I need a good book pt.2

DETO

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm re-reading the expanded version of the first book in Stephen king's Dark Tower series. he added over 9000 new words and it really fleshes the first bookm out which i thought was good if not spartan on my first time leafing through it.

I want to read Tolkiens Simillarion because I'm a masochist.

DUDE WHERES MY COUNTRY by michael moore......if anybody is seriously entertaining the idea of voting for george w's monkey ass in 2004 you should read this book first.....fuck everybody should read this book....i havent been able to put it down since i got it about a week ago.

Originally posted by gfreshsushi

i just finished 'the unbearable lightness of being.' goddamn, is that book overrated. my girl handed it to me and just said "this is one of those books everybody has to read, but no one really likes it." word.

HAHAHAHAH, I read that shit and I totally agree.

Originally posted by Weapon X

This may seem a bit low brow, but does anyone have any input regarding Tom Clancy’s Rainbow 6 novels? I used to read him a lot in my early teenage years, and really liked his stuff. I hear that the Rainbow 6 books have good action, and I wanna get away from all this Russian stuff I’ve been reading lately.

one of the best books i EVER read was Venus on the Half Shell by Kilgore Trout (aka kurt vonnegut)

it is fucking crazy, its a deap and trippy as vonnegut gets.

just find the book and read it, it suck you in and you dont stop till your done.

makes you think too!

I'm already on the fourth book of christmas break from school.

Hells Angels and Screwjack from H.S. Thompson were well written and entertaining.

Choke by chuck palahniuk wasn't captivating but thats the first word that comes to mind. I couldn't put it down and finished it in a day and a half.

Right now I'm onto The electric kool-aid acid test by tom wolfe .which i'm about a quarter finished with. Pretty decent but tends to ramble in spots and can get quite incoherent if you're not careful.

I still have naked lunch from burroughs and on the road from kerouac to go until i purchase a fresh batch of literature. I realize the books are trendy/pop and quite talked about but i figure I'd bite the bullet and get them over with. When i went on Barnes and Noble to order Choke, I used the suggestions they offered and came across the others i mentioned. (i.e. People who buy this book also are interested in: yadayadayada). Pretty cool feature and I'm pleased I used it.

Originally posted by horse cock

DUDE WHERES MY COUNTRY by michael moore......if anybody is seriously entertaining the idea of voting for george w's monkey ass in 2004 you should read this book first.....fuck everybody should read this book....i havent been able to put it down since i got it about a week ago.

I enjoyed his other two books but I just haven't gotten into this one yet. It seems like he points out the most obvious things and writes for idiots to read and rambles on just to be radical. I don't know, not very smart I guess. I enjoyed Al Franken's book MUCH more. It's very intelligent and funny. You should like this one Horse Cock. But I agree about George Bush. For the love of god, get him out of the whitehouse and watch out for his little brother Jeb. Fucking Dynasty.

Also, my favorite thing about George Bush came from Michael Moore's Stupid White Men. Someone asked him what his favorite childhood book was. W answered "The Hungrly Little Caterpillar." The book, it turns out wasn't even published until 1968 or around there, the same year W graduated from Yale. What an idiot huh?

Originally posted by Weapon X

I gotta get on that sometime, too. I hear it’s really hard to understand, though. Lots of symbolism, to say the least. My well read buddy said that he needed an accompanying book to go with it must to understand things.

It's not too difficult, but he does make some political statements in referencing people of his time. Those can be confusing if you don't know what was going on outside of his writing.

Another book entirely might be too much, it'd probably be fine if you got something with a good introduction and some decent footnotes...

and hopefully I will be reading The Wasp Factory, by Iain Banks before the end of the week... (damned postal system *shakes fist)

i just read a handful of books, some easy, some not as easy, all good: Requiem for a Dream, Catcher in the Rye, Invisible Man(not the invisible man about an invisible man, but the one about a black kid in NY), some short book that i'm blanking on right now by a local MN author. I'm currently deciding what books i want to start now.

I'm currently reading:

"A Brief History of Time : The Updated and Expanded Tenth Anniversary Edition" - Stephen Hawking

Books I've recently read:

"The Autobiography of Malcolm X" - Malcolm X, Alex Haley

"Civilization and Its Discontents" - Sigmund Freud

"The Question of God: C.S. Lewis and Sigmund Freud Debate God, Love, Sex, and the Meaning of Life" - Armand M. Nicoli Jr.

"Roots" - Alex Haley

"Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl - The Definitive Edition" - Anne Frank, Otto M. Frank

"Origin of Species" - Charles Darwin

"Night Shift" - Stephen King

"The Stand" - Stephen King

"The Shining" - Stephen King

"The Art of War" - Sun Tzu

"The Prince" - Nicollo Machiavelli

"The Last Days of Socrates" - Plato

"Show Me God: What the Message from Space Is Telling Us About God" - Fred Heeren, George Smoot

Guest BROWNer

lots of peripheral shit as usual, but as far as officialness:

the best democracy money can buy(revised)-by greg palast..started

this the other day..shit starts off fucking great..

peep the first sentence of the book:

"You read the papers and you watch television, so you know the

the kind of spider-brained, commercially poisoned piece-of-crap

reporting you get in America." < hot shit :cool:

Guest imported_Tesseract

hahaha, sounds like a keeper brown...i swear to god we must have a thread with great opening sentences in books of any kind...i doubt i ever got to read a book that didnt hook me from line one nomatter how dope the critics were...

Archived