ADD

Milton

My computer freaked out yesterday and I ended up connected from aim to some ADD support chatroom and heard this conversation:

SomeonewithADD: I'm having a hard time with my husband, I am ADD and I take meds, my son is ADD and he takes meds but my husband will not admit that he has it, and so no meds.

Someoneelse: I hate that, people should just admit they have it and get over it.

SomeonewithADD: I know, but he doesn't even believe in it, thats the problem he wants to take our kid of meds too.

Someoneelse: Well, ADD is a real disease, if someone got shot would you tell them they didn't have a "real problem"

Me: (Cause I love being an asshole) How do you know your husband has add, are you a doctor.

SomeonewithADD: No, but I can tell, he walks away mid conversation with me, and won't do what I tell him for more than 5 minutes before he quits.

Me: I'm sorry maam but you just described every married man I know. Maybe you should see a doctor before you give anyone in your family a do it yourself labodomy... hey look pretty birds...

What are your thoughts on the subject? Do you believe in it, do you have it, do you take ridalin for kicks?

Me personally, I do not believe in it as a legitimate medical problem. When I was in second grade my TEACHER, not doctor, TEACHER tried to tell my mother that I had ADD and should get on ridalin. I never took ridalin and I turned out alright. Also I work with autistic kids and kids with behaviour problems a lot, and I used to take care of this kid with "ADD" all the time. He was like overly active, but no worse than I was when I was little, he was smart and damn funny too. So I take care of him for like 2 years and then one day I come to the house and he's sitting in the corner like just sitting there. So I talk to him and his sense of humor is gone, he doesn't want to play, he seems depressed. So I talk to his parents and find out that the teacher told them he was ADD so they got him on ridalin. I SAY FUCK THE BULLSHIT MAN, IF A KID ACTS OUT YOU TELL THE KID, QUIT ACTING OUT. But fuck it maybe we should just give out morphine with school lunches, that would keep the little shits quiet while they're being "taught"

Milton (Hey look, that cloud looks like Martha Stewart)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Yeah i have pretty much the same story. When I was in 2nd grade my teacher diagnosed me with ADD. They put me on ritalin and it made me a fuckin zombie. So I stopped takin it and while it did help me to focus on things infront of me, I'd just much rather be absent minded than walk around in a drug induced trance for the rest of my life. Not the good kind of drug induced trance either. I have pretty much worked my way through it. I really think that it is mind over matter. If you know you have ADD then you can take measures to circumvent it on your own with out medication.

Now for those hyper active bastards...drug em the fuck up.

1. Teachers are not doctors therefor can not

diagnose anyone, and can not conclusively say the student "has" ADD. Thye can simply look out

for the tell tale signs and then recommend a

Doctor do tests, parents willing of course.

2. ADD is very real and is a medical condition, that

many people suffer from to various degrees. Some

people require some meds to help them slow there

brain down to be able to maintain a useful level of

focus on day to day tasks.

3. for several years i taught many students, who

among other things had ADD, there is a noticeable

difference between an ADD student on perscribed

MEDS and the same student NOT on their meds.

4. not all people are equiped with the personal '

awareness, and or the support structure to help

them get over it with out drugs.The drugs are

also always needing to be monitered and checked

a growing young persons body is a work in flux

and thus what worked for 6 months here mey not

be effective after that. Over medicating as with

all meds will work against you, as will under

medicating. IT is very hard to get the perfect

combination.

people just use add as an excuse to be assholes and shit. fuck that, i wish someone would walk away in mid convorsation with me. il fucking drop kick their smart ass right in the head. lets see who's walking away now asshole.

