=+= J's Mega-awesome-thread =+= "The Plan" =+=

Guest j

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting better at those pushups already, but those planches are hard! I guess it frustrates me when I can't figure something out right away.. I'll get the hang of it eventually.

Welcome back tearz!

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by dr.testical

mammero whats to good word son. its tue. you still at the video store location? went by a few times but yet to see any lights on and havent bothered with that asian since the tue bike seat incident. holler at me. i got myself a job at a liqour store so we should kick it if your still around. liqour for all!

Haha, I had no idea that was you, man... What's up??

Nah, no longer in Providence. Moved back to Puerto Rico over the summer, have no idea who moved in. But hey, there's some stuff I didn't have time to bring with me in the storage room (if they haven't thrown it out yet), so if you feel like breaking in sometime and grabbing it for me, I'd buy you ice cream.

Pinup, I'll post the tucked planche instructions over the weekend. Just wanna make sure everyone's got the frog down pat. In the meantime, just keep doing it and building your wrist strength, you're gonna need it. The tucked planche is a pretty big step from the frog and it's not easy.

If you've already got the frog really really good and want just a slight edge of difficulty, try placing your actual kneecaps on your elbows instead of the insides, so that your legs aren't splayed out. Requires more balance.

this thread fucking rocks... i have also been trying to get in shape. mainly trying to improve my running ability and stamina. i would consider myself fairly fit, i skateboard and i walk everywhere. however, i cant run for shit. i am quite short and stocky, so my physique does not lend itself to fast leg motion well. aside from actually getting out and running which i have been doing, does anyone know any cardiovascular type exercises to assist in building stamina? any other pointers for me in learning how to run fast?

hi.

dear j,

i haven't read through the thread, i don't have time..

but i did read the first post..

your goals are totally attainable.

once you set an objective, realizing it can be the easy part..especially when you get those first results..

i remember setting out to become a good writer.

it's taken about a decade, but i made it happen.

there were times in my life when shit would happen and i would feel tremendous satisfaction washing over me, giving me that motivation to continue..

these days, i feel ok about who i am, but i am far from finished with my own development..

good luck with yours.

go vegetarian

eat all the soy and veggies and healthy food you can get your hands on, even when it becomes expensive. (learning to cook helps)

get a bike

don't smoke cigarettes.

and as far as being more silly, don't pay attention to the people you're gonna embarass with your new found freedom

not everyone is ready to break out of society's mold, but the world needs more people like that.

"no shame in my game"

p.s. i've met a lot of good peeeps throug the board too, no need to feel strange about pouring it all out around here.

this thread rocks.

Ok the planache things? Ive been doing those for awhile just fucking around...but what do you do like...three sets of holding yourself up?? good excersize none the less..

Mams...whats the one, where you set up in that pose, but instead of balancing your body centered like that you shift to the left (or right) and lift your body parallel to the ground? I started doing that also after seeing heather graham talk about power yoga on leno one night...its hard but pretty fun.

J you should def. pick up a sport like raqcuetball or tennis...they work you out pretty damn good, and can get pretty fun. (just gotta find a friend to go out there with obviouslly)

El mammero,

id gladly get it for you. just tell me where the storage is. i can surely get it if that asian on the third floor is still there. ill spit some fly game with some white kids hyping me up in the backround ( WHAT!, DIS KIDS DA ILL BOMBASTICA, WHAT!) and shit will be all sweet from there. storage is right in when you walk into the door right its on the right? wherever. just let me know somehow i got aim my sn is eynay6 holler if you got jah aim.

anyway. i picked myself up Twyla Tharp The Creative Habit. book from this bookstore and a pair of new balances for some winter running which should be fun. i could say im making progress somewhat. oh and them pushup things i got on lock. word to life.

j. mammero. holler at me. one love

Yoink, no need to do sets or anything... just holding for a while a couple of times throughout the day is enough excercise. I know some people probably have it down pretty good already, but I'd recommend a day or two more of getting your wrists prepared for the tucked planche.

And I don't think I know what yoga stance you're describing... doesn't sound familiar. Pictures maybe? Or maybe a more detailed explanation... I'm intrigued.

Tue... I'll holler soon.

Originally posted by SteveAustin

Hopefully Tesseracts method of teaching swimming isn't the same as my dads.

step 1: Find body of water.

step 2: put down beer

step 3: pick up child

step 4: throw child into the water

step 5: pick up beer

step 6: tell child to swim

I learned the finer "techniques" of swimming later.

this is exactly how i learned to swim. with the added benefit of learning to hold my breath under water by way of daddy dragging under water and not letting me go. Good Times.

