Anybody ever save a persons life...

geezpot

Guest imported_Tesseract

I havent, but a friend of mine saved another friend from third rail death. Dude was wearing shorts, he stumbled on the tracks he's leg touched the third rail while his hand touched the ground...my friend kicked him off with the rubber sole, i just one second his chest was pumped out, nails and hair almost burnt.

I still cant believe how fast and properly dude operated.

Eversince whenever someones shakes the victims hand he acts like he's electrocutes...a not so funny yet hilarious joke...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Re: Re: Re: Anybody ever save a persons life...

Originally posted by geezpot

You should seriously read my post again, I may not have been clear but the kid had a full 4 point seizure and had bit his tongue and was out. No movement, no breathing. I have level 2 first aid and level 1 firefighters training and turning the kid on his side would have done nothing. The kid was out cold and after the wack to the head from falling from a bar stool the last thing you want to do is move his neck and roll the fucker over, especially after the major siezure he just had. It would be obvious that you are one of those retards that likes to slow down to stare at car accidents and never is willing to help anyone and after that advice I wouldn't want your help. You'd probably put more people in wheelchairs and the only credit you get is the satisfaction of telling your friends that you're responsible for JoeBlow being able to park extra close to the supermarket. How fitting that your name is lost_case.:lol:

GEEZ

Airway ALWAYS takes priority over a possible spinal injury dude... There's no use having in intact spine if you have to suffocate for it. Rolling the person on thier side drains the blood and allows thier tongue to fall forward without you risking your fingers. This is one of the first steps taken after you've assessed the conscious status of a person and found them to be out to it. You should have been more specific in your post... giving someone CPR when they dont't actually need it which is what you made it sound like will land you on the wrong side of a huge legal problem. Anyway that's all i've got to say for now.

;)

back when i used to live in boston, a little kid with a huge school group was at park st on the red line. he was just peering over the edge of the platform and just fell in about 20 seconds before the train came. i jumped down, threw the little shit up to my man james, and scooted right up on the platform two seconds before that alewife-bound train came in.

One of my patients committed suicide last year

It was the saddest, worst day of my life. He was real young, too--only 13. He was housed in a "safety room," with no light switches or anything he could use to hurt himself. The beds are heavy, and made out of solid hardwood, and weigh about two hundred and fifty pounds. They have three drawers in the front for clothes, etc., and a vinyl-covered foam mattress. The sides of the bed come right down and touch the floor.

The psych techs were doing rounds, right at shift change. They did a round at 11:00 p.m. I came around right behind them with the on-coming RN at 11:04.

He was laying on his back, with his head underneath the edge of that heavy-ass bed. Somehow he had lifted the bed and then allowed it to come down on his neck, or perhaps it fell. There was no sound.

He had FOUR MINUTES to himself, and managed to take his own life.

I sounded "Code Blue" (medical emergency) and heaved the bed up off of him onto it's edge (by myself--it must have been an adrenaline rush, I guess) and began CPR breathing and chest compressions, then a few minutes later the other nurse and I "double-teamed" him. The techs ran for the Crash Cart. Within a few minutes we had a bunch of RN's and a doctor there, responding to my Code Blue, but it was too late. The EMT's got there and took over CPR. They did very vigorous chest compressions (like his sternum must have been hitting his backbone, they had nothing to lose at that point) but he never responded. When the doctor called it (the time of death) almost all the nurses were crying.

Death is a very bad thing. Suicide is even worse. But as time passes, the pain and horror of his death diminishes for those of us who knew him and cared for him. Life goes on for us. But not for him.

The first thing his family wanted to know was whether it was a murder or an accident. He was a suicidal patient in a psych hospital, and they never came to visit him once, but they had a $10,000 life insurance policy on his life and they wanted their money. If he suicided, they got nothing, so they were all intent on trying to make it out as some sort of crime or an accident.

Fucking people. I think I'll go get drunk.

Originally posted by Tesseract

I havent, but a friend of mine saved another friend from third rail death. Dude was wearing shorts, he stumbled on the tracks he's leg touched the third rail while his hand touched the ground...my friend kicked him off with the rubber sole, i just one second his chest was pumped out, nails and hair almost burnt.

