Is there a 'B-Side"

fr8otech

After a recent discussion, I'm prompted to see what some of you on this board have to say on the subject.

What are your thoughts on doing both sides of dope car. I'm not talking about standard stock, but specail cars ie. New Reefers, Tbox, fresh paints.

The responces last night were along the lines of:

- You're asking to get painted over.

- Fuck it, it might get gone over anyway, so with both sides done, my odds are better.

- I'd go over someone if they did both sides.

What do you think?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Vanity

seems like a waste of paint.. i'd rather have another car out there working for me.. a hollow on the otherside makes sense though.

yeah i agree. painting both sides of the same car is kind of wasteful.

a hollow and "other side" usually does it for me.

...i've done it before...i'll do it again...

...but only under certain circumstances...everythings relative right?...if i go out and there a bunch of the same 'ol cars and one really good one and both sides are clean, then yeah i'll think about doing both sides...but definately burners on both sides...i don't think it's a waste of paint cause it makes it twice as likely that that car will be seen...

...but if it's a REALLY good car i probably wouldn't do it cause that's just selfish and will make it more likely that someone will go over one if not both sides...

...i'm not a big fan of the 'other side' shout...mostly becasue when i'm benchin it just makes me think i might have missed something really good...

...again i'm not recomending this on a regular basis...just under certain conditions...i can only think of one or two times that i'm sure i've knowingly done it...

Guest rob deer

I never have the attention span to stay close to 1 car for 2 burners.

most of the best pics taken are when the car's parked at a yard or layup, so if you're in it for flicks and history, one side and an "other side" shout will do.

if you're in it to make kids in the midwest see you while the train flys by at 45-60... you better do both sides...with simple letters.

^^^...i'm not a big fan of the 'other side' shout...mostly becasue when i'm benchin it just makes me think i might have missed something really good... ^^^

:sick: don't ya just hate that. my favorite is when you see "other side" and you pull some crazy shit to try catch it and it sucks.

...lots of bench spots are different...and i've taken some great flicks of trains rolling into the yard at 10-15mph...but there's hardly a layup that i can go to in the day time to take flicks without riskin blowing it up...

...yeah that really does suck to run around and try to see the other side and it's no good...so let me ask real quick...what is your rational for putting up 'otherside'...so that someone that sees it rolling knows they just missed one of your pieces...or so someone in the layup knows to cross over and look at the other side...or...so that YOU know which car it is...

I don't see why not do both sides. The "hogging space" complaint is absolute garbage, getting up is the name of the game so go as hard as you want.

I don't think I've ever done both sides, just because I would only do that out of a desperate lack of cars. I'm big on targeting a car, hitting it, and then releasing it into the system, see what happens, see if anybody spots it down the road. That car will have a distinct fate from all the other cars I've done. If I do both sides, they will travel the same places and have the same fate, so it's a bit redundant.

I don't bother saying "other side", I think I gave that up in '99. A hollow or streak is adequate for me.

Originally posted by Vanity

seems like a waste of paint.. i'd rather have another car out there working for me.. a hollow on the otherside makes sense though.

ive done it once, only when cars were lacking and it was a very nice car.

i would definantly rather have two burners on separate trains out there though. all depends on the situation and how nice this car is.

on the rare occasion that i have gone out and found the yard nearly empty, or when everything is laid up in an unsafe position, (and i've been confined to a small area), i've done this..

if there's plenty of cars though, there isn't a very good reason other than 'hogging' your favorite car..

fuggit.

it's graffiti.

paint where you want.

Guest BIGMETALCIRCUS
Originally posted by Cracked Ass

I don't see why not do both sides. The "hogging space" complaint is absolute garbage, getting up is the name of the game so go as hard as you want.

I don't think I've ever done both sides, just because I would only do that out of a desperate lack of cars. I'm big on targeting a car, hitting it, and then releasing it into the system, see what happens, see if anybody spots it down the road. That car will have a distinct fate from all the other cars I've done. If I do both sides, they will travel the same places and have the same fate, so it's a bit redundant.

I don't bother saying "other side", I think I gave that up in '99. A hollow or streak is adequate for me.

what is odd is i have seen your cars come back to the spot(s) they were done at, but facing the opposite way. i'm surprised you didn't manage to accidentally do the same train, since it had happened on more than one occasion. it's even more funny since you've explained to me how difficult it is to turn a train around too.

Originally posted by BIGMETALCIRCUS

what is odd is i have seen your cars come back to the spot(s) they were done at, but facing the opposite way. i'm surprised you didn't manage to accidentally do the same train, since it had happened on more than one occasion. it's even more funny since you've explained to me how difficult it is to turn a train around too.