Don't bother wasting your time reading this.

Wow.. I hadn't clicked on this thread since

there were about 10 posts... damn.

It's weird the people of 12oz seem to follow

strange group patterns, though entirely independant

of one another. I shit you guys not, for the past

couple of weeks I've also been making a

conscious effort to better myself... or further

the 'character building' I'd sort of abandoned

some 2 or 3 years ago (letting myself drift

into routines and bad habits).

It feels good, honestly. Reading threads like

this and Casek's I'm almost convinced for a

bunch of criminals we're some pretty well-

aware individuals. Well I'll be a sonofabitch...

Lately I've been stripping myself of 'wants'

as opposed to 'needs' (trying to tap that

fraction of Monk values, if you will). Though

I can't pretend I'm gonna escape to a

convent or this is going to come overnight

it's fulfilling to say the least.

I'm making a conscious effort to cut meat

back out of my diet, having been a vege

for some 4 or 5 odd years this should not

be too difficult. What made me decide this?

I'm tired of feeling like I've got a stomach

full of lead half the time after I eat, thus

making me feel weighed down, thus making

me feel sluggish, thus affecting my entire

mood. I, like a few of you have noted, also

do not get enough exercise (which I plan

on working on too) to break down meat

at the rate it needs to be broken down. That

coupled with a slow metabolism leaves for

a sorta chunky 26.. even if I do only eat

once a day.

I cut soda out of my intake. It's been 3 days

now and I can tell you honestly my throat

and stomach are thankful... having been

consuming about 1-2 litres a day for the

past couple of years has been taking it's

toll.. and I realized while I don't eat much

at all I was not losing any weight and

I'm by no means too skinny. Well, I like

vagina and chubby cheeks don't get it as

much as I'd like to let on.. so I dropped that.

I've heard of people losing 10-15 pounds

from quitting pop alone... figure I'll give it

a spin.

Cigarettes are next on the roster. I can

honestly tell you that I used to smoke ungodly

amounts of pot a few years back. However,

I did not smoke cigarettes and I often found

myself noticing I was considerably more

"on point" than the people I surrounded

myself with. Well, I started smoking squares

and slowly noticed my energy levels diminsh.

I liked feeling alert.. I was in love with that

feeling. I want it back. And I'ma take that shit.

I plan on smoking less wheezy, too. I can't

honestly say this will ever be entirely out

of the picture. I don't drink and I like to be

able and lay back from time to time with

the aid of a substance. Like I said before,

while being vegetarian and smoking dub I

still felt entirely healthy.

And my depression and anxieties... well,

after years of feeling helpless and almost

shamefull in having these feelings I finally

admitted to myself about 2 months ago that

I may have had a nervous breakdown at

some point.. or things just got too chaotic

and I buckled... but I didn't break. It's a

funny feeling finally having this 'burden'

relieved (if you will) and honestly I haven't

felt this good in a long while.. figure fuck it,

while I've got my head up I might as well

try to spit on the sun.

I must say.. there's a level of personal

honesty in a lot of you that I've learned

from. I don't even know who said it, but

'Don't tell yourself anything you wouldn't

tell your best friend' was some of the best

advice I've heard. Sure, that sounds like

I'm contradicting the honesty level I just

mentioned.. but nope; if you had that thought

you already acknowledged it. There's no

reason to dwell on the negative.

Now, proceed to not reading this.

Guest BROWNer

Re: hi.

Originally posted by !@#$%

eat all the soy you can get your hands on

yes, and watch yourself become the king of bloated gas flatulationism.

girls love that.

I only read the first page of responses so if this has been said already I'm sorry for being the broken record.

By you starting this thread and showing hundreds of people, who will judge you and make a snap decision by one post no matter how "interweb-down" they were with you before you opened yourself up alittle, is showing that you are stepping in the right direction... if you weren't there already. Even now I was sitting here trying to difuse a way to say I admire you for being able to open up and discuss problems you have with yourself without the possibility of losing any cool points I may have. And there's something I should work on, I am worried about what people I will never meet think of me.. and in my eyes that's a problem.

So anyway, don't ever doubt that you didn't bring more funk than 95 percent of the people on this board. Good luck with not only this small detour in your life, but everything from here on out.