I still cant believe how fast and properly dude operated.

Eversince whenever someones shakes the victims hand he acts like he's electrocutes...a not so funny yet hilarious joke...

Entering crew center-tagged props !

Some friend hit third rail once, he was wearing a t shirt and fell on his forearms. Something lucky must've happened, cause he passed out for several seconds in the middle of the tracks, woke up, saw his arms had a strange color and jumped off the tracks in panic. I'd say hitting third rail is one of the worst deaths one could have, along with getting hit by a train, of course.

Bute--Up in the northern cities of the U.S. (New York, Boston, Chicago, etc.) where there are subway systems, there are three rails under the car. Of course, two of the rails are for the steel wheels that carry the car and propell it, but the third rail carries a high voltage AC electric current. There is a spring-loaded device called a "shoe" that touches the third rail, making contact to get power to operate the subway car's traction motors. The shoe wears out periodically and has to be replaced.

Since the subways run underground 90% of the time, and the Elevated Train in Chicago runs up on a trestle above traffic grade, the presence of this electrically-charged rail isn't really as dangerous as it would seem at first glance. You have to climb down off the platform and walk where the trains run to come into contact with a third rail.

This is a favorite way to kill off bad guys in movies about New York City. There's always some shitheel that just shot the Good Guy and is about to escape down the subway tunnel when "oops," even though he's lived in New York City all his life and learned about "Never touch a third rail" before he was old enough to go to school, he winds up stumbling over the bag of loot and falling on the third rail, and getting his ass cooked like a Christmas turkey.

Do they have turkeys in Australia? This is getting complicated.

Re: One of my patients committed suicide last year

Originally posted by KaBar2

It was the saddest, worst day of my life. He was real young, too--only 13. He was housed in a "safety room," with no light switches or anything he could use to hurt himself. The beds are heavy, and made out of solid hardwood, and weigh about two hundred and fifty pounds. They have three drawers in the front for clothes, etc., and a vinyl-covered foam mattress. The sides of the bed come right down and touch the floor.

The psych techs were doing rounds, right at shift change. They did a round at 11:00 p.m. I came around right behind them with the on-coming RN at 11:04.

He was laying on his back, with his head underneath the edge of that heavy-ass bed. Somehow he had lifted the bed and then allowed it to come down on his neck, or perhaps it fell. There was no sound.

He had FOUR MINUTES to himself, and managed to take his own life.

I sounded "Code Blue" (medical emergency) and heaved the bed up off of him onto it's edge (by myself--it must have been an adrenaline rush, I guess) and began CPR breathing and chest compressions, then a few minutes later the other nurse and I "double-teamed" him. The techs ran for the Crash Cart. Within a few minutes we had a bunch of RN's and a doctor there, responding to my Code Blue, but it was too late. The EMT's got there and took over CPR. They did very vigorous chest compressions (like his sternum must have been hitting his backbone, they had nothing to lose at that point) but he never responded. When the doctor called it (the time of death) almost all the nurses were crying.

Death is a very bad thing. Suicide is even worse. But as time passes, the pain and horror of his death diminishes for those of us who knew him and cared for him. Life goes on for us. But not for him.

The first thing his family wanted to know was whether it was a murder or an accident. He was a suicidal patient in a psych hospital, and they never came to visit him once, but they had a $10,000 life insurance policy on his life and they wanted their money. If he suicided, they got nothing, so they were all intent on trying to make it out as some sort of crime or an accident.

Fucking people. I think I'll go get drunk.

One of the most liked and most respected Doctors of Psychology at my school killed himself last summer. I'll never understand it... he taught me so much about the human brain and why we do things, and would talk about how bad suicide is.... and then this...

yeah, i actually saved her twice....in the same night, same guy. i went home from the party after i kicked his ass once, walked home drunk, and as soon as i layed down to sleep, my phone rang, guees the guy came back, so i ran two miles back to the fuckin place and i had a couple of my crew cats meet me there and we proceded to beat him within an inch of his life. the only motivation i needed was seein my friend with a black eye from him tryin to knock her out. we almost killed him, so i saved someone, and nearly killed someone. heh heh

Archived