life After the Oil Crash

thetrooper

Guest R@ndomH3ro
imagine if america had as much oil as the middle east how fuckin rich are country would be

Uh, hello. We are the only Superpower in the world.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest R@ndomH3ro

To scare you into accepting gas prices going up and to maybe persuade you to vote for some misinformed hippie that will run for election in the coming years, who will lead us to believe that the end of the world is near if we dont play to him.

I'm an idiot :rolleyes:

I live in the heart of oil country, within 50km's of the most cutting edge oil extraction technology in the world...

The only thing oil companies are spending loads of cash on is oil mining. To make more money from the oil they mined.

They pour vast expenses into developing cheaper ways to extract more oil from the ground. And how to mine it a little more safely in the water.... but that's about it. Oil companies really just care about money... and oil.

Oil companies care about profit, so they will still look for means of energy beyond oil. One of the few who is not is Exxon. Regardless of how safe they might be, they have no interest in sustainable future.

Places like Dupont and others are, like some said, on the forefront of these new technologies. Dupont is one of the largest researchers into applied nanotechnology.

These people will always look to get rich, in the present and the future. Groups like Environmental Defense Fund are encouraging them to look into new modes of energy production etc. One of the best bets we have is if we can convince these companies that their livelihood depends on become more agreeable to not only Consumption issues but Environmental ones. Unfortunately only some are going that route. The worst in terms of compliance is Exxon, they dont give a good goddamn about anything.

although i disagree about a lot that was written in this article (especially the part about humans turning to cannabilism, lol), i do fear the day when we've totally depleted our resources completely. however, i think it's streching it for the author of this article to say it's going to happen in the next 10-15 years.

oops, i posted last time thinking that it was a one page thread.

casek, thanks for those documents, they are very imformative and, to some degree, comforting.

a couple of points though. that graph and some of the supportive information references oil-shale, not crude, and shale is an alternative one, and more expensive. Also it is a ways down the road. To quote the informative and ostensibly level headed RAND report:

Consequently, at least 12 and possibly more years will elapse

before oil shale development will reach the production growth phase. Under high

growth assumptions, an oil shale production level of 1 million barrels per day is

probably more than 20 years in the future, and 3 million barrels per day is probably

more than 30 years into the future.

if the fanatical first post article was right, there will be a rocky road in the mean time, although i think this is unlikely. at the worst a period of high prices will occur, not just with respect to oil. and if the articles about saudi oil is correct (and we should not immediately assume so, since the entire arab oil producing community has a vested interest in maintaining at least the appearance of having a huge oil stockpile), then we should be decently set to avoid a crippling price hike. I do find the speculation that a lot of left wing dooms day talk is a ruse by big oil to make people more okay about the price at the pump intriguing, but ultimately unsatisfying, as the internal chevron memo clearly points out that sector volatility has made aggregate margins approach zero, and wacko lefty talk has been going on long enough that its effect on the margin would have already been seen. i do love pointing out to people who whine about big oil fucking the consumer that, in fact, since margins on derivatives are close to zero, the price of gas is close to the free market price, or for my fellow econ nerds, the price is the intersection of the marginal cost curve (which, in open markets is equivalent to supply) and the demand curve, i.e. we are paying pretty much what we should be, or rather, we are getting gas at a price that secures little economic profit for the oil companies (not real profit, this is something different and the oil companies take it in spades on account of the huge volume of their business).

what fries me the most is that the people who lament our dependance on foreign oil are the same people who would kill a man if he suggested that we exploit the tremendous crude fields in Alaska, even though the area in question is less than 1% of a huge area of tundra/wasteland. Which do you want more?

CONCLUSION/SUMMARY:

-we're probably a lot better off than the loudest voices on the issue would have you believe.

-there is probably enough oil to get us to the point where we are able to exploit the shale reserves.

-there is, in my mind, a chance, albeit small, that there is an economic slow down/recession/depression in the mean time.

-there is a 1% chance that economic slow down prevents the eventual exploitation of the shale deposits.

-think for one second, or more, before you piss and moan about oil companies. they are, by nature profit making organisms yes, but they also fund a huge portion of the R&D that will provide the next fuel source. they are not so shortsited as to think 'let's make as much as we can for the next 7-15 years and then call it a day and use our huge paychecks to try to survive the terrordome.' a lot of the senior leadership at oil companies will be alive/still pretty young when this alleged doomsday occurs.

as a corrolary:

-if global warming even exists, it is not as huge a problem as everyone thinks. global human emissions don't even come close to rivalling the output of volcanoes, which have been producing non stop for, oh, millenia.

final though:

-as long as the debate produces healthy changes, it is a good thing. people should think before stockpiling goods and arms though.

Guest R@ndomH3ro

We seem to buying a shit load of it. You know if you told some one in the 1930s that in the future people will be buying water in a bottle they would have probably laughed at you.

There's nothing more refreshing (that cool refreshing drink)

Than a cool, crisp, clean glass of water

On a warm summer's day (That cool refreshing drink)

Try it with your friends

New World Water make the tide rise high

Come inland and make your house go "Bye" (My house!)

Fools done upset the Old Man River

Made him carry slave ships and fed him dead nigga

Now his belly full and he about to flood somethin

So I'ma throw a rope that ain't tied to nothin

Tell your crew use the H2 in wise amounts since

it's the New World Water; and every drop counts

You can laugh and take it as a joke if you wanna

But it don't rain for four weeks some summers

And it's about to get real wild in the half

You be buying Evian just to take a fuckin bath

Heads is acting wild, sippin poor, puffin dank

Competin with the next man for higher playin rank

See I ain't got time try to be Big Hank,

Fuck a bank; I need a twenty-year water tank

Cause while these knuckleheads is out here sweatin they goods

The sun is sitting in the treetops burnin the woods

And as the flames from the blaze get higher and higher

They say, "Don't drink the water! We need it for the fire!"

New York is drinkin it (New World Water)

Now all of California is drinkin it (New World Water)

Way up north and down south is drinkin it (New World Water)

Used to have minerals and zinc in it (New World Water)

Now they say it got lead and stink in it (New World Water)

Fluorocarbons and monoxide

Push the water table lopside

Used to be free now it cost you a fee

Cause oil tankers spill they load as they roam cross the sea

Man, you gotta cook with it, bathe and clean with it (That's

right)

When it's hot, summertime you fiend for it (Let em know)

You gotta put it in the iron you steamin with (That's right)

It's what they dress wounds and treat diseases with (Shout it

out)

The rich and poor, black and white got need for it (That's

right)

And everybody in the world can agree with this (Let em know)

Consumption promotes health and easiness (That's right)

Go too long without it on this earth and you leavin it (Shout it

out)

Americans wastin it on some leisure shit (Say word?)

And other nations be desperately seekin it (Let em know)

Bacteria washing up on they beaches (Say word?)

Don't drink the water, son they can't wash they feet with it

(Let em know)

Young babies in perpetual neediness (Say word?)

Epidemics hopppin up off the petri dish (Let em know)

Control centers try to play it all secretive (Say word?)

To avoid public panic and freakiness (Let em know)

There are places where TB is common as TV

Cause foreign-based companies go and get greedy

The type of cats who pollute the whole shore line

Have it purified, sell it for a dollar twenty-five

Now the world is drinkin it

Your moms, wife, and baby girl is drinkin it

Up north and down south is drinkin it

You should just have to go to your sink for it

The cash registers is goin "cha-chink!" for it

Fluorocarbons and monoxide

Got the fish lookin cockeyed

Used to be free now it cost you a fee

Cause it's all about gettin that cash (Money)

Said it's all about gettin that cash (Money) (x9)

Johny cash (Money)

Roseland cash (Money)

Give me cash (Money)

Cold cash (Money)

(Repeat to fade)

Cash rules everything around me,

Move!

yo the global warming threat/panic is a fucking joke, fuck scientists, we just made shit more complicated with technology so the hell with it anyway, And by the way who in their right mind actually believes that they are in a position to actually enact change in this country? i.e. any kind of vast cultural/social changes, what I'm trying to say is I like this country and this earth the way it is, if things change for the better or worse big fucking deal. So all you fucknuts out there praying for anarchy or upheaval kill yourselves or learn to play the banjo.

P.S. America has a wonderful tradition of bowing down to financial interests.

it's true. right now they are working on a plan to get it out.

it's actually called "sweet crude" because there is very little refining they

have to do.

You know what that means!!!

LOWER PRICES!?!?

NO!?!?!?!

EVEN HIGHER PRICES YOU DOLT OUR OIL IS BETTER THAN SAUDI OIL SO 5$ a gallon it is!!!

yo the global warming threat/panic is a fucking joke, fuck scientists, we just made shit more complicated with technology so the hell with it anyway, And by the way who in their right mind actually believes that they are in a position to actually enact change in this country? i.e. any kind of vast cultural/social changes, what I'm trying to say is I like this country and this earth the way it is, if things change for the better or worse big fucking deal. So all you fucknuts out there praying for anarchy or upheaval kill yourselves or learn to play the banjo.

P.S. America has a wonderful tradition of bowing down to financial interests.

OHHH you are going to burn in the firey pits of satin. :scrambled:

Ok so lets continue this discussion.

Say OPEC countrys have all overstated thier oil reserves, which after further reading seems quite possible. Regardless if the USA has an absolute fuckload of Oil Shale or not, it means prices will still rise perminantly. correct?