New and Improved Cooking with 12oz Thread!

misteraven

Guest WebsterUno

*believe*

yeah, see, I like cooking too.

But I dont think I could hack it as

a chef, but then again...I wouldnt

know unless I tried. If your parents

do open up a restaurant, you should

try your hand there. At least this way

you can say yo gave it a shot.

My mom is killer in the kitchen

Ive always wished I could get stupid

rich, so I could set my mom up with

a restaurant of her own. She has been

a waitress for most of her life and

she knows her way around a restaurant.

Plus, she cooks damn good food.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dazzle-

I don't know what exactly you have to do to go

about getting into becomming a professional chef...

but this older guy I know who's really into cooking

went to some Sau (?) cooking classes in Albany

earlier this year... the science of cooking, soup

bases, PH levels of foods, all that... he said he

learned more in 2 weeks there than he had just

working as a cook at nice restaurants over the past

15 years... if that's what you're interested in I'd

look into this. I don't even wanna be chef and

and I was considering it just for the info.

school is not necessary though..

cooking is one of those trades that you can learn on-the-job

and one of the few occupations where work experience is more valuable than schooling (in my experience)

i became a chef, and eventually a pastry chef, working in restaurants..never went to school for it.

i was very good at it, and the last job i landed before i got science jobs was gonna pay me 30K..not much, i know, but i would've been the head chef at a zagat rated spot

Potato soup that brings the funk...

2-3 potatoes medium size brown

Water

Stick of Butter

Salt

Pepper

Flour if necessary

1 cube chicken bullion (optional)

1 clove garlic

green onions

cheddar cheese (lots)

bacon bits

sour cream

This is a fairly simple recipe but its great when its done right...

Step 1:prepare the ingredients, peel and cut potatoes into small cubes. Remove 1/4 clove of the garlic, or more to taste. Chop the onions and grate a large amount of the cheese.

Step 2: Put a small pat of butter and the garlic in the bottom of a pan and heat on medium-medium high until the butter is melted and the garlic is slightly browned.

Step 3: Toss in the potatoes and brown very slightly.

Step 4: Add water and if you like chicken bullion.

Step 5: Increase heat until you bring the water to a rolling boil and then decrease to medium and let it cook until the potatoes are nice and tender almost as tender as in mashed potatoes.

Step 6: If the soup is too watery add a touch of flour, if it is too thick add water. Also now is a good time to add another pat or two of butter and stir. Chop the potatoes in the pot to desired consistency and turn the heat up a little bit.

Step 7: Once your soup is the correct consistency throw it in bowls, this recipe makes anywhere from 2-5 servings. Once in bowls add (in this order) cheese, onions, sour cream, bacon bits (which are pork free by the way, but you could use real bacon if you wanted)

Thats it, thank me later

Milton

HOT SAUCE:

2 onions, chopped

1 fresh hot pepper, sliced

2 tbsp. butter

Paprika

2 1lb. cans stewed tomatoes

1/2 cup uncooked, long grain rice

Salt, Pepper

Brown onions and pepper slices in butter. Add paprika to taste. Process tomatoes briefly in blender. Add tomatoes, rice, salt, and pepper to onion mixture. Cover and cook until rice is tender, about 45 minutes, adding additional water if necessary. Remove pepper slices before serving.

i strongly recommend eating this with fried chicken, but it's still good by itself.

Guest WebsterUno
Originally posted by !@#$%

school is not necessary though..

yeah, that guy Jamie Oliver didnt finish school.

If you check that link I posted, he gives his explanation

as to why he did that. Same as what youre saying.

Its about a passion for food, not just a means to make ends.

pasta (prefferably tortellini or ravioli)

cook that shit up, rinse it and all that...

add butter/margerine to taste

add the amount of tuna you want (prefferably ablacore)

add paremisian (sp?) to taste

now...

add marinated artichoke hearts cut to desired size (1 jar of the progresso was enough for me)

add italian dressing to taste

add bread crumbs to desired texture.

serve right away

BEST MEAT LOAF AND LASAGNA...

Meat Loaf

Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :30:00

Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef

1 1/2 cups oatmeal -- uncooked

1 onion -- chopped

2 mushrooms -- sliced

1 dash pepper -- ground

1 dash garlic powder

1 tablespoon parsley

2 eggs

1/4 teaspoon basil

1 dash dill weed

1/4 cup catsup

Bake mixture at 375 F for about 1 1/2 hours.