I can see what all of you are saying. I definitely agree with RIP that a lot of people use ADD as an excuse to get away with whatever they want. I know teachers cannot diagnose ADD and/or perscribe drugs, however my 2nd grade teacher actually, without my parents', consent had the school psychologist diagnose me without any actual testing mind you, and fill out a form so that a parents signature would get me all the ritalin I "needed." Needless to say my family wasn't very happy with that one. Anyway, it seems to me that ADD is another excuse for an overmedicated society to further push off its problems on the next wonder drug that comes out. Perhaps, as heavyLOX pointed out, there is an actual need for certain individuals to have medicine in order to function in life, however the extent to which our society blames every bad behavoir on a medical condition is disgusting to me. I'm actually reading a book now called "The Medicine of Deviance: From Badness to Ilness" Which basically talks about how all behavior problems are now "medical." I call bullshit though, some people are just bad, some people are overly active, some people think faster and more than other people. They used to call people that thought faster than everyone else geniuses, now they have a problem? Einstein could barely tie his shoes and failed elementary math several times.

Fuck It, Give em drugs...

I have/had ADD as well. I took Mr. R. pill for awhile and then I realized I was getting addicted, so I stopped taking them. I did better in school but only in my 1st period.. and I never really wanted my first period to end. The only way that pill would have worked for me would have been if I took it several times over the course of each day, and there is no way I would zombify myself like that. I worked my way through the ADD.. I still have random "outbursts" (it's the only word I could think of) where I will be listening to someone and then I will think of something else and just turn around and do the other thing, but it doesn't happen often.

Originally posted by iloveboxcars

I was going to make a thread about adhd called subtract, but then I noticed my feet were cold and started thinking about cameras.

yeah that book was good, but when was the last time you washed the front of your television. i need to buy lined paper.

Originally posted by Ethreadzny2

god knows I have a terrible form of add, I dont even know how to button my shirt correctly. I have also been known to stop at stop signs waiting for them to turn green.

this is exactly why people think ADD is a cop out, cause your avarage person wants some how to excuse there idiotic tendancies ( no offense E I'm Dumb too).

Ritalin in the right does should not make you sluggish, ever. Lithium, now that brings you down.

As i said popper dosages are not that easy to determine and generally take a lot of close observation by parents, teachers and doctors.

Just like meds to control Epilepsy, and heart problems, Diabetes, etc. all of these methods of "maintenance" are works in progress and generally have to be adjusted over time.

"Me: I'm sorry maam but you just described every married man I know. Maybe you should see a doctor before you give anyone in your family a do it yourself labodomy... hey look pretty birds... "

you rule. people take way too much fucking medication these days. the whole world is turning into pill popping zombies. "hey lady, your kid doesn't have ADD, the little fucker just needs less video games and more fucking exercise"- the only reason this prescription isn't handed out to parents is because it doesn't make money

there is a huge difference between Kids taking ritalin and housewives asking their doctors to give them perc, valumes and the like. And its the drug companies that are fucking us.

Youve seen the commercials. And at the end of them they say ask your doctor. Doctors should tell you what you need. NEVER should you be able to ask a doctor for a certain thing, at that point the doctors are just legal PUSHERS.

So if that the way it is i feel some glaucoma coming on, Doc help me out please

i had a teacher last semester bring in a tv show segment she taped about this new problem in children: "parental defiance disorder." they are prescribing these kids who have a history of mouthing off, being disrespectful, etc. with pills like ritalin to make them more 'controllable.' is anyone else aware of this and as outraged as i am?

to me, this brainchild of the pharmaceutical industry is just a half-step past the prescription-happy doling out of ADD medicines. i realize certain people have chemical imbalances compared to the rest of the human population. but that is an infinitely smaller number than those who are taking it regularly. guess what happens if you don't actually have ADD and you take ritalin? addiction to uppers, oh yeah. long-term use of prescription medications such as ritalin and welbutrin by those without ADD can lead to ADD-like symptoms, except the pills they were given can't fix them so they're fucked. i know plenty of folks who ended up spacy and spastic like this from limited recreational amphetamine use. hooray for zombie children!

fucking americans. "that kid on the daytime talk show is sick and he has blonde hair like my son, my kid must be sick too!" doctors are handing this shit out like it's fucking candy corn, but it rots your basic ability to think linearly rather than just your teeth.

Archived