Henry Chalfant photos!

STYLEISKING

• 4 months later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

sbp07_stylewars6_b450.jpg

sbp07_stylewars4_b300.jpg

sbp07_stylewars2_b300.jpg

STYLE WARS: REVISITED

Regi: Tony Silver, USA 2003, 34 min, engelsk dialog.

“Anybody who wants to understand what hip hop is all about needs to see a film called Style Wars.”

/ KRS-One

"The Holy Grail of hip-hop movies." / XLR8R

“Style Wars makes clear these guerilla artists gave hip-hop a visual element far more vibrant than bling, ho’s and violence.”

/ Rolling Stone

“Director Tony Silver and photographer Henry Chalfant led a camera crew into subways, parks and projects of New York City to shoot a documentary about graffiti. They ended up documenting something much bigger, the scrappy, formative years of hip-hop culture.”

/ SPIN

STYLE WARS is the legendary hip-hop documentary and a timeless film classic, the indispensable record of a golden age of youthful creativity and exploding hip hop subculture.

STYLE WARS: REVISITED features 34 minutes of “never-before-released” outtakes, new interviews, and “where are they now” footage.

Directed by Tony Silver, and produced by Tony Silver and Henry Chalfant, Style Wars captures the look and feel of New York’s ramshackle subway system as the graffiti writers’ public playground, battleground and spectacular artistic canvas.

The soundtrack features classics performed by The Sugar Hill Gang, The Treacherous Three, The Fearless Four, Grand Master Flash and The Furious Five, Trouble Funk, Rammellzee/K-Rob and Dion. New York’s kings of graffiti and b-boys own a special place in the hip hop pantheon. In Style Wars they continue to empower new generations with the original spirit of hip hop, as it reached out from underground tunnels, from uptown streets, clubs and playgrounds, to the world at large.

Style Wars was awarded the Grand Prize for Documentaries at the Sundance Film Festival in 1984.

New York’s kings of graffiti and b-boys own a special place in the hip hop pantheon. In Style Wars they continue to empower new generations with the original spirit of hip hop as it reached out from underground tunnels, from uptown streets, clubs and playgrounds, to the world at large.

STYLE WARS - Cast and Credits (in order of appearance)

Graffiti Writers:

DEMON, SE 3, SPANK, DEZ, SKEME, CES 157, MIN, IZ THE WIZ, QUIK, SACH, DONDI, SEEN, DUST, ZEPHYR, REVOLT, WASP1, NOC, KASE, DEE 5, TRAP, BUTCH, ZONE, KID 167, CAP, SHY 147, LI’L SEEN, MARE 139, DAZE, CRASH, PAZE, CEY, FUTURA, FRED, DURO …and many more

B-boys:

Rock Steady Crew: CRAZY LEGS, FROSTY FREEZE, KEN ROC, LENNY LEN, KIPPY DEE, LI’L CRAZY LEGS, TAKE ONE, TY FLY, MR. FREEZE, DOZE

Dynamic Rockers: KID GLIDE, WAVY LEGS, KID FREEZE, NELLY NELL, EDDIE ED,

FLIP-A-MATIC, LI’L FLIP, JUNIOR FASTBREAK, JOLY …and many more

Rap m.c. at USA: RAMMELLZEE

Concerned Citizens:

Barbara Andalcio (Skeme’s mother), Richard Ravitch (Chairman, M.T.A.), Mayor Edward Koch, Detective Bernard M. Jacobs, John Doyle, Linda Carolan, Harold Levine …and New York’s subway riders

From the Art World:

Tim Carr (The Kitchen), Mel Neulander and Joyce Towbin (Graphiti Productions, Inc.)

Director and producer TONY SILVER:

"Before we ever started to film it, Style Wars was a real-life movie that was actually happening out there. It was an epic drama taking place in the hearts and minds and across the whole space of my city. A big movie, with production values (and music) to match."

"Art, or vandalism? People always say: “If they’re so talented why can’t they do it somewhere legal?” Or: ‘”The paintings on the outsides of the trains are amazing, but the insides are awful.” But, one must ask, could there have been one without the other? Back then, Rammellzee, graffiti’s visionary poet and shaman, rhymed “the stain on the Number One train.” Novelist Philip Roth wrote about “The Human Stain” as the mark of whatever we humans can create. Like the subway graffiti burners of yore, it is a stain that can be buffed away. But it is the mark of who and what we are, and it cannot be eradicated."

Photographer and producer HENRY CHALFANT:

"My involvement with subway art began in the mid-seventies, when as a sculptor I moved to New York to be close to the center of the art world. Each day, as I rode the subway to work, a panorama of names and cartoons paraded before my eyes, and I was filled with curiosity about the mysterious artists responsible for it all... ...It was in this spirit that I set about photographing subway art. The fact that the average art work would survive for only a few months at best and that the style was constantly changing contributed a sense of urgency to my project... ...I started to take pictures of graffiti in 1976 when I could no longer contain my curiosity and my enthusiasm for the flourishing and rapidly evolving art that I was watching on the NYC subways... ...Eventually I met graffiti writers. I became a sort of unofficial archivist of their art. They supplied me with information, which became an invaluable aid to my efforts to photograph the best and most beautiful pieces while they were still fresh. My close relationship with writers (after they got over their fear that I was a cop!) put me in a good position when the art world got interested... ...Eventually this work led to my collaboration with Martha Cooper in the creation of our worldwide best-selling book, Subway Art, and launching my own filmmaking career."

STYLE WARS: REVISITED is a 34 minute presentation, designed to be screened with the original film, combining old unused footage and more recent interviews that take a fascinating look at where many of the artists are today. Featured are interviews and/or outtakes with Dondi, Shy 147, Kase 2, Crash, Lady Pink, mix-tape king DJ Kay Slay (Dez in the original film), Crazy Legs, Frosty Freeze and Ken Swift of the Rock Steady Crew, Skeme and his desperately worried mother, Barbara Andalcio, Seen UA, Min One, Iz the Wiz, Doze, Duro, Mare 139, and the notorious Cap—plus transit detectives Jacobs and Hickey. Guest artists are: Fab 5 Freddy, Guru, Goldie, DJ Red Alert, Lee Quinones and Blade. Included is extremely rare archive hip hop footage from the 70s and 80s, and Hall of Fame photographs of classic graffiti art subway cars. New music is contributed by Definitive Jux artists El-P, RJD2, and Aesop Rock, plus Mr. Wiggles, Kimson “Angola Red” Albert, David Chalfant, and Darryl Jenifer.

http://www.stylewars.com

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
Im sure it did sell well but also heard its one of the most stolen books ever.

How ironic.

It was and still remains the most stolen book ever. WHSmiths stop stocking it due to a reported over 80% theft rate. I read that in The Times newspaper a few years back in an article about shop lifting. Apparently the moment music tapes stopped selling profts at music retailers increased due to tapes being so easy to rack up.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Just so Dope, The last FBA, train is so fresh, and way ahead of its time..So much style!!!!!!!!!!

PS Is that style wars flick a screen grab from a "new" DVD/BluRay Video ?

I've not seen that train before?

Nice one..

• 4 weeks later...

Archived