Hey Gun Nuts.. I need some help

Guest wakassOATH

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Milton and AE (my computer won't do that little "AE" thing)

Milton---first of all, if you are under 21, it's against Federal law for you to own or have unsupervised access to a handgun. You must be 21. If the cops catch you with a handgun (especially in today's legal climate) they will try to charge you with "minor in possession of a firearm", which is a pretty serious charge in Texas. One of my patients did eight months in Juvenile Detention for MIP of a handgun.

In Texas, you must have a Concealed Handgun License to carry a concealed handgun. Even an adult, caught carrying unlicensed, goes to jail automatically. I know a woman who was stopped and found to be carrying in her car, and the cops let her go with a big lecture, but I wouldn't bank on it.

That issue aside, there is the question of design of a carry pistol. Revolvers are more dependable, but bulkier and have less ammunition capacity. Automatics for carry should be "double-action" (DA) because in a serious self-defense situation, you won't have time for screwing around with a safety. DA autos are very safe--as safe as a DA revolver. But--they can jam. Always test a carry gun with the ammo you are going to use in it, to ensure that it functions flawlessly. Dependability is much more important than caliber, "knock-down power" and all that. If it doesn't function when you need it to, you are fucked.

9mm is a common SD round, but it overpenetrates. .45 has tremendous knock-down power, but most .45s are too large to be easily concealable. .40 is a good compromise. Double-action ONLY. An old-style autoloader, like a Browning Hi-Power or a Colt Commander, or a Star are too slow to put into action. If you need to use it, you don't have time to fuck around with it, disengaging the safety, etc. You need to be able to yank it and go to work. I like Glock, Kahr, Taurus--all the small DA autos.

The .41 Mag is an old-style magnum revolver round. They were pretty common about 1975. I never owned one, but I shot several. It's better suited for holster carry and small game hunting than self-defense. It's performance is more-or-less in the ballpark with the .357 Mag, and .357s are much cheaper to buy and shoot. Personally, I stick with military ammunition only. .45, 9mm, 5.56mm, 7.62x39mm, 7.62mm NATO, .30-'06, etc. I do own a couple of oddball calibers (8mm Mauser) but it's a very commonly available oddball caliber. If the shit ever really hits the fan, those guys shooting wierd calibers are going to have a very difficult time finding ammunition. I'd stick with .45, 9mm, .357/ .38 Special or .40. The rest of them are just recreational cartridges, for all practical purposes.

Re: Milton and AE (my computer won't do that little "AE" thing)

Originally posted by KaBar2

Milton---first of all, if you are under 21, it's against Federal law for you to own or have unsupervised access to a handgun. You must be 21. If the cops catch you with a handgun (especially in today's legal climate) they will try to charge you with "minor in possession of a firearm", which is a pretty serious charge in Texas. One of my patients did eight months in Juvenile Detention for MIP of a handgun.

In Texas, you must have a Concealed Handgun License to carry a concealed handgun. Even an adult, caught carrying unlicensed, goes to jail automatically. I know a woman who was stopped and found to be carrying in her car, and the cops let her go with a big lecture, but I wouldn't bank on it.

That issue aside, there is the question of design of a carry pistol. Revolvers are more dependable, but bulkier and have less ammunition capacity. Automatics for carry should be "double-action" (DA) because in a serious self-defense situation, you won't have time for screwing around with a safety. DA autos are very safe--as safe as a DA revolver. But--they can jam. Always test a carry gun with the ammo you are going to use in it, to ensure that it functions flawlessly. Dependability is much more important than caliber, "knock-down power" and all that. If it doesn't function when you need it to, you are fucked.

9mm is a common SD round, but it overpenetrates. .45 has tremendous knock-down power, but most .45s are too large to be easily concealable. .40 is a good compromise. Double-action ONLY. An old-style autoloader, like a Browning Hi-Power or a Colt Commander, or a Star are too slow to put into action. If you need to use it, you don't have time to fuck around with it, disengaging the safety, etc. You need to be able to yank it and go to work. I like Glock, Kahr, Taurus--all the small DA autos.

The .41 Mag is an old-style magnum revolver round. They were pretty common about 1975. I never owned one, but I shot several. It's better suited for holster carry and small game hunting than self-defense. It's performance is more-or-less in the ballpark with the .357 Mag, and .357s are much cheaper to buy and shoot. Personally, I stick with military ammunition only. .45, 9mm, 5.56mm, 7.62x39mm, 7.62mm NATO, .30-'06, etc. I do own a couple of oddball calibers (8mm Mauser) but it's a very commonly available oddball caliber. If the shit ever really hits the fan, those guys shooting wierd calibers are going to have a very difficult time finding ammunition. I'd stick with .45, 9mm, .357/ .38 Special or .40. The rest of them are just recreational cartridges, for all practical purposes.

http://matrix-explained.com/photopost/data/505/113Architect3-med.jpg'>

KABAR

Too bad Columbine wasn't a "bully-free zone."

Then our late-but-not-very-lamented Trenchcoat Mafia would have been able to walk around the school acting oddly, and the jocks and bullies would have just said "Yo, Klebold--nice coat, man. I respect yer right to be as wierd-ass as you please, because I've had Loser Sensitivity Training that opened my eyes to how excruciating it is to be an adolescent depressive in a suffocatingly middle-class, mostly white suburb. Say, do you write poetry? I'd like to read some of it sometime, if you don't mind. Are you growing dreads? Wow. Cool. Uh, I mean, chillin'."

I think the guys that armed Harris and Klebold should have gotten life without parole. I think the people that bullied and harrassed them should have gotten about three. I think their parents should have been held responsible for the damages and civil lawsuits, the Sheriff and his deputies should have all been fired, their psychologist and/or psychiatrist should have been disbarred.

We have 20,000 gun laws in this country, and these two idiots broke about seventy-five of them before they ever got to school that day. Gun laws are worthless. Two teachers armed with .38s could have saved all those kids lives but two.

You know any wack job teenagers who want to shoot up their school? DROP A DIME ON THEM. Know any bullies? Drop a dime on them too.

Re: 26sidedcube

Originally posted by KaBar2

That's scarey man. Where'd you get my picture?

Oh that?

I hit the 'reverse image capture' button on my

monitor and it took a picture of whatever was

at the center of the internet. It just so happened

to be a knowledgable older guy talking guns at

the time.

I just didn't think you'd have such an interest

in Keanu Reeves.

:D

Mr. Kabar,

Thanks, I'm probably going to go with a .40 caliber. I am going to be over 21 in 4 days and counting. And I do agree that 2 teachers with .38s could have ended the whole columbine thing in minutes. I hope to be one of those teachers, or janitors, or lawyers, etc...

Also, what is it that you do? You said something about patients. Curiosity is my weak point...

Holler

Milton

I'm a psychiatric nurse (an RN), but I have done a whole bunch of things to make a living. Mostly I was a welder, machinist and truck driver, but I worked as a hospital orderly, security guard, beer truck driver (pretty cool job--sort of like working on the set of Cheers )janitor, diesel truck service mechanic, wheat harvest driver and mechanic (green peas too), general farm hand, construction framer, concrete pourer, etc., etc.

I hopped trains in the '70s, and joined the Marine Corps Reserve in 1976, then the regular Marine Corps in 1977. Made sergeant in 22 months.

I've done a whole bunch of stuff.