the GORILLAZ

Guest iced out mocha

Guest iced out mocha

what does everyone think of em? i didnt like em at first and now they are trendy as hell but theyve grown on me i like em alot now.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i love them. i bought the CD the first time i heard that 'clint eastwood' song. i thought it was all going to be del and more hip hop influenced since it was produced by the same guy who did dr. octagon.. but it's actually got a real mellow groove feel to it, it almost reminds me of Beck sometimes. anyway, it's an all around good album.

i got sunshine in a bag...

------------------

PRUDE - If I had nuts, you'd be on 'em.

Guest dukeofyork

they got del on a track, so its gotta be worth a shot..

the same guy that did dr octagon produced it? do you mean kool keith or the guy that produced dr octagon??

i heard del wasnt even on the whole album.i would never cop it.he was my man since if you have white nipples but yo that song is playyyyeddddd.they play it on the rock stations here.del deserved to blow but fuck that stupid shit.

i gota solar eclipse in a sack fucka.

ice cubes cousin caant hang wit the dirty half dozen.

he'll get frozen,in time and space.like that shit he write.only gettin one mic.

thas why his white bitch went dike.

licken mad carpet just like me.

wanna tes the boi holla and see.

its a great fuckin record...dont believe the hype.... i hate that people cant like shit if its popular, thats some immature shit...if its good, its good. and the gorillaz is good. in fact, anything dan the automator puts together is usually incredible, and this is no exception...its fat cause its a made up band, a made-up phenomenon....the guy who draws 'tank girl' does all the videos, and nakamura (automator) does all the production...every band "member" is just someone plucked from another genre...in fact, theres someone from every "scene" kinda represented on the record. its fat. dont sleep. and del, as always, is the fuckin man....if any of yall slept on the DELTRON record (another nakamura project) than cop that and the gorillaz tommorrow....you wont regret it...unless youre still concerned that anything popular cant poosibly be cool....in that case, crawl back into your 16-year-old head and let us all know how the "underground" is doing.

you could be real original while your down there and read some marx too. zzzzzzzzzz.

Guest iced out mocha
Originally posted by BoB Hope ONER:

i really liked it for the artwork.

i mean.. its not bad music.. nothing amazing.

but artwork.. and ad scheme..i thought was kinda kicking

but i was a fan of tank girl back in the day.. i even went to the theatre to see the movie.

shiiiiit donkey dickerooo.

tell me about it. theyre ad schemes are pretty slick.

Originally posted by niseNSF:

its a great fuckin record...dont believe the hype.... i hate that people cant like shit if its popular, thats some immature shit...if its good, its good. and the gorillaz is good. in fact, anything dan the automator puts together is usually incredible, and this is no exception...its fat cause its a made up band, a made-up phenomenon....the guy who draws 'tank girl' does all the videos, and nakamura (automator) does all the production...every band "member" is just someone plucked from another genre...in fact, theres someone from every "scene" kinda represented on the record. its fat. dont sleep. and del, as always, is the fuckin man....if any of yall slept on the DELTRON record (another nakamura project) than cop that and the gorillaz tommorrow....you wont regret it...unless youre still concerned that anything popular cant poosibly be cool....in that case, crawl back into your 16-year-old head and let us all know how the "underground" is doing.

you could be real original while your down there and read some marx too. zzzzzzzzzz.

exactly.

check out Kid Koala's personal stuff

banger-pilau

nice pilau....bump for kid koala!!!! - i saw him open for radiohead a couple of times this past tour...real dope...i was wondering what his personal stuff was like...really need to get that...

"in that case, crawl back into your 16-year-old head and let us all know how the "underground" is doing. you could be real original while your down there and read some marx too"

...nise, got your point, but im a wee bit older then 16 and not a big fan of marx, although if there is a 16 yearold out there reading marx good for you....but im just afraid of the radio and hype, granted i probably miss out on some, like ya said sometimes good is just good, but i cover my self also from the onslaught of shit...but i guess ill scoop one up....death to all and the streets will flow with the blood of the non believers if it ends up being pop chew it....r.

mental....hey i didnt mean anything ill. sometimes i slash a little too hard....this is just a gossip room after all...my bad.

trust me, my CD collection is much more indie hiphop and punk rock than it is britney spears anyway...im just saying its not an automatic "no" JUST BECAUSE its on the radio/mtv/bet/whatever, feel me? like at one point in highschool, i remeber it was real in vogue for jocks to like fugazi for a minute...and maaad people broke camp on ian and co., like, 'they sold out!'. my point is that the 'militant/its me vs. the world/16 yrs old' attitude gets old quick. the world isnt against anyone. it just aims for the middle...and most people dont want to look for the original pressing of such and such on blue vinyl, they want to go the the CD store and listen to music that makes them happy/makes them dance, etc....i aint mad at that. although, i was when i was 16. i guess thats my point...im the first to make fun of nsync and all, but its all relative, you know? didnt you ever just get to a point with "good" music (so elitist!!) where you're just like, "AAAGH, this is so pretentious!" and you just flip on the radio and theres some really catchy shit, and it just puts a smile on your face?? thats enjoying music without pertentiousness.....however, in our defense , its often enjoying music without taste too.

on a side note, maybe any of you know this "radio" track i keep hearing...its like a techno/dance song that they play on the dance station here in philly, i heard its called like "desert storm" or desert something, and its fuckin awesome. if i were in a graff video tommorow, id do a fillin to this song. it has no words, just a repetive cheezy techno sound..let me knwo if you know this song.

