Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ski Mask

In Praise of Idleness

I was looking up some online copies of stuff by bertrand russell so I could cut and paste a long passage that I didnt feel like typing out of the book, when I ran across this article. I know theres a few people on here who will love this, so here it is:

In Praise of Idleness

By Bertrand Russell http://www.inquiria.com/russell/idleness.html

"I think that there is far too much work done in the world, that immense harm is caused by the belief that work is virtuous, and that what needs to be preached in modern industrial countries is quite different from what always has been preached."

"Let us take an illustration. Suppose that, at a given moment, a certain number of people are engaged in the manufacture of pins. They make as many pins as the world needs, working (say) eight hours a day. Someone makes an invention by which the same number of men can make twice as many pins: pins are already so cheap that hardly any more will be bought at a lower price. In a sensible world, everybody concerned in the manufacturing of pins would take to working four hours instead of eight, and everything else would go on as before. But in the actual world this would be thought demoralizing. The men still work eight hours, there are too many pins, some employers go bankrupt, and half the men previously concerned in making pins are thrown out of work. There is, in the end, just as much leisure as on the other plan, but half the men are totally idle while half are still overworked. In this way, it is insured that the unavoidable leisure shall cause misery all round instead of being a universal source of happiness. Can anything more insane be imagined? "

"In the past, there was a small leisure class and a larger working class. The leisure class enjoyed advantages for which there was no basis in social justice; this necessarily made it oppressive, limited its sympathies, and caused it to invent theories by which to justify its privileges. These facts greatly diminished its excellence, but in spite of this drawback it contributed nearly the whole of what we call civilization. It cultivated the arts and discovered the sciences; it wrote the books, invented the philosophies, and refined social relations. Even the liberation of the oppressed has usually been inaugurated from above. Without the leisure class, mankind would never have emerged from barbarism."

its not that long an article...give it a read....

good stuff....i loved the quote about the pin manufacturing....

------------------

brick, brick ,brick...thats how i be up against your girlfriends ass...

i'll read it when I am sober..i read the firs half of it and i could not compreghend...so I will read it tomorrow...for now..good night...i type prett y good to be drunk..go me . I knew i was good at something.

------------------

til I change my mind..STRAIGHT EDGE!!!!!

It’s amazing that Russell wrote most of those essays in the early part of the 20th century. He was definitely thinking outside of the box.

------------------

Al

Stonecutters #1

Guest cracked ass

Yes...perfect...I want to slice the top off a thousand skulls, drop this article in there, and sew the scalps back on.

I feel bad for anyone who doesn't have the English skills or the attention span to read and absorb this shit. You watch too much TV...or you work too much. Stay educated, stay sharp, the powers that be want you just the opposite, don't fall for their shit. And quit your job.

thanks for the post ese.

i used to think about this stuff alot more a couple of years ago.......when i was loafing around after jobs......

this would be a good thing to mass email friends and family with....

and write out on a wall or somethin'...

[This message has been edited by brown twinkie (edited 09-06-2001).]

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this