the NEW sketch thread

Overtime

I have patience bud, no worries there, i am still looking for a style i can get comfortable with. I still do simples but every so often i have to try new things to see if anything takes hold for me to ezpand on later. Think of it as me using it to guage my own progression, as little as three months ago i would not have been able to do this one, now i have so i know i am progressing albeit slow and steady. As i said i have tons more simps to do and still have to settle into a style i can evolve from. Since decy is one of my main sources of inspiration on here along with mek,tesk note and a few others , i think its a good starting point later in life and i hope he doesnt mind the poor attempt i have just laid out. Things will get better with time

Here's where I think you have a problem,

You can't look at graffiti and be like "I am practicing THIS style now", or "I haven't found a style that I'm comfortable with"....

style is not something you can learn from other people. The most you can do is look at other people's work and be like "Well shit, why does it look dope when HE does it, but shitty when I try to do it?" If you can ask yourself that question, and actually come up with the reason why, you are well on your way to becoming a great artist.

Style is an extension of your human being, its something that is rooted deeply into your brain, how you think, what you do, where you've been etc, all play MAJOR roles in defining a certain style specific to a certain someone.

For the same reasons why its recommended to stick to simples, you can't jump the gun and apply someone else's style to your own stuff, it just doesn't work that way, it will never look "complete" and never look "polished".

The most important thing to getting your work to a level that you are happy with, is doing the gawt'damn grunt work!! Putting in the man hours in your letter structure opens the doors in your brain and gets your gears working, because after a while you'll be like "Sweet, i just drew this fucking crisp simple A, now how do I funk it out???"

THATS when you start getting into "wild style" type shit, not because you think what someone else has done is dope and you want to try it out, but because by that point, you'll be like "It makes SENSE to put this extension here, it makes SENSE to put this arrow here", because being good at wild style graffiti means you need to have an amazing sense of composition, and you also have to train your brain to think in a non-linear fashion. (ie: completely backwards)

There is NO way you can bypass all the leg work required to become a great artist. All the big writer's out there devote their entire lives to graffiti and developing their styyyyyyyyyle.

Anyways thats just my 2 pennies, maybe i'm alone on this... and from what you've said I gather you're not afraid of doing the work, I just want you to develop YOUR style, not someone elses

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Here's where I think you have a problem,

Style is an extension of your human being, its something that is rooted deeply into your brain, how you think, what you do, where you've been etc, all play MAJOR roles in defining a certain style specific to a certain someone.

For the same reasons why its recommended to stick to simples, you can't jump the gun and apply someone else's style to your own stuff, it just doesn't work that way, it will never look "complete" and never look "polished".

I dont know what your trying to say here.. but the stuff around someone influences their style.. same thing with graffiti. The people who he paints with/looks up too will also influence the way his style progresses.

In my opinion, simples dont have anything to do with ones style. They just teach generic letter structure. You cant get style by just drawing 'keyboard' letters all the time. Either you try more wild shit and learn from errors, or in the case with Boom1969... your 'influenced' by other writers..

And just so im not all talk. Heres some of my work.

SSPX7745.jpg

Enoesbook-2.jpg

SSPX0123-1.jpg

those are pretty tight bud.

i know the road i am on has people on each side of the line, some agree with me stretching my boundaries a bit in an attempt to get comfortable with new things, while others consistently rip on the do simples do simples do simples mind set.

i am old enough to know simples do help me learn proportions , structure and to a point flow , but at the same time i am also old enough to understand if i dont try to break out of the box occasionally i am limiting originality , creativeness and also run the risk of getting stale.

i learn by mistakes as i go along and i know at the end of the day its down to me to improve and settle into my own groove. by no means am i saying i dont believe simples help because they do and you can see from my posts 95% of what i post are simples but the other 5% i am taking liberties to push myself out of my box to break monotony.

i do appreciate the crits so far but i still dont have any constructive ones to give me ideas on whats not quite right in the piece and ideas to try for its next incarnation.

a bit of constructive crits would be appreciated.

thanks guys

i never had people showing me how to do things i learnt from all the shit i saw in videos on the train etc i think like most people we all go through huge changes in letter forms every now and then when your high youll be thinking shit this would look amazing like this with that and that ..shit just happens man give it time think about exactly how you want to end up style wise and just do it.

what do u mean never like that style??? i got many...many... styles ..as far as fills no one rocks my styleeee...there are dudes that are hot themselves....but no one rocks my ish homie.....werd...u want it in a book one on one let me know cuzin!!! i dont except a complimnent when on some slick shit u trynna play me....cusin....props to ats and freak always keeping it busy and gettn better by the burner i seee..... also duke and tesk neat fresh to death stufffff werd real reconize real always

what do u mean never like that style??? i got many...many... styles ..as far as fills no one rocks my styleeee...there are dudes that are hot themselves....but no one rocks my ish homie.....werd...u want it in a book one on one let me know cuzin!!! i dont except a complimnent when on some slick shit u trynna play me....cusin....props to ats and freak always keeping it busy and gettn better by the burner i seee..... also duke and tesk neat fresh to death stufffff werd real reconize real always

ah man dont get it wrong i like your work its clean its colourfull its done with a lot of skills props to you as i have in the past i respect it i acknowledge it ,its just not my cup of tea which doesnt mean im talking shit or downing your style as ive said itssolid nice and no doubt looks sick painted regardless of whats said keep it going man . im down for some sort of battle if thats what your after but not one that stems from a simple miss-communication just a friendly thing becuase truth be told i never take the time with my sketches its always rough and ugly where as yours are presise and clean,peace.

haha goddamn relaxxx foos lol.

dont have to be so hostile towards each other.

no matter what you do, theres gonna be people who love your shit think its dope, then theres gonna be people that absolutely hate your shit, "your shits wack".

its all a matter of tastes.

i say big ups to everybody. support each other instead of putting peoples shit down all the time. its okay to criticize but you have to give some positives instead of just negatives.

EX. nice lines but you gotta work on that shading, or great color combo just keep working on your can control.

big ups to all the real graffers

• Like 1