....haha no nise, i wasnt slighted in the least dood...dam internet...amazing how facial cues are so woven into comprehension...yeah i feel ya...but i waver man...i guess at my age my militant side is not dead...and yet i have this other side of me that says let it all exist as it is...if the people want britney give it to them...if it makes people happy, and i dont have to listen to it, then who the fuck am i to say anything...ya know...life is hard enough on people so fuck it, if it makes them smile....but then sometimes this miltant purist freak will lash out and wanna firebomb radiostations and think that mass media is drowning us with absolute shit!and i wanna drop matisse/mondrian/picasso and neitzche/ginsberg/steinback from the sky while playing miles davis/fugazi/tortoise...ah but then who im i to say that this is the shit people should view, read and listen too...im way fucking confused on this and really it does get it to me....and i do feel that art is fucking suffocating and dying...i used to think it was under the radar, but now i think we may be in a dark age....i dunno man....like ya said about fugazi, shit is just hot...i got into the way late...but yeah im not surprised they blew up...but in the same regards they have handled their art with the upmost care...like seattle, when all that shit blew up...i dunno im ramblin....someone help me cause i gotta find a happy medium without being stuck in middle america....plus so much gets shut out because it wont sell, whether it be music or canvas or theater...arrrggghh! help me out, anyone? hello?....i dunno be aggresive or be accepting and passive...confused....i need a cigarette, its a beautiful new england day and im stuck in my cublice coffin....r.

ps....i tip my hat to other post regarding your spelling error...not enough people care....

....yeah i edit for mis-spelling......

[This message has been edited by mental invalid (edited 09-05-2001).]

yeah, i finally saw the video/heard the song, fucking cool as hell. also saw the common/macy grey track next, not bad (first time watching mtv in a while). i'm going to pick up these when i have a few dollars. invalid mentioned kid koala, he's got a hand in a ton of shit that has been coming out and i have to say that i can't get enough.

yea Dan the Automator produced Gorillaz...his sound is just evolving, like Dr Octagon was beats, then Deltron got more musical and such, the recent EP he did 'For a Better Tomorrow' or some shit...that was just tracks he did with other artists, and then Gorillaz where it sounds like it's mostly music (I havent heard it all). I think I've read that all his shit is from samples or something...guy can put together a song from samples and it can sound like a band did it...weird.

mental invalid:

dont get me wrong, i can completely relate...4 years ago, i wouldve been even more vehemant than you. i think i was 16 for like 5 years! i remember when indie hiphop first started getting big, in like late 96, i would HATE on everything in hiphop...and it just gets OLD. just like all the HC shows i went to in the early 90's, like H2O yellin "my friends look out for me like famileeee!!!" i used to think that was the end all and be all of music...and people grow up, they move on. now i listen to shit like battery or 4 walls falling and its like laughable....all the str8 edge propaganda....its like goofy almost. but i am 23, and im a grad student, so im showing my years maybe...its just now, im kinda like, "i like what i like, you like what you like"...when you're older, you start to care less about convincing everyone else that what YOU like is what everyone should like....i mean, if everyone realized how great Lifetime is tommorrow, than lifetime wouldnt be the secret treasure it is for me (hello bastards LP), you know? ive been acroos the spectrum, from the dirtiest punk rock squatters, to ultra elitist law professors, from coporate internships where i wore a suit everyday, to holding cells in 3 cities...and the common theme? simple: theres no "right" answer...music is entirely subjective...you make it what you want it to be...if fugazi moves than cool, but if nsync makes you smile in the car, than so be it!!! theres no guilt in letting art, in all its forms, please you...like a matisse painting is beautiful, yeah, but to me, so is the lettering on candy-bar wrappers. is that shit "sell-out" art?? the point is who cares...britney spears is harmless if you let her be...who cares if its all force fed over the airways? jsut dont be force fed it! choose what you like and dont like from the media "smorgasbord" and go about your merry way. gorillaz record is really fat in my opinion, for lots of objective reasons....but if you dont like it, let it be because you dont like how it sounds, NOT simply because its on mtv..thats as stupid as the people who LIKE it cuz its on mtv...its the other side of the samme uniformed coin.

peace, bro.........

in case my tone translates wrong, im just yappin, no beef..!

...hahahahaha...woulda ya stop with beef comments! youre tone is just fine bro...like i said half me totaly agrees with ya...and i surely havent gotten as deep into indie as you...matter of fact i was kinda clueless about some of the acts you dropped...and i completely hear you about candybar wrappers too...hahahaha....i dunno though...i just see and hear so much shit and it irks the fuck outta me...i figured we were around the same age...but i guess ill always have this chip...like ill smile and nod and let people be, but ill be mumbling under my breath!...anyway like i said its a real confusing subject, and for me it goes beyond the scope of just music....do you shake people from sleep or just let them be...aaarrrgghh...nise, ya dont have to have answers, really im just fucked.....

"britney spears is harmless if you let her be"

........hmmmm.......i really wonder if that is true...okay i gotta work...dam internet...funny to my boy say the same thing about radiobands, but fuck, shit like staind or incubus, i dunno seem kinda wacked...im a college radio dood...and if you still got beef, meet me outside by the jungle gym 3 oclock after class big boy!!!......

making sense outta nonsense

r

Archived