so they say i need counselling.

wiseguy

well my parents sat me down for a "we are concerned about you because your ultimately aimless life revolves around writing your name on things and you rarely go out with friends and you have never had a long term girlfriend and you are generally a bitter individual" talk... well damn, that was an uncomfortable situation. i just laughed nervously and said "yeah" at the appropriate intervals, but i guess if they want me to see a counsellor im going to go, whatever, it doesnt bother me, as long as they pay for it. it really is an odd situation when you realise that your parents think that you are strange... i really havent got a clue how to seriously approach the issue, i mean, i will go in order to placate them. but obviously they have some serious concern about my wellbeing.. how would you approach this whole issue if you were in my shoes?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I dunno, my parents used to want me to go to

counseling.. even though I did have long-term

girlfiends, I was never at home, my social life

took over all other aspects of my life... and I

was a very very positive person. *shrugs*...

maybe we were switched at birth or something.

Anyway... I'd say go... it blows having the mom

and pops looking at you like you're off center...

and if they think you're nuts batty odds are your

credibility with them isn't doing too well... I think

if I would have jumped through a few hoops I'd

still be the exact same person except my

relationship with the fam might different.

Just go, you might like it. I did, it was just a place for me to escape what was going on, chill out and talk to someone about anything i wanted too. Instead of me just thinkin it over in my head, i'd talk about it and see what the counselor thought. Youll develop a frienship in a way with them, and will find its easy to tell them things. It is odd though, how easy it is to tell a complete stranger things that are going on in your life. I recomend just going.

you could go to counseling and get whatever you get out of it, or take another route:

try to placate your parents..

they want you to find a direction.

are you in school?

do you do well?

do you have an idea of where you are heading?

i'm sure they would be relieved if you had answers to questions like that..or were doing well in school..

my parents weren't happy with where i was heading... for a while, i fought them on it, eventually i returned to school and got a degree..it was tough, but i managed to continue with the full time graffiti and drugs the entire time, then i made it out of school, my parents are proud and pretty much off my back..

plus i have an excellent job, and i never really had to sacrifice, just a little compromise.

Originally posted by Weapon X

My high school actually sent me to a psychiatrist, almost free of charge, back in the day. Shit was ridiculous. The dude kept asking me if I had gay dreams, so I said “yeah” just to get him off my back.

Wouldn't that be more likely to get him "on your back"? I mean.....WOW........gaydreams? That'd creep me the fuck out!

Go to counseling......it's good for you! Really....you can have someone intervene and actually get your parents to open up too! That way they have to tell you why they feel this way and you can have someone else validate your point and he can also help you see theirs! When my father and I had this convo he gave a little and that meant a lot because he was a stubborn motherfucker! Weird thing was he wasn't cool with it until he saw a set of married wholecar cabooses that a friend and I did roll right past him at a red light! He called me on the phone laughing asking how we did them so big. Then we had a BBQ for a surprise Bday party I had with some of my friends that wrote there. We were all talking about painting and whatnot and he listened intently about how we know the freightlines and what cars go where and how we have friends in different states and things. He was surprised how vast it was. Open up and share they just might be amazed. They might just think it's not too bad afterall. Let em know some of your goals outside of graffiti having to do with real life. That'll get you some leeway..........Good luck!

p.s. Pay attention to some of the things I said......my dad was as stubborn as a mule. He came around. Parents do that eventually. You'll all become friends!

I told him no quite a few times, but he insisted on asking me again. So I said yes, figuring “who gives a fuck”, it’s all confidential anyway. Plus he was gay, too, so I didn’t have to worry about getting judged. Except for all that stuff, dude was alright. Real smart, too. Maybe he knew something I didn’t? JAWKS! Kidding. Hehe.

<span style='color:black'>I wen't to a counsellor one time. I was thinkin "Yeah. He can give me a new perspective on things. I'll tell him about my problems and then he'll help me work through them." Well when i told him what my problems were his solution was 'I need you to give me names so that i can call the police on people.' I dont think so boss. I told him from the begining he wasnt equiped to deal with my problems. At the end I told him i wouldnt be back.