Serving Ideas: Good with instant Mashed potatoes and corn

Lasagna

Serving Size : 10

Preparation Time :0:30

Ingredients:

1 box lasagna noodles

1 ½ lbs of hamburger

16 oz ricotta cheese

8 oz Mozzarella cheese - grated

1/4 cup parmesan cheese

1 can or jar marinara sauce

1 onion - diced

4 cloves garlic - chopped up very small

4 sliced fresh mushrooms

2 eggs

1 tablespoon parsley

dash pepper

dash basil

In a large pot, set water to boil.

Meanwhile, brown burger, onion, mushrooms and garlic. Add marinara and set aside.

Mix cheeses and eggs in a separate bowl with parsley and spices. Save back about ¼ of the Mozzarella for the top.

When water in pot is boiling add the lasagna noodles. You typically do not need to wait until the noodles are edible because they will be cooked in the oven as well. When noodles are ready (8 minutes or so) begin layering the various mixtures in a 9X13 pan. Start with the burger mixture; then add the cheese, then the noodles. Keep layering until you run out of ingredients. Add the reserved Mozzarella last.

Cover dish with foil and pop into oven at 375 degrees for an hour or so. If you want to harden off the top, pull off the foil for the last 15 minutes.

Sausage a la' Arcel (kind of boiled, and kind of fried)

1-9-03_1_005.jpg'>

i'm going to put the fire on high at first, because i made more sauce than i would have liked

http://img7.photobucket.com/albums/v18/writer/1-9-03_1_006.jpg'>

reducing the sauce...

http://img7.photobucket.com/albums/v18/writer/1-9-03_1_007.jpg'> looks like i'd better turn it down. note my makeshift lid

http://img7.photobucket.com/albums/v18/writer/1-9-03_1_008.jpg'> looks done

http://img7.photobucket.com/albums/v18/writer/1-9-03_1_009.jpg'> yumz !

LENS Bomb Ass Spaghetti Sauce

To turn your avergae shitty jar of Safeway Select spaghetti sauce into something fucking stellar, you will need....

Turkey Burger Meat

Mushrooms

White onion

Fresh Garlic (about three cloves. Not 3 whole bulbs jackass)

2 Bay Leaves

Fresh Thyme

Salt and Pepper

Jar of your basic Spaghetti Sauce

1 bottle fresh water.

1. Start by cooking your turkey meat. When it starts to get cooked, break it up into small crumbly pieces with a FORK OR SPATULA

2.Chop up your mushrooms, onions and garlic. Toss in with meat and cook until you can start to really smell the onions and garlic cooking.

3.Season with salt, pepper and thyme to taste. Add bay leaves.

4.Add your spaghetti sauce and stir in until combined with meat and veggies. It should look like a PRETTY THICK MIXTURE.

5. Here's the tricky part....don't fuck up at this point. SLOWLY add the water until the sauce has a nice liquid conisistency. It shouldn't be too thick or too watery. If you do screw up and add too much water, set your stove top to MED or MED high heat and let some water boil off. You might wanna add a little more sauce once the excess water boils off but not too much genius!

6.Now, if you didn't totally jack up at the part where you add the water, you're looking good. Set your stove-top to LOW HEAT and let that shit simmer for about half an hour. The flavors will combine to make an awesome authetic Italian taste that will make any girl want to fuck you.

7.Remove Bay Leaves and serve over pasta to your date. A nice Merlot compliments this dish nicely

Okay....so it's not as quick and easy as i made it out to be. You do need some sort of cooking skill to put this together but the end results are well worth it.

Re: BEST MEAT LOAF AND LASAGNA...

Originally posted by king kong

Meat Loaf

Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :30:00

Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef

1 1/2 cups oatmeal -- uncooked

1 onion -- chopped

2 mushrooms -- sliced

1 dash pepper -- ground

1 dash garlic powder

1 tablespoon parsley

2 eggs

1/4 teaspoon basil

1 dash dill weed

1/4 cup catsup

I like the concept of adding dill weed and mushrooms but if it were me, I'd chop the shrooims up rather than slicing them. However, i find that bread crumbs make for a far superior meatloaf as opposed to oatmeal which i feel makes for a meatloaf that is way too thick for it's own good.

By the way, it';s spelled KETCHUP damnit!

• 3 weeks later...

Re: LENS Bomb Ass Spaghetti Sauce

Originally posted by LENS

To turn your avergae shitty jar of Safeway Select spaghetti sauce into something fucking stellar, you will need....