Originally posted by El Mamerro

.........And I don't think I know what yoga stance you're describing... doesn't sound familiar. Pictures maybe? Or maybe a more detailed explanation... I'm intrigued.

word, I always thought they were kinda fun, and just been trying to see how long I can stay up, dif positions of my elbows and legs...trying to push up etc....good stuff...as for the other one....eh...it is kinda tough to explain...maybe ill get my gf to flick me doing it, and ill get it up here...no promises tonight...since im gettin drunk in....3-2-1.

Ill check back. hopefully no alcohol induced fake me out brakdancing, yoga posing will happen tonight!

Re: Don't bother wasting your time reading this.

Originally posted by 26SidedCube

I'm making a conscious effort to cut meat

back out of my diet, having been a vege

for some 4 or 5 odd years this should not

be too difficult. What made me decide this?

I'm tired of feeling like I've got a stomach

full of lead half the time after I eat, thus

making me feel weighed down, thus making

me feel sluggish, thus affecting my entire

mood. I, like a few of you have noted, also

do not get enough exercise (which I plan

on working on too) to break down meat

at the rate it needs to be broken down. That

coupled with a slow metabolism leaves for

a sorta chunky 26.. even if I do only eat

once a day.

I cut soda out of my intake. It's been 3 days

now and I can tell you honestly my throat

and stomach are thankful... having been

consuming about 1-2 litres a day for the

past couple of years has been taking it's

toll..

About the meat thing, do you find it a genuinely noticable difference in your general wellbeing and health, attributable to vegetarianism? i have been wondering whether going vegetarian may make a difference to my health, because i definitely know that "sluggish" feeling...

i too have been cutting soda from my diet, purely for the fact that i know how bad that stuff is on your body. the only time that i occasionally drink a coke is during my dishwashing shift at work. i have replaced it with water (and iced coffee, my vice). i can say for a fact that cutting out soft drinks has a noticable effect on your body. soft drinks are one of the worst things that you can drink to try to rehydrate youself, the caffiene sugar and mixture of chemicals actually dehydrates you even more. replace soft drink with water, your body will thank you for it.

Re: Re: Don't bother wasting your time reading this.

Originally posted by wiseguy

Yea, cutting meat has a noticable effect on

how you feel in your day to day. Obviously

you've gotta repalce the protein with beans

or something so you don't turn into PopGunWar.

Nobody wants to look anemic so eat your beans. Mums the curd.

I've quit soda before (fuck that sounds weird)

and I know it makes you feel better. My only

vice is Snapple and Arizona Iced Tea. Snapple

has just as much sugar so I drink it less. For

the past week or so I've been luggin' a jug to

quench my thirst. 2/3 of all nerve gas patients

agree gallons of water are the way to go.

Quitting cigarettes is gonna be the bitch, though.

i'm a stress eater.

i was working on some serious studying and applying business this past fall and early winter, and i got back into eating candy and drinking soda. shit that i usually avoid. but i was stressed the fuck out. now i'm trying to lose the bad shit once again, and it ain't easy.

Guest imported_Europe

This thread has a feel-good vibe to it. I guess some people call that funk.

I should start improving my life too, but I cant get the motivation flowing: Im in the worst slump of my life. Not doing what Im supposed to do, not doing the "smart" thing. Not thinking about my future, not having any goals. Drinking too much, smoking too muc, blazing too much. Wasting too much time online.

Then its good to read a thread like this and see how other people are trying to better their life. I wish you the best of luck.

Originally posted by bute

yeah i can see the 12ozers worldwide falling on their faces but where going to be the toughest community in the world when your all done. thanks for the 10 push ups 9 breaths etc program thats the perfect kindof thing i need to re bulk up my arm as i fucked it up recently. and when my bones are strong enough i too will be falling on my face. on a lighter note my house was on fire yesterday and it was all my fault. i got it out by the time the fire brigade got here. it was funny people were congradulating me for putting it out but i was the stupid fuck who let it happen in the first place. ironic. J your a mad cunt and i am bummed i didnt click on this thread till now. i missed out on a lot of funk.

bute, you gotta explain this fire thing a little better, im curious.

Thanks to everyone who has shared great advice and has said some very nice things about all this. I was hoping that a few of you would respond positively to this thread, but I had no idea I'd get this much of a response out of it. I have a lot more respect for the users of this message board today than I had before.

Thanks to the mods for making this a sticky.. that will help me out a great deal to follow this through and not forget. Right at the moment I'm sick and not feeling so great, but I'm hoping to get some more exercising done in the next few days when I recover.

