the NEW sketch thread

Overtime

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Do you cats ever go through stages where in your mind you see a whole bunch of great ideas but what comes out on paper feels like fucking tripe?

I put out the 49 below that felt really crappy, so I thought I'd do a pretty basic Fashn to make myself feel better. That ended up sucking too (look at that fucking F and N....). So I figured I needed to work on my more simple designs to find that groove again. I did the M.49 that probably would have come out ok if I had have just remained on target and left out the shattered slices. So I did the frog style Mao49, in which the O and force field make me want to punch things. From there on I just did some simple concepts to try and get some kind of flow back, which I don't feel I did. Pissing me off.

You folks ever go through stages where you can't do anything that satisfies you?

8860458743_3f2d07c445_b.jpg

Fashn49 Cloudy by Walid Jumblat's conviction, on Flickr

8861079684_a5d525007b_b.jpg

MAo49 Unstable by Walid Jumblat's conviction, on Flickr

8861081184_65460a9b30_b.jpg

Mao49 Frog by Walid Jumblat's conviction, on Flickr

8860473255_c0502ce2f5_b.jpg

Mao49 Fairy Floss by Walid Jumblat's conviction, on Flickr

8860475013_de24359459_b.jpg

Mao49 Death Star by Walid Jumblat's conviction, on Flickr

8860480507_681d17819f_b.jpg

Mao49 4 page by Walid Jumblat's conviction, on Flickr

Yep I get that allot as well,I find if u get a separate page and a ball point pen then do loads of tiny quick 1 min sketches keep doing it over and over again trying different flows styles and then when u see a flow u like transfer it to you blackbook or a wall or whatever.Could also just be having a bad day it happens.

Walid you're simples are solid. Your straight letters are something I could never quite pull off. Every time I draw something I think it's terrible after a while but that motivates me to get better. It seems you're goin through the same situation.

I suck at throwies and straight letters but I'm ok at peices and coloring.

Well I think just reading this thread should be useful to you. I'm really appreciative of the advice I got on how to pull myself our of a slump, the biro freestyle suggestion. I'm def giving that a shot.

And if it's any use to you I can see some fundamental mistakes in some of my stuff that I can spell out:

Take that Fashn for example, the right hand bar of the N is too thick and outbalances the bars in the rest of the letters and the F is too fat at the bottom and should have more of a sweep to it -

it's a matter of flow. The colour choice is pretty questionable as well. The green should have been a few shades lighter and the bubbles in the background should have been a colour that contrasted

with the purple more, like orange, tan or yellow.

The 4 in the M.49 doesn't fit with the rest of the letters. It has a big black strike through it's center that doesn't match the rest of the piece fucking with the flow and the 9 sits lower than the other letters.

The spacing of the A and the O in the Mao49 Green Frog joint doesn't match up, the A sits further behind the M than the O sits behind the A. The right hand bar of the A doesn't have a consistent

curve/taper either and looks awkward.

Finally, in the Mao49 Death Star simple the hole in the 9 is huge compared to the hole in the 4, there is less neg space/white in the 49 than the MA and the 49 sits off the bottom of the page higher

than the previous letters. I also forgot to put shadows on the letters where they overlap each other to give the piece depth.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the props I've been given, I understand that we are our own worst critics and I don't feel I need to be relegated to the toy thread...., just yet.

But I'm not satisfied with what I see and hopefully my self-crits will help you self-crit your own work.

Mone, I understand it's your art and you should do it just like you want, but you were doing much much better and cleaner pieces (just in my opinion ;)), for example that great one with 'renaissance ship' - and i'm not talking about only that ship. Or, if i remember well, you were the guy who had battle with Pest (Pesk?), right? Anyway in that times your pieces was like magic - flow, composition, letters, theese clean lines - I can't remember how was the lettering, but i guess now is not much better. ;)

But it's just my opinion. No offence, I just don't like your current works.

• Like 1

criticism like that is fucken wack. let the piece be. i mean everyone likes a little bit ( thicken up the outline, needs more arrows ) but fuck, so much criticism in this thread and self doubt. sounding like a bunch of chicks complaining about how fat and ugly they are. haha im trying to say this nicely

some of my exchanges and ish for talking

147d98ba771011e29b7122000a1f9a64_7.jpg

98f52800bc3611e180d51231380fcd7e_7.jpg

f21a079073e611e1b9f1123138140926_7.jpg[/img]

9756e918b78311e2bf9022000a1fb723_7.jpg

86951e0aa14f11e2a2ce22000a1fa411_7.jpg