fact it's canadian.

Montreal - it's like europe but in northamerica. Definately a foriegn experience.

hit my email if you want details about anything

Guest kidlugz

i agree with the above sentiments. you're going to drown in boredom if you visit winnipeg, especially in march. if you're looking for something midwest try calgary--at least they have some mountains you can enjoy.

toronto in march is kind of a crap shoot. the weather here is really finicky, so it could be -25 when you show up or a balmy 15 degrees. what do you want to see? we've got loads of typical tourist shit if youre down with that. they're are lots of clubs that pump gino beats, clubs for indie rock scenesters, regular joe schmoo sports bars.....the whole spectrum. people here can be stuck up but the majority are pretty friendly. lots of shopping if you guys are big into buying crap. there are things to do you just have to look.

montreal is about the same except they have better graf,girls,bars,architecture,people,and food.

just don't go to winnipeg.

Neither of us is into the club scene at all. We do both enjoy improv/comedy clubs, though. Small bars are cool, and we could both handle an indie rock show or something. She's about the shopping, but I doubt we'll really have much money to drop. I guess it will still be pretty cold in March?

march can be hit or miss for the weather.

if comedy is your thing there's tons of it in montreal

but there's also some good stuff in Toronto. As for indy rock,

toronto is THE place to be. Plus there's tons of galleries and

other 'less-than-tourist' things to do.

check raven's 'city guides' thread for some info I put up about Toronto.

Guest kidlugz

comedy clubs in toronto are pretty good albeit expensive. 15-30 bucks a pop most weekends.

like i said, the weather here is unpredictable. during the first week of january the temp was hovering around 5-10 degrees some days. a week later we got smacked with a horrible cold snap that had the temp around -35 with the windchill. i recommend you postpone the trip until mid may or early june. that's the best time temperature wise. comforatable t-shirt weather without the nasty muggyness of july or august. toronto is pretty dope once it warms up. and like kilo said, toronto is the darling of indierock at the moment.

yeah, kilo. i've been in T.O for several years now.

Originally posted by Weapon X

It’s worth the drive to Acton.

says you!

I knew a guy from Acton and let me tell you.... it's NOT worth the drive!

and if you seethis, turn around and head the other way.

and for comedy... there's the Alt.Comedy lounge at the Riv every monday, and its cheap.

Vancouver

see i've heard some really good things about Montreal.

Toronto is okay apparently

i live in Vancouver-- and i like it

in march it might be a bit wet here, but its warmer than the rest of canada

and you're coming right before the end of the ski/snowboard season and we have AMAZING mountains

not to mention the Vancouver ISland whcih is kinda entertaining....

definately do not go to winterpeg

for the love of god avoid winnipeg and calgary

avoid this mans advice about going to calgary in march, it will be one big snowy ho down, and about 1/78th as cool as toronto. the mountains arent that cool, and youll have to drive another hour to see them. just stay away from middle canada at all costs, especially calgary unless of course you like a city with no culture, nothing to do, bad haircuts, tribal arm bands galore, and a city that looks like a giant frozen suburb, oh and its full of hillbillies too.

bc and westward will be ok in march, vancouver and westward would be the best. montreal is dope, as is toronto.

Originally posted by T.T Boy

for the love of god avoid winnipeg and calgary

avoid this mans advice about going to calgary in march, it will be one big snowy ho down, and about 1/78th as cool as toronto. the mountains arent that cool, and youll have to drive another hour to see them. just stay away from middle canada at all costs, especially calgary unless of course you like a city with no culture, nothing to do, bad haircuts, tribal arm bands galore, and a city that looks like a giant frozen suburb, oh and its full of hillbillies too.

bc and westward will be ok in march, vancouver and westward would be the best. montreal is dope, as is toronto.

you forgot the plague of hipster doofuses....

Originally posted by T.T Boy

But really.....as attractive as visiting me sounds, avoid Calgary like the plague......

I'd sooner go to PEI before Winnipeg. Just stay away from the prairie provinces as theres not a lot to do. Toronto, Montreal, and my hometown of Vancouver are the biggest things to see in Canada. I'm to assume that Winnipeg is close to drive to but honestly not worth the trip. I understand that Winnipeg is kinda in between Toronto and Vancouver and adds extra days and expenses to the trip but much definately worth it.

Alright, I think we decided on Toronto. It seems like it will be the closest anyway (only a 20 hour drive), and seems like there's fun to be had. We would definitely be interested in checking out some museums, and if anyone knows of some cool dives/ small bars, we enjoy that sort of environment. I must say thanks for the feedback, especially if Winnipeg is as horrid as you say. This may be a stupid question, but should it be a problem at all if we don't know any French?

Originally posted by oner

Alright, I think we decided on Toronto. It seems like it will be the closest anyway (only a 20 hour drive), and seems like there's fun to be had. We would definitely be interested in checking out some museums, and if anyone knows of some cool dives/ small bars, we enjoy that sort of environment. I must say thanks for the feedback, especially if Winnipeg is as horrid as you say. This may be a stupid question, but should it be a problem at all if we don't know any French?

:lol:

if you don't know how to speak french, you better not come to Canada

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by JohnnyHorton

:lol:

if you don't know how to speak french, you better not come to Canada

:rolleyes:

Sorry homie, I said it may be a stupid question though. I'd wager to say that I'm not the only American that is uneducated in regards to Canada, which is one reason we're going to visit. Thanks for understanding though. </sarcasm>

edit: Kilo- email sent. Thanks bro.

Ares, that’s from a commercial for The Olde Hide House in Acton.

K7, I bet Acton is a pretty shitty place, but I love bush parties.

I’ve always been curious about going to Calgary and Edmonton, but I’d rather visit the East Coast first. I have nothing against BC, but damn near everyone I know who travels in Canada goes west.

I like oner’s style. I actually just met a couple of guys from France at my bar the other day. And a while back, a couple of Texans got me laid by buying me and the girl I was with loads of shots. To this day I think Texas ain’t all that bad.

I’d visit my cousin in Houston if I didn’t think I might get snatched up for being a terrorist (which I’m not) and sent to Syria to be brutally tortured for a year.

You’re gonna like our museum, the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM), which I think you may be able to get into for free on Fridays. Also, the Art Gallery might be to your liking, but Gehry won’t be done with the makeover for a while. You gotta check out the CN Tower, if only for the glass floor exhibit (which I still haven’t seen), and if you have the money, you really should check out a Leafs game. If you can’t afford that, then go see the Toronto Roadrunners (Oilers’ farm team) for considerably less. As long as you’re in Canada, you might as well check out our national pastime.

Originally posted by oner

Sorry homie, I said it may be a stupid question though. I'd wager to say that I'm not the only American that is uneducated in regards to Canada, which is one reason we're going to visit. Thanks for understanding though. </sarcasm>

edit: Kilo- email sent. Thanks bro.

i know man...

i wasn't being serious, i was only joking...

its just that its a typical american attitude and we're kind of used to it... thats all

no harm no foul, enjoy your stay in our beautiful country ;)