Thats pretty much it. The best thing that he helped me with was some time management skills. That was pretty cool of him.</span>

Originally posted by mr.yuck

<span style='color:black'>I wen't to a counsellor one time. I was thinkin "Yeah. He can give me a new perspective on things. I'll tell him about my problems and then he'll help me work through them." Well when i told him what my problems were his solution was 'I need you to give me names so that i can call the police on people.' I dont think so boss. I told him from the begining he wasnt equiped to deal with my problems. At the end I told him i wouldnt be back.

Thats pretty much it. The best thing that he helped me with was some time management skills. That was pretty cool of him.</span>

Haha... the fuck... wait... without going into

detail... what kind of things did he want to call

the cops for?

mm..It was like when i was 16 or around there. I think there was some people looking for me. Drugs. Assault. Maybe even some burglary was going on. That sounds about right.

This was when shit was crackin on my old block, mid to late 90's, so not directly related to me there was lots of dope, fights, kidnappings, drive-bys, murders and other shit.

To this day i dont even know what any ones real name is.

hey wow, thanks for all the intelligent responses, i have been thinking about it a bunch today. and i think that i will go, evidently i do have a lot of issues to sort out and it could be the right place to get shit off my chest. i am about to resume study this year, i took last year off because i didnt want to go straight into university after high school. so i worked, travelled and ended up losing contact with most of my friends. i think that my parents would like to see me being more social, and taking a more proactive approach in achieving my goals, and developing some small amount of self esteem. i have to admit, i am fairly sceptical about the whole counsellor thing though. like he will just write down some comments like "low self esteem", "antisocial", "vandal", and then just make some bullshit recommendation that i need medication or something.

Hey, man, sounds good to me. You traveled last year, you’re going to school this year. So you mope around the house and play video games too much? Maybe your dad expects you to wake up at 5 every morning and milk the cows and work the land? You don’t need counseling. Who cares if you’re a little more socially isolated than before your travels? Really, who cares?

You could do it the normal way, or you could do it the GnomeToys Way�.

1) Go to psychologist.

2) Scam counselor out of Xanax or Klonopin for social anxiety disorder or generalized anxiety disorder (symptoms to display can be found in any psychology textbook).

3) Avoid SSRIs (Zoloft, Paxil, etc) by saying that you have heard too many horror stories about them. You may end up with neurontin or some other non-benzo, but oh well.

4) If necessary, make return visits to increase the dosage, saying panic attacks continue but are a "little better". Never ask for more medication specifically.

5) If your family has lots of money, skip to step 8

6) Sell 2mg Klonopin on the street for 4$ apiece to make some money until you get caught.

7) Skip to step 9

8) Become horribly addicted to benzos and enter into rehab clinic.

9) Tell your parents its their own fucking fault for sending you to a shrink in the first place and trying to fix what ain't broken.

Originally posted by wiseguy

well my parents sat me down for a "we are concerned about you because your ultimately aimless life revolves around writing your name on things and you rarely go out with friends and you have never had a long term girlfriend and you are generally a bitter individual" talk...

oh, so you don't want to grow up to have a house in the suburbs with a picket fence, 2.5 children and a volvo in the driveway? congratulations mom & dad, you raised an individual. be proud, not concerned

Originally posted by E MARTYR

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I DONT SEE WHY YOU ARE LAUGHING, YOU HONESTLY HAVE THE MOST PROBLEMS OUT OF ANY ONE ON THIS BOARD. YOU PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE STAYED OUT OF THIS THREAD... YOU HAVE NOW OPENED UP FREE GAME ON YOUR ISSUES. MR. 22 LIVES WITH PARENTS NO SOLID JOB AND GETS BEATEN WITH A SHOVEL.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE JUMP INTO A RIVER HOLDING A CANNON BALL.

S DOT HAWKING HAS SPOKEN.

http://www.thegiftedchildlearning.com/Images/hawking.jpg'>