zoloft

casekonly

Originally posted by rebsBK

hows that temezapan working? is he gonna keep you on it?

be carefull though, before i got put on klonopin i self medicated myself with 2mg of xanax a day for 3 weeks....dealer ran out and i had to go cold turkey...just three weeks caused horrible withdrawls...very nervous,insomnia for two days, crying in the shower, the sweats, etc...

it's working out quite nicely. i go to sleep early, i wake up kinda spacey and tired, though...it's really ok, all in all.

i feel something weird, and i'm sure it's from the zoloft...but uh, you guys and gals who have dropped 'cid before will know what i'm talking about...

you know that funny feeling in the base of your neck about 15 minutes after dropping? i feel that all the time now. i'm guessing it's got something to do with the serotonin receptors, or serotonin firing into those receptors...something...anyway, i'm quite passive, as i believe i've mentioned before. maybe a synergistic effect.

the doc is only keeping me on the temazepam for 2 weeks, but a fluke at the pharmacy happened and i got 20 of the little pink and blue pills. heh. i can hardly wait for the withdrawals (sarcasm)...i know benzos are hard to quit once on them for awhile...for now, though, i feel good.

the meditation is helping alot. found this local buddhist temple. i'm considering attending for awhile. i just need to get myself centered again. i'm working hard at it.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by seeking

there isn't a single anti-depressent that begins working in less than 2-4 weeks.

if you have anxiety along with depression, anti depressents can make the anxiety alot worse for the first month or so till your body adjusts to it.

moral of the story is that you're flat out wrong, sorry.

Duh, that was a given.

*edit, the two to four week thing any way, I didnt know the anxiety part.

well, they had me on 25mgs for the first four days, then upped me to 50mgs.

i don't know the reasoning for that, but i would assume it's either to get my body used to it or to get alot more into my body very quickly.

the liquid poo's came back last night...sucks. stupid zoloft. i had to take two anti-poop pills to make it better.

water bombs suck.

bullshit huh?

"Depression and anxiety disorders usually require long-term treatment because of their chronic (ongoing) nature and the risk of relapse. So, even if you begin to feel better, it is important to take Paxil for as long as your doctor advises. Do not stop taking Paxil before talking with your doctor."

"Don't get discouraged if your symptoms don't improve right away. It could be several weeks before you start to feel better. "

www.paxil.com

if i wasn't at work, and pressed for time, i could find you exact scientific studies stating that there is not an SSRI in existence, that effects any kind of actual change, in less than 2-4 weeks (at the earliest)

seeks/sorry, but you're wrong.

Originally posted by seeking

bullshit huh?

"Depression and anxiety disorders usually require long-term treatment because of their chronic (ongoing) nature and the risk of relapse. So, even if you begin to feel better, it is important to take Paxil for as long as your doctor advises. Do not stop taking Paxil before talking with your doctor."

"Don't get discouraged if your symptoms don't improve right away. It could be several weeks before you start to feel better. "

www.paxil.com

if i wasn't at work, and pressed for time, i could find you exact scientific studies stating that there is not an SSRI in existence, that effects any kind of actual change, in less than 2-4 weeks (at the earliest)

seeks/sorry, but you're wrong.

you are correct, sir. but i do feel different. i attribute it to the temazepam and the meditation...the breathing techniques that i'm using are also a big part of it.

the temazepam is more or less just making me feel sedated, while the zoloft is slowly making me more passive.

i'll say it one more time, anxiety and depression are habits. word from a clinical psychologist. the drugs are only temporary so that my emotions become more blunted and i learn how to control them properly.

for now, life is good. i'm happy, although, i'm somewhat sedated and not sure of what "happy" really is... j/k

i am happy. just doing something about my situation made me feel alot better, the drugs are a bonus, and the meditation is a (hopefully) life long practice.

if you're feeling something immediate, it's the benzo's. zoloft will make you feel 'somthing', but it wont instantly help depression.

while anxiety and depression might just be 'habit' for some, it is not the case across the boards. there are actual chemical changes in both conditions, that create them. conditions that can not always just be 'willed' away.

its really no different than implying if someone just meditates hard enough, that they can buck their dependency on insulin shots.

there are defanitely things that people can do (meditation, excercise, etc) that can help a ton, but its not always enough, and not always permenant.

best of luck to you though. ive got quite a bit of experience in dealing with all this, (including 'alternative methods' of coping) feel free to drop me an email if theres anything i can do.

seeks/kunga da kunga, no, no, kunga -golunga.... so i got that going for me, which is nice.

i hear, ya seeks. thanks.

i agree, some things are chemically related, and of course diabetics can't just will away the diabetes. but we can change out minds, mindset, etc.