Originally posted by TEARZ

i'm a stress eater.

i was working on some serious studying and applying business this past fall and early winter, and i got back into eating candy and drinking soda. shit that i usually avoid. but i was stressed the fuck out. now i'm trying to lose the bad shit once again, and it ain't easy.

I'm the same way. When Im real stressed, I eat a lot. Not candy, but multiple meals. I guess I shouldn't really complain, because I don't gain any weight.

One thing I have noticed is that because I've been eating a lot more than usual, and forcing myself to hit up my curl bar everynight, my insomnia has been great compared to earlier this month, and I've even gained a few pounds.

Next on my things to do list is cut down on marijuana. Not smoking it, but buying it. So many better things my money can go towards.

Originally posted by bute

i deepfried some chips and left the oil on the stove while i ate them in another room. i heard it burst into flames and ran in to the kitchen to find the entire stove and the area around it in flames. i put water on i then realised that wouldnt work because it was oil burning. so i grabbed a rug off the floor of another room and threw it over the pot then wrapped it up and took it outside and threw it on the grass (my hands got burnt like motherfuckers). by this time the top meter or so of the room was filled with smoke. i went back in and used another rug to smother the rest of the oil still burning. the fire had spread to the exhaust fan and cupboards above the stove so i got the outside garden hose and ran it inside and sprayed all that down. i then realised it was in the roof so i told my sister who kind of stressed out at first to call the fire brigade. i jumped up onto the roof and then one of my neighbours came to help. i got him to pass one of the garden hose up to me on the roof and he took the other one inside to make sure it didnt flare up again. up on the roof i jammed the hose into the flew (where the exhaust fan comes out on the roof) and sprayed all inside there while i ripped of the roof tiles around it where the fire had spread into the roof. i then ripped the flew right out and sprayed everything down with the garden hose. just as i got everything out the fire brigade rolled up. most of the kitchen is fucked and a section of inside the room needs to be replaced.

That is seriously hardcore.. glad to hear nobody got hurt.

Vol. 2: The Tucked Planche 101

So you got the frog down good. You can hold it for 10-15 seconds no problem. You have an understanding of what it feels like to suspend your body in the air. Your wrists are beefed up.

That's good, cause the frog is pretty damn easy strengthwise compared to the tucked planche:

http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/Tuck_Planche_th.jpg'>

http://www.american-gymnast.com/tt/paralletteguide/images/exercises/tuckplanche.jpg'>

That's what it looks like. No more bones holding you up, this time it's pure muscle. Balance is only part of the equation this time... now you're gonna beef up your shoulders and triceps, as well as your wrists.

Doing it is fairly straightforward; whereas before you put your arms between your knees, now they're gonna go on the outside. Simply crouch down until your knees are against your belly/chest, and place your hands slightly wider than shoulder width on the floor. Slowly lean forward and as before, shift your weight up into your arms, doing your best effort to keep them as straight as possible, but at an angle to the floor. Your back and torso should be somewhat parallel to the floor.

It'll be quite tough to hold this for more than 2-3 seconds at a time at first. As a matter of fact, I just held one for 10 seconds and I my arms were shaking like a puppy by the end. Being able to hold a tucked planche is one of the most crucial steps in achieving the real planche; once you have enough arm/shoulder strength to hold the tuck, you have all the upper body strength you're gonna need. The rest of the planche is all lower back and legs. Expect to be trying this one for quite a while before you can hold it for a decent amount of time.

If you wanna complement the arm strengthening with some serious ab work, try doing tuck sits and L-sits:

http://www.american-gymnast.com/tt/paralletteguide/images/exercises/tucksit.jpg'> http://www.american-gymnast.com/tt/paralletteguide/images/exercises/lsit.jpg'>

These are also tough, particularly keeping the legs straight in the L-sit. The reason I recommend learning these as well is because they'll let you do a particular excercise in the future that helps a shitload in strengthening your back and shoulders (L-sit to tucked planche transitions).

And of course... experiment. Once you can hold a tucked planche for a few seconds, try stuff like going into a frog from it; use that as your rest stop, then go into the tucked planche again. Doing stuff like this helps build strength immensely, not to mention makes it more fun.

Next up, Vol. 3: Tucked Planche 201.

Guest imported_Tesseract

Man, i tried the frog numerous times and i fell on my face before i even start just by thinking of all the 12oz frogs in different timezones...that shit has me laughing hysterically...anyway, i better get serious and shape up...mamerro delivers.

:cool: 12ozFrogsLeague:cool: