Neosegregationalism

Milton

I was sitting at school today, in the library, surfing 12 oz between campus, and I decide "hey I'm gonna go get a sandwich. So I leave the library and walk to the cafeteria. I walk out of the library, there were more Asian people out there than there are in asia itself, no white people, Asian only. So I continue my trek towards the cafeteria, I pass the grassy area and a million hippies are out there smoking cigarettes in the rain, so I keep walking, I see a group of nothing but mexicans, as I get to the cafeteria all 57 black students on campus are standing outside. What does this mean you ask? It means that racial and cultural groups are segregating themselves from eachother. Why? I don't know. Maybe the groups are just too different to come together fully, or maybe there was never true cultural integration. Has anybody else noticed this? What's going on?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

not necessarily.. it depends where you're at and what kind of cultural integration is promoted. everything is relative. i do know that many races tend to feel more comfortable with their own race because they "identify" with them. the reason for the segregation at your school could be due to communication problems, none of the groups you mentioned speak the same native language. its hard to find common ground with someone when you can't even talk to each other.

At this university, anyway, the frat boys are the designated policemen that make sure that none of the various ethnic / social groups are ever seen outside of their own kind by yelling lots of insults at any loners they happen to see. Black people are immune to this here, because the only black people Purdue has ever let in to my knowledge are on the basketball & football teams.

yeah that hapens. but what can you do? it also depends how they were raised as well, if theyre new immigrants, they will usually stick to themselves, or someone who can speak their native language. when i was living minority stylesz, everyone i knew spoke english, i could speak bad italian, but it was useless if i wanted to really talk about something important, mind you, if i was living in a country forever, and becoming educated there it would be another story. id definatley learn the language.

Originally posted by Vanity

i know some chick that used to be on the purdue volleyball team.. she's into fisting ;)

hahaha. thats so gross. someones signature on here is "fist yourselves".. shit had me laughing.

anywhoo.. in regards to the segregation, another point to consider is that human beings are animals. animals tend to segregate themselves amongst their own kind. i'm not saying that this is true in all cases, but people are different from one another and they usually stick to other people who are most like them. maybe in this case, nationality had a stronger emphasis than anything else... graffiti writers flock towards other graffiti writers, we're a race. someone whose hobby is horseback riding isn't going to come and post on this board. things have always been this way & they will always be, i don't think its such a big deal.

Archived