my mom has been on zoloft for 10 years now, and i've got an aunt who's been on paxil for 11 years. they're (imho) just using the pills as a "cure all" and not working on their minds at all. that's kinda wrong to me, but who knows? i'm not a doctor (i do play one on tv, though).

minds are developed through environment. we are raised to believe alot of things, even on the subconscious level we take in alot, and it shows in our actions...our daily lives reflect what we have been taught. i think alot of times rewiring is needed to get the ole' brain working properly again...but, as you said, and i agree, sometimes it's a chemical imbalance.

my cousin is a manic depressive with adhd. he's all fucxored up in the head. he takes his meds, but doesn't try to work on techniques to get himself through situations that frustrate or anger him. sometimes, he'll just stop taking his meds because he feels like he doesn't need them, but it's obvious to everyone on the outside that he does...i guess if he's happy...i'yunno.

drop me a line seeks. casekonly@yahoo

no email at work.

if i havent gotten with you by tonight, hit me up.

seeking@12ozprophet.com

i agree. there are tons of things that people can do help themselves, that they dont. but sometimes life gets so pulluted, and fucked up, that you cant even begin to see how to make sense of it. thats where meds really come into play. as a tool to help get you above water.

some people will be stuck on them forever, some wont, but people that say they are useless, make me want to pee on them.

it still amazes me that people dont seem to notice the issues and problems that 'young' people face, and see the corrolation between them, and the drug use and lifestyles of the 60's and 70's.

no wonder everyone has add, when our parents were on so much coke they couldnt see straight.

I'd tend to suggest celexa, less side effects for most people, and I've never heard of a doctor prescribing anyone restoril before this, usually xanax & klonopin, but as others have said watch the withdrawls on those. Even when taken as prescribed you'll probably be dependant within 6-18 months and have to be very careful about stepping off to avoid seizures / horrible symptoms. I've been through it before on Klonopin, not pleasant.

yeah, benzos are dangerous. my insomnia had come to a point where i was sleeping maybe 2 hours a night until my body just wore out and i passed out for maybe 6 hours.

the anxiety and depression were really bad, they came first. alot of worry, especially in traffic or stores. i'd get nervous and feel like people were watching me. the depression kept me from proper work habits, i was chain smoking, smoking too much tweed...thank goodness i'm not all that on alcohol. i hardly ever drink, but i could have been drowning my sorrows in a bottle.

the worry and the insomnia were probably the worst. just worrying about things that are probably unimportant to others, seemed like hell to me. it's all kinda vanishing in a mist, now.

i'm clean and sober, save for the scrips.

seeks, i'll email you in a bit, just to get the flow going. i have a rough time remembering to email people when i'm supposed to...so, i'll go ahead and make a point of it.

i decided way too late...for me, it was when the sleep issues started becoming a huge problem...not that they weren't before...

i really should have done something about it a long time ago....but i try to live with no regrets now...take that any way you'd like.

if you think it's starting to get to be a problem, go see your doc and seriously consider meds and self therapy. i.e.-meditation, church, whatever you feel. learn to be completely comfortable in your own skin and you will start to become comfortable around others. the med help, though.

Good Thread

Pretty much everything that's been said here is more-or-less what I see with patients at work. Of the common SSRI's, Zoloft is considered to be the "mildest." It has very few serious side effects. The incidence of sexual dysfunction is pretty low, although it did affect my brother-in-law like that, and he stopped taking it. Other than getting loose stools for a couple of weeks, it hasn't bothered me much.

Like Case, I started feeling better almost immediately. Within a couple of days, I was feeling like a million bucks. I'm a psych nurse, and I KNOW this is impossible, since I give Zoloft to my patients all the time, so I attribute it to "doing something" about my problems with depression. My anxiety attacks took the form of what seemed to be a heart attack. It scared the shit out of me--that trip to the hospital ER was some scarey shit. So I started getting healthy.

The doc put me on Zoloft 50mg/a day, Prilosec for gastric reflux and Zocor 80mg/ day for elevated cholesterol, and 1000mg of fish oil pills to lower my HDL's (high density lipos). I quit drinking coffee entirely--I was drinking about 10 or 12 cups a day. Now I drink herb tea about ten or twelve cups a day, LOL. No caffiene, though. That much caffiene was fucking up my heart rhythm, causing it to skip beats and all manner of fucked up cardiac wierdness.

Since I'm taking Zoloft, I cut my drinking way back. I might have a glass of wine or two, that's it. I also went on the Atkins Diet. Man, Atkins ROCKS. I dropped about thirty pounds since I started it. Soon, I start running every day.

