The Advice Thread...

Overtime

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by onesecondple

http://users.wpi.edu/~tinylox/flicks/meak/meak-6.jpg'>

http://users.wpi.edu/~tinylox/flicks/meak/meak-7.jpg'>

To Meak: the way the bottom of ur letters bend back and the K overlaps (on the top one) looks kindve akward but other than that its a pretty nice style

the letters on the second jawn look a whole lot better im feelin that one a lot more

Guest Propaganda

Advice I've been told on here many times. Start simple.

I've been told from experience writers back home to start simple shapes of letters. Keep drawing and redrawing them so you get the basic feel of them. Example like taking letters from the cereal boxes you get and eat or looking at modern day lettering. (Or learn and read typography books). Once you understand the structure of a normal letter. You play with it.

Playing with letters to envolve takes some time. You will have to learn and decide when to make the letter change in certain areas without changing the rules of the structure. At the starting stages, I wouldn't worry about drop shadows and 3-d ends yet. Keep the basic feels for letters first.

Discard the crappy info or I guess take some thought. Just thought I try at some advice.

Well this thread is for advice... so i want some advice lol!!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid102/pb3f8301715069c4451496b02160ffab2/f9b72c03.jpg'>

Well, I really want advice on the whole style of arrows and such to get them nice. I dunno, it's jsut when i look at this piece and some tohers i do (sometimes i like my arrows tho), they look off... and then look at some of my favorite writers like... cope, jaes, yes2, ces, sew, web, etc... and it's like they got these arrows that don't seem like they were thrown in with much thought but at the same time are just perfect lol and look damn hot.

I dunno, just curious on tips on extensions and arrows and such. I'm gettin my letters down pretty well I think, also I got my connections and stuff between the letters down... I jsut wanan figure out a way to get extensions and shit off my piece to make it flow and look hot.

Any advice or should i jsut keep experimentin unitl i figure it out myself??

Guest Propaganda

Jayfo..

Not my style to use at all cause basically I can't do it! Tho I like the letters if you greak them down one by one except that Y dude. Doesn't stand out as much as the rest of piece. But that is just me tho. I say resketch it but with a better structure of the Y.

jayfo:

i say lay off the extentions and arrows for a bit ... just do the letters and maybe look at some web sites on typography and learn about what makes a letter. (stem, crossbar, etc .) also about all the extensions used in normal fonts (serifs, and all that shit) having that understanding will help you in ways you couldnt understand now and will make you adding that stuff to your work easy and thoughtless like all the cats you mentioned above !!!!!!

thanks propaganda and erizeno... yea, the Y is probably my least favorite letter outta all of em to do, i like it but sometimes I don't lol. But yea and erizeno... I think I might try not doing arrows and extentions for a while until I learn how to get em right. Though I feel like I do have a grasp on letter structure and what does make letters. I will definetly check out what you said about extneions used in normal fonts(serifs???)... I'll just keep tryin to figure it out, and hopefully it will get easy and thoughtless.

Also, I'm curious, do yuo guys think I got the hang of letter structure and conecting my letters together and stuff? Cuz to me I think so far I've got a grasp of letter structure and can make em look nice and flow also i seem to be able to put connectinos between the letters in palces that work. Just curious what someone else thinks bout that.

Anywayz, I'll check out stuff on typography and other letter gonts and stuff to see where they got extennios and stuff to maybe help me with extentions on my letters cuz its somethin i wanna get down.

jayfo:

i wasnt trying to suggest you dig into the typography stuff, cuz i think you lack in structure. learning more on the subject of typography will help you in the graffiti world to no end. the more you know about base structure the more you can abstract your stuff and have it still maintain its flow.

check out this site to start.

http://www.planet-typography.com/index.html

http://www.planet-typography.com/manual/images/anatomy.gif'>

serifs... bottom right corner

thanks erizeno... ill look mroe into typography but why did you say you arent suggesting it then say it'd help me to no end? That first thing you were sayin confused me lol.

Also, I'm gonna look into the typography stuff to help with strucutre but somethine lse that'd help is if ya could tell me why ya don't think i have godo structure or am lackin. Cuz you can say that or think it, but it helps when someone shows where it's lackin most or what mroe specifcally is the reaosn they think you lack in structure.

And any other opinions or advice on whatever form people is cool too.

Well your hand is alright cept cut it out with those retarded markers. They look kinda cool or whatever, but i have seen you do everyhting in em and they are played out and weird looking. Just use regular marker or whatever. And to get ya hand better justn keep practicin, lettin it flow and tryin new things... basically it, scribble hands a lot and as mucha s possible.

Ya toher stuff isn't too good, well I don't like it personally cuz it just don't flow well. You goin simple which is good, but you need to get each letter flowin a bit better together. And yea I'm tired so it's hard for me to think of much more to say. But just keep at it and practice... peace.

I'm gonna go to sleep...

im poor and only have the one marker..its a 44 magnum that i cut with a razor..i dont see how it could be played out since ive never seen anyone use it but me..im sure others have but not on this board..thanks for your advice but the hand isnt going to change..its how i write no matter what kind of marker i use..it will look basically the same.

Originally posted by JayFo

thanks erizeno... ill look mroe into typography but why did you say you arent suggesting it then say it'd help me to no end? That first thing you were sayin confused me lol.

what i meant by that was ... i dont think your structure is lacking now .. you seem to be getting a better handle on it. however no matter how good someone is at something the more practice and a deeper understanding of that will only help you go even further. hope that clears it up. if not just email me.

oh ok, i gotcha erizeno... thanks.

and Coot, I'm not saying it's played out cuz I've seen it a lot, I said it's played out that your using it cuz it just looks weird. Your actually hand will show through more if you have a regular marker or pencil or pen and not that double thing. And don't tell me your poor and can't get another marker lol... one makrer can cost like 2 dollars. Frikin buy a pencil even cuz that works jsut the same. It jsut will look better.

Also, I know your hand is your hand writing, but it will change if you let it and try to change it. I've changed my handwriting so drastically since I started becuse I always change the flow of my letters and change one letter to somethin different then change the others accordingly and get a new style and flow to my letters... tryin to improve my handstyle more and more. That's what oyou have to do keep practicin it until it looks better and better. I still have an ugly hand IMO lol and wanna get it better so i keep workin at it. You gotta do the same...

um well one thing aobut everythin ive seen you post, including your hand... it always slants left. It's like a lot fo the stuff i see has this weird slant to it and i dunno, it just looks akward IMO. Also, you just need to work more on ya structure and make everything neater. It's like your lines aren't paralell when they should be and when you curve them they don't curve correctly and fat and skinny in weird places that jsut doesnt look right. Like your I gets fat and then skinny and you right bar on the H does it also and then the lines dont even stay straight like on thleft side after the H bar it gets weird. Same with the top of the S and the top left of ya E... the bar has this bump and jsut lil things like that make ya piece come off not as neat and clean. I dunno, i jsut see lots of people who just start all do that... and it's a bad habit.

I personally used to have all my lines and bars paralell and the same thickness so it got me into the enatness all the time cuz if they all had to look the same, if anyhtin was off, it looked weird. So I'd say jsut keep practicin ya letters though until you get better strucutre and flow. Stop slanting everyhtin to the left and also make everyhtin neater...

Dunno if what i said helped, but i tried...

Archived