south of the border music

ubejinxed

the US border that is.

so music from central and south america i guess.

i'm sure you are all aware of my somewhat sick obsession with all things brazilian, much like LENS' asian girl thing. unfortunately this fixation is not only for that lovely country but also all things south of the border, especially the music. the following are things i've found and like, i'm not sure about the dates on them though.

sooo to start this off

some brazilian music i've enjoyed

new stuff reggae inspired - O rappa, gabriel o pensador, cidade negra

samba related - bezerra da silva, daniella mercury, carlinhos brown, u can look up 'escolas de samba' to get the super drum heavy carnaval samba music, , zeca pagodinho, beth carvalho, codel do fogo encantado, ivete sangalo

Axe music/pogode (most brazilians i've talked to think this stuff is super retarded but i like it, it means backyard music) - Banda Eva, Olodum, E O tchan, Timbalada, artepopular, revelacao

MPB(musica popular brasil) - Caetano Veloso, Gilberto Gil, Elis Regina (mother of MPB), Tom Jobim. excellent stufe - JORGE BEN (love this it's kind old tho), marisa monte (love her too), skank (new), jorge vercilo, bahia black (experimental sound)

bossa nova - bebel gilberto, gal costa, airto moeira

other cool stuff that i don't know where it fits- cassia eller, ze ramalho (classic), racionais MCs (brazilian rap), olodum (good drums)

electronicish - Zuco 103, soulstice

i've forgotten a lot but they're on different disks i can't reference right now.

anyways i'd love to hear more recommendations or whatever.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i have a freind from brazil who parents have a resteraunt in the south end. the food is fucking amazing.

i cant remember the name of the drink, but they have these botttles of a soda-type beverage that comes from brazil, fucking awesome.

yeah lot of help i am, i know.

this is from another thread:

el mamerro

As for the artists:

- frankie j: Not quite sure, though the name sounds familiar...

- hector tito: That's actually two guys, Hector y Tito. They have some pretty awesome songs, but Tito's voice is the single most annoying force in the universe, and the worst part is he thinks his voice is amazing and therefore tries to sing stff he can't possibly pull off.

- Don owar: It's actually Don Omar, and this dude is AWESOME. Download stuff by him at will, his shit rocks. Pure unadulterated DPC goodness. If you check my iTunes Most Frequently Played List, his song "Dile" comes in at #7 (it's now at #3, that picure is from 3 weeks ago) because it's just that fucking good. It'll actually be the theme song for a DPC thread coming soon. If you dig whatcha hear, cop Daddy Yankee and Tego Calderon as well.

- mala rodriguez (have to get this one, must be related to me somehow): She's pretty dope, lazy voice over downtempo hip hop for the most part. There's songs by her on the "Y Tu Mama Tambien" and "Lucia y el Sexo" soundtracks. Not entirely my cup of tea but I can see why a lot of people like her.

- baby psycho: No idea who this is.

- juanes: This guy is sick. Very talented singer/songwriter with some fucking catchy-ass pop tunes.

- Orishas: I've seen one video by them, and though the song wasn't that good, the video was AMAZING. That's all I know.

hmmmm....

susana baca is peruvian and she's one of my favorite singers.

Antonio Carlos Jobim is a composer with some good brazillian stuff. I also like Paulinho Moska and Maria Creuza.

whereas Cuba is concerned, I really like Compay Segundo.

I have so little pep right now otherwise i'd prob list more.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Re: Re: south of the border music

Originally posted by seeking

i thought this was gonna be a thread about queefs.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Word on the suggestions Ube, I've already got my Limewire on the prowl...

Lately I've been getting into OLD caribbean (jíbaro) music, mainly bomba, plena, salsa gorda and salsa vieja, stuff that features "soneros", which are basically salsa singers who freestyle their shit. Took a roadtrip last week around Puerto Rico and all we had to listen to was this stuff, which was perfect to connect us with the environment. So with that said, if you like classic latin sounds with very direct and definite african influences,

-Ray Barreto

-Ismael Rivera

-Cortijo y su Conjunto (Cortijo and I. Rivera often played together)

-Papo Lucca (deadly piano master) y la Sonora Ponceña

-Andy Montañez

-Paquito Guzmán

-Raphy Leavitt

-Andrés Jiménez (the last two are slower paced, guitar and cuatro driven musicians; trobadours)

We also listened to a lot of latin jazz, really fucking excellent stuff that I didn't get the names of, but as soon as I get a hold of my friend I will post. Buuuuuuut, I do have to mention one artist and one song, because we must've listened to it no less than 20 times during the trip in sheer amazment at the man's skills:

Endel Dueño, "El Rey del Timbal"

This song by Endel Dueño, a murderous percussionist known as "The Enciclopedia of the Timbal", is a tribute to the late Tito Puente (the real Rey del Timbal) and will make you shit your pants 1200 times in a row because he plays those things like a fucking robot from Jupiter. Listen to it stoned and you will die.

More later.

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

Mexican Corridos...in other words Mexican Gangster Music.

The following selections contain material about drug trafficing...

but in spanish.

http://www.ondanet.com/latinos/Los.Tucanes/lostuc01.jpg'>

Los Tucanes de Tijuana

http://www.spun.com/amgcover/music/large/e9/44/e944262e4m7.jpg'>

Los Originales de San Juan

http://musicgroup.univision.com/media/473.jpg'>

pretty much any of their CDs are good.

Dont know if thats what you want...but thats south of the border.

^Capoeira crushes shit... I've learned a bit here and there and have always wanted to get deeper into it.

Oh by the way, for more salsa info, please referr to this thread:

TEARZ inquiry

And for more reggeaton (DPC) goodness, referr to this one:

Chicken Bone inquiry

Re: Re: Re: south of the border music

Originally posted by El Mamerro

So with that said, if you like classic latin sounds with very direct and definite african influences,

More later.

your posts kill me

checking for that song now. i like the classic stuff more, and a lot of the brazilian music has african influences.

molotov is good sheit.. plastilina mosh was cool..is cool...can be cool..

brujeria if your into that type o chet

anyone ever heard of ancestral? i know the drummer and his bro's my ink artist

tigres del norte(also if your into thet)

i forget this other dude's name, he was good

im sure theres more, my processor's down for the moment, im afraid

checked it and you're right those drums are insane... i especially like the tin whistle ahah. no really this is nice.

exactly the hot flavor i wa looking for. when its 0 degrees outside i need some spice to warm it up. thank the lord i'm going to miami this weekend.

checked out Juanes - very good, that song a dios le pido kicks ass

mala rodriguez - i liked this too, but could only find like 2 songs but i'm looking for more. nice a mellow it will sound nice on my new whopper car stereo...

still looking for the others and more samba music

working my way down the llist of recommendations

TITTIES!!!

Carnaval must be such an ill experience... I have vowed to go there at least once before I turn 30. Got 7 more years to go now...

Question ube: When you say Samba schools, do you mean a certain style of samba, or actual bands/ensembles? Cause when I run a search on "mangueira" I get a billion different things and can't tell what is what... seems like the word "mangueira" is usually part of song titles and stuff. Help?

Oh, and for the hell of it, I've decided to host the following song:

Ismael Rivera y Cortijo, "Perfume de Rosas"

This is Bomba, an older afrocaribbean rhythm that along with Plena led to modern salsa. It's a lot simpler and a LOT catchier, I fucking love this song to death for some reason, listened to it quite a lot during the aforementioned roadtrip. Hope you enjoy!

Archived