Turkey Burger Meat

Mushrooms

White onion

Fresh Garlic (about three cloves. Not 3 whole bulbs jackass)

2 Bay Leaves

Fresh Thyme

Salt and Pepper

Jar of your basic Spaghetti Sauce

1 bottle fresh water.

1. Start by cooking your turkey meat. When it starts to get cooked, break it up into small crumbly pieces with a FORK OR SPATULA

2.Chop up your mushrooms, onions and garlic. Toss in with meat and cook until you can start to really smell the onions and garlic cooking.

3.Season with salt, pepper and thyme to taste. Add bay leaves.

4.Add your spaghetti sauce and stir in until combined with meat and veggies. It should look like a PRETTY THICK MIXTURE.

5. Here's the tricky part....don't fuck up at this point. SLOWLY add the water until the sauce has a nice liquid conisistency. It shouldn't be too thick or too watery. If you do screw up and add too much water, set your stove top to MED or MED high heat and let some water boil off. You might wanna add a little more sauce once the excess water boils off but not too much genius!

6.Now, if you didn't totally jack up at the part where you add the water, you're looking good. Set your stove-top to LOW HEAT and let that shit simmer for about half an hour. The flavors will combine to make an awesome authetic Italian taste that will make any girl want to fuck you.

7.Remove Bay Leaves and serve over pasta to your date. A nice Merlot compliments this dish nicely

Okay....so it's not as quick and easy as i made it out to be. You do need some sort of cooking skill to put this together but the end results are well worth it.

Good look LENS

I held back on the turkey burger meat doh

• 4 weeks later...

Just got done making this mess.

1 yellow fin tuna steak

1 orange pepper

1 temple orange

1 lime

1 chalet

Orange peel spice

Parsley

Black pepper

Sunflower oil

Start by using half the orange pepper cut it up into small chunks.

Then cut like 2 or 3 lime slices and peel the orange and chop up the chalet

get a blender, put the orange pepper in and squeeze the juices of the limes into the blender with the pepper then add most of the orange and the chalet. Now blend it up into a sauce, set that aside

Now take you fish and rub what’s left of the orange over it on both sides and do the same with the lime

Then on one side of the fish take you spices. The orange peel spice parsley and black pepper and coat the top of one side of the fish.

Then proceed to cook your fish to you liking. toss that jam onto a plate then take your neon orange sauce and poor it over it , and you have one pimp, TV cook show looking meal.

Its actually taste half decent too.

Okay, if youre a broke-ass like me, heres a meal you can have for less than $2.00 each if you buy enough to make for 4 or 5.

Lemon Pepper Tuna Noodles.

1 pack of Ramen Noodles (any flavor, the flavor pack is going in the trash....or used as extra flavoring in your next pack of noodles). Angel Hair pasta actually tastes better, but takes longer to boil when youre stoned at 3AM and wanna eat RIGHT NOW. So if your girl is eating with you, spring for the Angel Hair.

1 can of chunk tuna in Water

1 lemon

black pepper

Boil your ramen noodles via. instructions on pack....take the seasoning pack, and throw it away, or do like me and save it for later for an overpowering overseasoned ramen noodles some other time.

Drain all water off the noodles and set aside in the microwave so they'll stay warm.(or do all steps simultaneously so noodles and tuna get done at the same time)

Heat up a skillet over low flame.

Drain water off tuna and throw it in the skillet.

Cut your lemon in half and squeeze both halves into the skillet with the tuna.

Add plenty of blackpepper (to taste). You could even add some diced garlic or some fresh herbs, but this is the broke-ass version.

Turn the heat down so the tuna will simmer slowly in the lemon juice. You dont want the flame so high that the juice evaporates instentaneously and leaves a burnt sticky coating all over everything....duh.

When about 9/10th of the lemon juice is evaporated throw the lemoned-tuna into the noodles and toss them together well.

If it's too lemony for you, add water to the lemon juice while simmering to dilute it. If it's not lemony enough simmer down the juice once, add more lemon juice and simmer it down again (it will be REAL lemony). Anything about this recipe can be adjusted to your liking.

bon apetit

• 2 years later...

bump the fuck up.

So, in the last year I have embraced something I was always kind of unsure about. I still only do a couple things but what used to seem like kind of a lazy way of cooking beans turned out to make some great roasts... I'm talking about the Crock Pot! So, here's a recipie...