Don't be afraid of anti-depressants. Zoloft works pretty good, but I didn't like Paxil at all. Made me feel zonked out.

kabar: what's this funny feeling in the back of my neck? it's like when i used to drop acid...that little tingle type thing that starts...it last for quite some time...

also, any suggestions on what to do about the temazepam the doc prescribed to me for two weeks? just taking one isn't working anymore...it is only a 7.5 mg, but damn...i don't want to be going through withdrawals...

thanks for the words, highly appreciated.

peace be with you

I got prescribed Zoloft 50mg, to take once a day today... I've taken one so far and all its done is made my shit runny ahaha... Dunno about this not drinking thing on them... I intend on getting really drunk monday night so i might not take em for next 2 days then start the course...

Doctor wants to put me on benzo's too going back friday to see about that...

take an anti-poo med. it'll help....make sure you eat well, too...it helps "solidify" if you know what i'm sayin'.

right now, i'd say go for it, as far as taking zoloft is concerned. don't drink on it, skip the daily dose the night you go out drinking. my mom said it gave her horrible migraines if she took her zoloft and had any alcohol.

i quit drinking, so i wouldn't know. (remember, i'm a bartender...that should get a laugh out of someone).

anyway, it's been 8 days since i started, and i feel good. it does dull the emotions, though...you need to prepare yourself for that. i'd suggest what i have been doing recently...practice being calm. breathe in and say to yourself "i'm breathing in" breathe out and say to yourself, "i'm breathing out" i know it sounds stupid, but it really helps the mind and body connect again. people usually just do that stuff without thinking about it, if you think about it, then it starts to calm you in a whole new way.

also, recommended reading (recommended by a clinical psychologist friend) a book called "peace in every step" by thach nhit hanh. good stuff. another book by him is "the miracle of mindfulness" although i've had a tough time finding that one.

hope it goes well for you.

Cheers for the advice. I will look out for some books along those lines...

Good to see you feel good on it so far tho, keeps me with a kinda positive look on it...

peace

no problem. you've got to expect some things, though...like i said, it will blunt your emotions. that was a good thing in my case. i tend to let my emotions/worries get to me.

the smallest things would upset me in the worst ways. things that i shouldn't have worried about fucked me up.

right now, i feel comfortable. the benzos help me sleep, except for now...

i only took one, i'm about to take a second. i doubt i'll pass out any time soon, i've built up an immunity....my posts will just get more and more slurred and whatnot. that sucks.

one thing i did learn form my friend, the clinical psychologist, depression and anxiety are habits. now, chemical imbalances, as seeking was discussing, can affect these things, too...but, you've got to learn how to control your emotions and let your reasoning take over instead of your impulses....if you were prescribed zoloft, i'm sure you know what i'm talking about.

it's a day by day thing, don't expect immediate results, but don't close your mind to them. after talking about it, as i mentioned earlier, i felt great...just by going to the doctor and being honest with him about what i was feeling....i was honestly praying for xanax...but...it may be better this way.

definitely go pick up that thach nhit hanh book "peace in every step" even if you aren't a student of buddhism, it will really help you begin to learn about yourself, and learn how to relax within your own mind.

if you're a christian, you may find another book interesting, it's also written by thach nhit hanh, titled "living buddha, living christ"

• 3 weeks later...

well, they put me on 100mgs of zoloft now. i'm beginning to think that doctors are just glorified drug peddlers. the "ass urine" has not stopped, i've been feeling what i was told is vascular contractions in the base of my neck..sorta like when you take 'cid...the feeling you get about 15-20 minutes into it.

i've also done some research adn read many things about people having a hard time getting off of zoloft. some attempted suicide and had previously never considered or attempted it before being on zoloft. i'm attempting to ween myself off of it, presently. it may be a good thing for some people, and it helped me a little, but now, these side effects, even tonuge swelling, are making me feel kinda fucked up. i've lost 5 lbs. i don't need to lose wieght...

Originally posted by casekonly

well, they put me on 100mgs of zoloft now. i'm beginning to think that doctors are just glorified drug peddlers. the "ass urine" has not stopped, i've been feeling what i was told is vascular contractions in the base of my neck..sorta like when you take 'cid...the feeling you get about 15-20 minutes into it.

i've also done some research adn read many things about people having a hard time getting off of zoloft. some attempted suicide and had previously never considered or attempted it before being on zoloft. i'm attempting to ween myself off of it, presently. it may be a good thing for some people, and it helped me a little, but now, these side effects, even tonuge swelling, are making me feel kinda fucked up. i've lost 5 lbs. i don't need to lose wieght...

That's why I never touched any of it.

rental: no, i don't have to wear depends. i just have to be careful about farting, no joke.

i didn't take any zoloft today. it has a half life of 26 hours, so i won't know what happens until sometime later tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

i hope it's not that bad for me coming off of this shit. i'm giving my doctor a call in the morning letting him know what is happening as far as the liquid shits and whatnot. i was just going to ween myself off of this stuff, but now i'm just quitting cold turkey.

i'll keep you guys updated on what happens just in case this shit really has severe side-effects.

Archived