Yeah but but you know how I operate, memorizing numbers and shit...I'll see the car number and say "Cool, I'm on the other side of this one, from '01, at spot X, green and autumn gold color scheme" etc. :beat::king::beat:

from a benchers perspective it's all objective...if both sides are burned with a writer i think is dope..then of course im going to be stoked..but if it's someone im not..then naturally im going to be like..blah...im sure the same goes for others...from a writers perspective i'd rather have more stuff running on multiple cars than have half the cars running but pieces on both sides.

You kids are nuts! You're gonna go over a writer because he beat you to the panel? That is some lame ass, hellified toy shit right there.

Doing a hollow on a free panel of a sick car is pure bullshit. I hate people who do that and I grin madly as I’m painting over you, if the car is laid up in a paintable spot. It makes me sad...have some respect for other writers and don't touch that panel with your scrap white rusto can and a fat. That's lame, you're lame. Cock blocking panels is for dildos.

Painting both sides of a car ups your chances of being seen, in a certain respect. Ever wonder how many times someone saw your freight but missed your piece because they were standing on the wrong side of the line? I remember when benching involved watching trains drive by all day, not just going to the yard and walking the lines. I used to think about that a lot, how I might be missing something extra sexy on the other side, but not so much anymore. So anyway, paint both sides, that’s fine, more power to ya if you crushed, killed and destroyed the sickest boxcar in the city for that year. Good for you!

Ironhead: I go over someone over half the time. I have to. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t ever get to paint. So I hope not everyone thinks like you, cause if so, I’m gonna have a lot of beef going around. *** Let me point out that I don't go over pieces. or anything of respectable size. Go big or go home. 2 color throws/bombs/b.s. get gone over first. Just want to clarify so you 12oz haters don't look up my badge number and report me to the graffifi scene police.

Some of you drops good knowledge...my respects toward you.

God I am such a dick.

Originally posted by Southern kid

Doing a hollow on a free panel of a sick car is pure bullshit. I hate people who do that and I grin madly as I’m painting over you, if the car is laid up in a paintable spot. It makes me sad...have some respect for other writers and don't touch that panel with your scrap white rusto can and a fat. That's lame, you're lame. Cock blocking panels is for dildos.

Your panties are this bunched over people doing hollows? So Jase is lame then?

I do scrap can hollows all the time. It's my name on a train. If somebody pieces over it, I don't give a rat's ass.

You have some odd fetishes.

Rocking both sides is straight in my opinion, especially in dried up spots w/ one car or so. You may have less cars under your belt when doing both sides but you'll be covered when the cars are rolling, being seen on both sides and all. But benchers are only limited to one side unless your walking lines. But your talking about "special cars", I don't see why someone should go over someone for the mere fact that they painted both sides...Either way painting both sides or painting only one side you'll get your play...

hey southern clown.....ill be sendin plenty o hollows your way as i always have and always will continue to do,so keep on keepin on piecin over us that do cause i can sure as shit tell you for every 1 that someone paints over me i got 50 more runnin free. just be smart and make sure theres no visible sign that i was their before you or youll have problems bra.

Jase isn't lame, he's a cool guy and pretty nice at that, and that's fine with him hitting all the cars he wants with hollows. The only time I would mind would be one something like a SOO box, clean except for a hollow on it. That is what we were talking about in this thread, right?I think everyone needs to keep my opinions in this thread in the right playing field: we're talking about special cars, not typical ones. I would be upset with anyone who made a nice car unpaintable with a bullshit hollow. That's just not right.....

Cracked: You know me well enough to know my panties are wadded tigher than a size 20 wearing a size 2 undie. Odd fetishes.....from an odd guy, I guess. I'm bitter...

the kill: Wouldn't have it any other way. I think the whole "cover it all or don't cover it at all" principle went out the window four years ago...glad to see someone still agrees with it.

cascade: Yeap, I do, if it's a nice car. Piece it or don't touch it for the next guy.

My silence is golden. p.

glad to here that southern...however i will add i dont rock hollows on rust,and like you i do respect the right to leave a money train for someone else if i feel i cant make that train look better than it already does--ie....an old rusted out soo--do to whatever reason,dont have right colors or maybe just not flowin as well as usual that day.i feel if you cant make that train look better,dont paint it...my hollows are usually three color peice outlines.outline/3d,inner/3d slashes &outer. you showed respect to my stance, so now i show respect to yours.

the way i see it is... paint whatever. both sides, one side, whatever.

but i dont think you should get mad if someone goes over your hollow on the backside of one of your cars with a piece. thats bullshit. fuck a hollow. even if a toy attempted to go over your hollow and pulled something semi decent, id rather see that than a hollow.

writing "im on the back, -tag" on the backside of your fr8 will do as well...

i also think its stupid blocking the other panel of a car on the same side of a piece... so your shit isnt "sidebusted". i think thats lame.

i dont really paint freights much, but if i did, id like to see a freight i hit have the other panel painted by someone i might never ever get to paint with... and have us rolling side by side... fuck the "for fame" reasons or whoever is up more or more famous, it would just be cool seeing different people that shouldnt be next to one another on the same fr8...

Archived