My Works!

why write?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by albinomonkey

if i were you i would start off doing throwie letters and handstyles in pen only, and if you can't get it and get frustrated just keep doing it keep at it till you get it. thats all the advice i have nothing else is going to help you dude, throw ups can be beautiful

peace

yo man, chill with that pen advice, it's really not good advice to be givin and your not good enough to be givin it. Using only pen is a horrible idea when you can't even get nice letter structure down. You NEED to erase to fix mistakes and get your letters perfect and change em up. Pen won't make you any better.

Although when you get better structure and have ya basic shit down THEN you can try to freestyle shit with pen and no erasing to help yourself get shit down without having to erase all the time. Which helps when you need to paint... but it's not something to do when you still are improving letters and such.

I dunno, and it seems you use that advice (whereever you got it form i dont know) and man, don't use it... you'll improve way more being able to look at ya letters and fix every little thing til you like it. THen doin the same every piece you try to improve ya structure and style...

Just my opinino cuz you give everyone that stupid advice and it really isn't good advice and you shouldn't be givin advice when IMO your worse off than Heis is. I know I ain't the greatest or anythin either and maybe sometimes i shouldn't give advice, but whatever, the advice i give is usually about stuff in my relm of knowledge and what i can do and no more. Just my 2 cents on that...

And heis keep workin at it... personally your sketches are very unclean. Well the letters are. If you look your don't have nice straight lines or seem to know where to have ya bars thick and thin and you put weird humps and bumps all over making everythin akward. In that latest one you didnt and kept the bars nice thickness, work from that... remember to keep your bars parallel and when changing thickness do it gradually and have it flow nicely. I can't explain it even...try taking bold letters off ya computer even... look at letters like the S and P and stuff and where it gives and is thick and then thin. Copy the way it does that to know how to have changes in thicknesses of letters smoothly.

And jsut keep practicin....

sorry for all the typin also, i know its a lot.

iite thanks a lot for actually giving me some advice...i appreciate it, and for the pen thing...i dont do that shit anyway, im smarter then that...but one question, what you mean my lines are unclean? are they not straight enough? too crooked? what exactly you mean cause i dont get it...

well they aren't unclean like shaky, i just didnt know how else to say it. It's mroe the letters in general are unclean, just it seems you change the letter bars and make it look akward. For example. The E in the last blue sketch you posted the bottom horizontal bar. On a normal E like the ones I'm typing now it is straight and if you thickened you'd see it was perfectly straight and paralell. Now you can bend it and stuff to make it different and still have that structure, but you but this HUGE bump going upward on the top line, making it not paralell to the bottom line and throwing off the letter making it look akward.

Although it's not like you do it once and that particularly just pops out, its a thing you do throughout your pieces. Like the top right corner of the top left bar on your H. It has a bump going to the right that is just weird. And things like that... you should try not to throw those bumps in unless you understand where you can put them to make them flow and look ok. Which is another reaosn pencil is good cuz you can put them in different places and adjust them to fit. So I would try to not do that and keep everyhtin more paralell and simple now... you can try things like that later on when you figure it out, but for now it just throws everyhting off and doesn't look any good.

The other thing that is "unclean" is the way your letters curve like i said... Like your S. The middle part is fat and then skinny then you start going to the bottom part and on the bottom right it goes down more than the rest making it really fat there... and i dunno it just doesn't curve smoothly. And you'll learn that stuff as ya practice and jsut keep doin it and makin sure you concentrate on it cuz i think it's pretty important. I dunno, for me, I've always done that and when i started my first style i really picked up when i wanted to have a "style" was having all my bars the same width and all straight and everyhtin which taught me a lot about neatness and how to get the bends right and where to bend letters. Then when i started puttin curves i learned how to do it smoothly... so just keep practicin and those are things i really see that you should work on more.

hope some of that helps and if not, oh well... i tried...

A word of advice. When you draw don't put a lot of PRESsure on your pencil.

1: You'll make you stuff look worse in the long run.

2: If you try to shadow witha pencil you'll get all kinds of crap on your final image.

3: If you mess up you can easily erase.

4: your hand will thank you.

Also don't try to bite styles you should come up with one of your own.

Get a good backbone for your style and build off of that. Keep working!

what helped me out when i couldnt really get letters parallel and make them flow, was to get a calligraphy fat ass marker or something calligraphy and just do signatures and then in pencil imitate the tags in form and thickness......just my advice

Originally posted by albinomonkey

jayfo, youre gay and you type to fucking much

good for you bro... could care less if i type too much, iwas tryin to help and if ya think its too much dont read it. And I'm sorry if you offended by the fact I don't think you should be givin advice then too bad, because you really shouldn't be givin advice. Now stop with the beef and just shut up... I really could care less what ya do, but was there a need for ya to say tht I'm gay and type too much? Nah there wasn't... so shut the fuck up and go on practice or somethin.

heis

Your getting soooooooooo much better ... you can trully see some awesome improvement there... keep it up "DOG" you're already there!! just keep doing what you're doing and all.... NOw can you be nice to me??? :rolleyes:

http://img27.photobucket.com/albums/v80/heczoner/IMG_0394.jpg'>

^^either way... here's some help...^^ but I wouldn't take my help since my letters have no structure!!

The rules aren't really set in stone. Different people respond to different practicing methods...it's sort of on you to see what helps you improve the fastest.

When I first started...I would always pencil sketch first. I would spend a long time coloring and inking and making the page look pretty.

This was important to learn control, neatness, and finish...however, I'm not sure how constructive it was to my letter development.

Using pen only can be helpful if you do it the right way...I would suggest, as a begginner, work on one set of letters over and over again. I guess pencil would work too. But i'm not so sure that erasing and fixing mistakes is more productive then just doing the whole thing again and trying to get it right the first time. Repetition is a big part of learning letters. I could probably fill a room with all the napkin sketches that I discarded after they were done. View sketching as an excercise. Get a set of simple letters down pat (gang_star's method is a good place to start)...so you can bust em out perfecty whenever you want. Work on perfecting your handwriting before trying ellaborate tags. Paint regularly. When you feel that you have that style down...move on to another one.

Study people's work that you like...try to understand what they're doing and why it looks hot to you...Also take note of peoples styles that you don't like and try to understand why they don't work. Draw every day.

Also... It really doesn't matter to me what you write....however, there is a cat who writes Heist who is ill and fairly well known. If you plan on making a name for yourself in grafitti, you may run into problems down the line. Plus... is it pronounced like HICE like Rice with an H? That name doesn't sound that slick to me and as far as I know doesn't mean anything. I think you can come up with something more clever.

Just my two cents....take it for what it's worth.

Keep practing.

Peace

Well u still have a bit more to work on Like the I leave space in between the I stick and the circle! The 3d needs work like on the H under the middle bar it supposed 2 b a straight line u have a line through the 3d. Also the 3d under the S, make the left top curve on the S a bit more curvier! Im i confusing you?:lol:

Archived