graffiti archaeology

casekonly

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

when I was in LA, I was staying on Venice beach and checked the walls every morning after i got my orange juice. There was 2 or 3 new pieces every day.

One morning I come out and it looked like someone smashed one of the walls with a sledge hammer or something.

there was a crater 6 inches deep that was blasted away and you could see all the layers of paint that had been placed there over the years.

It made me wonder just how everything had changed to create a layer of paint at least 6 inches deep. thats alot of fucking paint.

and alot of pieces that people put heart into.

Originally posted by effyoo

when I was in LA, I was staying on Venice beach and checked the walls every morning after i got my orange juice. There was 2 or 3 new pieces every day.

One morning I come out and it looked like someone smashed one of the walls with a sledge hammer or something.

there was a crater 6 inches deep that was blasted away and you could see all the layers of paint that had been placed there over the years.

It made me wonder just how everything had changed to create a layer of paint at least 6 inches deep. thats alot of fucking paint.

damn, i thought the civic yard here in atl had a lot of paint on it, you can pull huge fuckin chunks off of it

thanks, and an invite

Originally posted by effyoo

Amazing. Wish I had a picture of that.

Hey, glad you guys like my site. (and sorry ARCEL if it didn't work for you-- there are still some bugs in the Flash, we're working on it)

I would like to keep going with this, expand it to other walls, go back further into history, even take it to other cities besides SF. But it's gotta start with someone who has the flix and knows the spots. If any of you have photos you'd like to contribute, send me an email. Want to start a local chapter? GRAFARC/LA? If you've got the flix, I will take care of the technical stuff and get you on our site.

Peace,

The Graffiti Archaeologist

Re: thanks, and an invite

Originally posted by grafarc

Hey, glad you guys like my site. (and sorry ARCEL if it didn't work for you-- there are still some bugs in the Flash, we're working on it)

I would like to keep going with this, expand it to other walls, go back further into history, even take it to other cities besides SF. But it's gotta start with someone who has the flix and knows the spots. If any of you have photos you'd like to contribute, send me an email. Want to start a local chapter? GRAFARC/LA? If you've got the flix, I will take care of the technical stuff and get you on our site.

Peace,

wats your email addy? cuz i got super mad flicks of atlanta, at the civic and a couple other spots but i dont know your email addy

Re: Re: thanks, and an invite

Originally posted by onesecondple

wats your email addy? cuz i got super mad flicks of atlanta, at the civic and a couple other spots but i dont know your email addy

whoops, sorry, i must have flipped the wrong switch on my profile. you should be able to email me now.

grafarc

Re: thanks, and an invite

Originally posted by grafarc

Peace,

that's really cool of you. i dig your site alot, found it on memepool.com

and decided to share it here. i'd love to see you site expand, btw, how'd you find out that we were peeping from here?

Re: Re: thanks, and an invite

Originally posted by casekonly

that's really cool of you. i dig your site alot, found it on memepool.com

and decided to share it here. i'd love to see you site expand, btw, how'd you find out that we were peeping from here?

thanks for the support! my web host sends me weekly stats of which pages have linked to my site; i scan through the stats once in a while, just out of curiosity. i saw a link from "12ozprophet.com", and i recognized the name (i have an issue of the magazine, the one about OS GEMEOS from brazil) so i followed the link back. Some sites will do that automatically, it's called a "trackback".

--grafarc

Originally posted by suburbian bum

That site is awsome. Nice job. What you should do is get a couple of dedicated spots and try to devise some kind of permanent ground marker where to stand so you get the same pic every day.

Thanks a lot for making that.

thats a good idea

Originally posted by Brandon

the only thing I'm wondering about is why every spot you find has less and less graff on it by the time your at the most current level.

that has to do with the sad state of things in San Francisco these days, as much as anything. the city has cracked down on graff in a big, ugly way. for most of last year, they came in with paint rollers on what looked like a weekly basis. it wasn't always that way. maybe someday they'll get tired of covering art with gray paint, and we'll look back at 2003 as we now look at the dark ages.

if and when that happens, i hope to be there with my camera.

-grafarc

Archived