On the subject of school...

bathoræ

3rd year majoring in the science of politics a.k.a. poli sci a.k.a. political science a.k.a. fuck your beliefs up till you emotionally die a.k.a. the best major under any pre-law program

ask me anything poltical and Ill try to give you a scholarly political scientist answer. Its a tight ass major but if you hold any political beliefs wether national or international, prepare to get fucked over from your own head.

staying up for 2 days is fun now.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest bigdork

close to 30, in my 2nd semester of community college, Liberal Studies plan on teaching high school history hopefully by 35. Dont put off your education, you guys in your early 20's. I wish I would of just got it over with earlier. Painting and traveling all over the country is fun but what the fuck happend...........

Did you know....

a bad sense of smell is a red flag that the person is going to be schizophrenic

nintey percent of schizos smoke cigarettes

I took psych 101, my teacher was bonkers always tellin' us about how crazy she is and it's cool. Tell ya the truth I'm not into all these goofball categories and stats.

Psychology

Originally posted by bathoræ

Yea, there's only a handfull of things you can do with a BS... Most of it is either Counselling or Research... nothing that makes good money, really.

Although, my real dad's girlfriend is working on her dissertation right now in Psych. She's got her counselling certificate and works in the Psych ward at one of the local emergency rooms making mad amounts of money. They pay $200-300 a case and you get on average 3-4 cases per shift. Downside is that the shifts are 12 hours, but still...

I'll be graduating this spring with my BA in Psychology, but I've been taking classes that are required for Master's Students to put me a bit ahead of the game. There's really nothing you can do with a BA or BS in Psychology, you're mainly nothing more than a Highschool Grad that has been dicking around for four years. According to California law you can't be a private clinician or a counselor for any state run school system.

There's several different routes you can go once you have a BA in psychology. If you want to be a Psychologist, you can aim for a PhD or a PsyD. If you want to be a Psychiatrist, most will go for their MD. Without an extremely high GRE score, and GPA (3.6+) you won't be going directly to either.

An MS in psychology is fairly useful. You can get a MFT license and do private practice, or you can get an MA. An MA is slightly less work, and will set you up to get into a PhD or PsyD program, as well as a PPS credential in either School Counseling or School Psychology.

Originally posted by gfreshsushi

i'm in junior college, just working on transferring to a four-year for a b.a. in something. not too picky at this point in my life. this is funny because i had this conversation with someone on friday night: what the fuck do you do with a four-year degree in psychology? all we could come up with is guidance counselor.

If you're really interested in just having a BA in psychology you can look towards Human Resource type jobs, or other aspects of businesses that relate to knowing how to interact well with people.

Re: Re: Re: On the subject of school...

Originally posted by bathoræ

yea... I've got 4 psych classes lined up for next semester: Stat Principles, Learning and Memory, Brain and Behavior, and Cognitive psych...

:o

trying to get into honors for the fall semester...

Cognitive Psychology was my least favorite psych. class ever. What are the requirements for your honors program? We have to have a 3.8 gpa here, and do a big public presentation on some sort of research we created.

Re: Re: Re: Re: On the subject of school...

Originally posted by Fugazi

Cognitive Psychology was my least favorite psych. class ever. What are the requirements for your honors program? We have to have a 3.8 gpa here, and do a big public presentation on some sort of research we created.

Well, the only other 200 level course offered was the Developmental Psych class, which I've heard is extremely boring...

The requirements to get into the honors program here (UNM) are pretty lenient. We've got to have a 3.0 minimum (average is 3.5), be a first semester junior, and have completed 20+ hours of psych classes. If you meet those, you submit an application for faculty review...

The program itself is 2 years, satisfies all of the 300+ course requirements, and consists mostly of designing and carrying out a full-on publishable research experiment with faculty, while gaining a strong background in the history/foundation of psychology...

Seems like a great opportunity, but very strenuous at the same time...

Yeah Tony fucking Blair is raising our uni fees by like 200%, average debt right now when leaving uni is between £5000 and £10, 000, in 2006 the average debt at the end of 3 years uni will be £25, 000, thats

America - $43,572.50

Austarlia - $58,812.67

Assassination is in order.

all you have to do to avoid paying your hecs fee's is to leave the country. thats all. you only pay for it once you actually live and work in that country cause its connected to the tax system.

trust me even if its like $100,00 having mad credentials degrees etc is worth it.

Archived