1st, get crocked off pot and get out the crock pot and get your ingredients, it's simple:

a 4-5lb. Ham

1/4cup Brown sugar

1tsp Brown mustard

1tsp Horseradish

1can Rootbeer

mix the stuff w/ only enough rootbeer to make a paste. Rub the paste on the ham and toss the ham in the pot and then in the crock pot. Pour in about 1/2 the can of rootbeer and cook on High for an hour and then switch to Low for about 6-7 hours. Spend that time making kick ass side dishes and napping.

Really simple REALLY good.

Gnocchi:

1/2 Pound Ricotta

1-1 1/2 Cups of Flour

1 Extra Large Egg

1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese

1 Teaspoon Salt

Sauce:

2 Cups Chopped Canned Tomatoes

6 Fresh Basil Leaves, Shredded

2 Cloves of Garlic, Minced

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil

Salt & Pepper

Dash of Red Pepper Flakes

3-4 Small Fresh Mozzarella Balls, Cut Into 1 small Pieces

First:

To prepare the sauce, heat the oil and add the garlic cooking only until fragrant. Do not brown. Add the tomatoes, basil, and seasonings and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and cook until th gnocchi is ready.

Second:

In a bowl, place the ricotta, grated cheese, egg, and salt. Add 1 cup of the flour and mix. Add only as much more flour as you need to create a workable dough. Divide the dough into fist size pieces, and roll into long logs as thick as your thumb. Cut into 1 inch slices and gently place on a lightly floured baking sheet. Continue with the rest of the dough in this manner. If not using immediately, place in the refrigerator.

To cook the gnocchi, drop into lightly salted water and remove as soon as they float to the top, after 1 or 2 minutes. Place in a warmed bowl, top with some of the tomato sauce and the mozzarella cubes and gently mix. Serve with additional sauce if desired.

I usually make a modified version of this, especially when it comes to the sauce, but thats a family secret.(My grandfather says its how he got women back in the day.)

Note: This is an simple type of arrabiata sauce. Put a *little* red wine in there and just a little more red pepper flakes to make this sauce really cook.

Here are two really easy side dishes/ cold salads that basicly go with anything.:

I don’t have exact measurements because I make this by instinct, but they are pretty hard to screw up.

Cauliflower salad:

Chop and boil a head of cauliflower.

Drain the cauliflower and run under cold water to stop the cooking.

Put into large bowl.

Pour (extra virgin) olive oil over the cauliflower until it shines (not too much oil).

Open and drain a can of sliced or chopped black olives and add it to the mix.

Add a fair amount of capers.

Squeeze one lemon and add the juice.

Add half a handful of rosemary (crush it in your hand as you sprinkle it into your salad).

Eat.

Serves 5-6.

Tomato Salad:

Thinly slice two tomatoes.

Thinly slice one purple onion, white would be ok too.

Combine in bowl.

Sprinkle feta cheese on top, the more the better.

Add some olive oil.

(**Optional*Add red wine vinegar to taste, go easy on the vinegar. (I make it with and without the vinegar. If you make it with the vinegar replace the basil with oregano.)**)

Add a couple of healthy pinches of Basil, fresh preferably.

Squeeze one half a lemon on top of the salad.

Toss and serve.

Serves 5-6.

I hope you enjoy these. Feel free to tweak the recipes as you see fit.

This would be a good thread as a sticky I think.

Basic but good...

Get a bunch of plum tomatoes

Garlic

Olive oil

Fresh basil

Some pasta (I prefer raviolli)

Ricotta cheese

Green peppers

Pepper flakes

...and anything you think sounds good

Cook the raviolli while you do the following...

1) In a good dose of olive oil sautee the coarsely chopped garlic and hot pepper flakes - I use a lot

2) Throw in about half the tomatoes cut in chunks and peeled as you can. Mash them up in the olive oil

3) add the green peppers and some of your basil, maybe some parsley, and a bit of sugar if you prefer that sort of taste. Cover.

4) When it looks like a sauce, thrown in a few very heavy scoops of ricotta and melt it down

5) Once it looks about ready throw in the rest of the tomatoes in chunks to your liking.

6) give those tomatoes a second to cook than add some more fresh basil

7) Throw the scolding hot sauce on a nearby homeless person or animal and eat the ravioli plain...or eat them together

Irish spagetti:

whole wheat angel hair or thin sgaetti

96% lean hamburger

chopped garlic

1 can heinze tomato sauce, add 1 can water

basically cook hamburger with garlic, boil the spagetti and then heat the sauce...

put the sauce in a big bowl, add spagetti and hamburger, garnish with extra sharp cheddar cheese and black pepper and salt...

word...

Archived