credit cards anyone?

Tyler Durden

alright, so, i need to get a credit card because this atm/debit shit isnt hacking it anymore and i really need to start building credit. my moms offered to cosign one with me so im researching some stuff and seeing what looks good.

any reccomendations? what cards are you guys using? any major problems with them?

if i was going to base this purely on looks id go with those ill amex "blue" cards...the clear ones. those are GANGSTAH to the fullest. wordlife. throw the relish in your back pocket. other cards ive been looking into are bankone and discover classic although ive heard discover sucks.... as soon as i get this though im making one purchase, and one purchase only (for awhile...):

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/440/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/beautyshotpowerbook15_0903.jpg'>

(note: "major problems" with your cards DO NOT entail you being stupid and not paying shit off.)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i aint getting a credit card till im in a full time postion job, where i know my job is fairly secure.. but i like the prinicple of "if u dont have the money at the time, you cant have it" gives me a reason to save, so i can get it out right

nobody takes discover. i used to have a visa vard but they just cancelled my account becuase i guess you're supposed to pay them every month or something. haha. my credit is fucked but i figure i can just pay cash for everything and live in apartments for the rest of my life, or find a wifey with good credit.

yeah, as far as debt goes, im well aware of the risks and all that. i really dont plan on purchasing anything other than that lovely 15'' g4 and then paying off at least the minimum for awhile. always on time. i figure after thats paid off ill have a good start of credit history to build on.

im really kind of actually planning on leaving the card at home while im paying off the g4 so im not tempted to buy anything, even though i got cash in my checking (not enough for the g4 though....shucks...) so ill use that for my everyday shit and stick to paying off whatever card i get.

anyone have a bankone? i enjoy the fuchsia color and the rates look ok (?).

http://www.bankone.com/images/05686_PV_rRGB_i44170200356.jpg'>

8.9% apr (variable). with no annual fee. does that sound good?

o yea and read the interest rates really carefully because a lot of these scumbags will offer you a real low one for the first year just to get your business, and then suddenly hike it up to 15% or 20% after the "introductory offer" is over. so make sure that rate isn't some bullshit introductory offer that will leave you fucked in a couple years. that's what happened to me. now i'm like $3000 in the hole on my visa card and basically it's all over like 800$ i spent a long time ago. but the rates went up so high and the interest got out of control and i couldn't keep up the payments. so out of $3000, 800 is money i spent and $2200 is their bullshit interest and fees. so just a warning --- keep an eye on what happens with the card in the long run. also if you want to stay out of debt don't go to college. it's not worth it.

I know American Express gets hated on alot but Ive had three friends recently pick up those cards with fantastic rates and benefits...they bought them purely cause they had a big purcahse and thus far havent had any problems paying anything off or falling in major debt.

but check cards are the bling bling to the fullest, I love it.

also about intrest: keep in mind there are two kinds. if you take any cash advaces, the intrest is higher than retail intrest. and its calculated daily, from the day you take the cash, to the day its payed in full. plus most places charge a fee for each advance. try and avoid it if you can.

Originally posted by Tyler Durden

then paying off at least the minimum for awhile. always on time. i figure after thats paid off ill have a good start of credit history to build on.

I'll bet you will... The minimum payment on credit card debt is calculated as a percentage of your current balance. The minimum payment drops as your balance is paid, but thanks to the magic of compounding, you'll end up paying for a long, long time...

So, $2,000 at 9% (w/ the minimum based on 2.5% of total balance) paid at the minimum monthly payment would take 139 months (11.5 years) and would cost $2,736...

Tyler, the best thing you could do is to get whatever you want, but try

to pay as much as you can every time. You can save yourself a shitload

of money that way. You might go so far as to have a nice hefty down

payment ready to cut that principle down right off the bat, but that's your

call.

Never pay just the minimum if you can help it.

do what i do: t0 get credintials with the bank.

Take out a loan for "school" purposes, now i don't know how old you are but your mom sounds cool, she'll cosign. Get like 5000, and take it out. Here's the hard part, dont spend a dime, and when it comes time to pay the bank back, you can with the same cash.

I did it and you create a trust and credit with your bank, this will come in really handy when you want a loan, or something for a car, or for a payment on a house. yada yada yada.

I still do not own a credit card, and i am overseas too. Many people i have met along the way use credit cards, i choose not too. and my debit/atm deal works just fine.

-your friend,

caught in the fire.

Originally posted by S@T@N

Never pay just the minimum if you can help it.

well yeah. i was just trying to make the point that i can easily pay the minimum. more likely, ill be paying 2 (or perhaps 3) times the minimum whenever the bill rolls in. so i wont be paying it off for the rest of my life.

i really dont spend that much money on anything besides gas so i could pay off 2 grand relatively fast compared to the stuff smart posted. haha.

ive gotten offers for those sheisty cards that try to jack up everything when your not looking. hence why i really dont want to deal with anyone besides either visa or amex. a friend who is using amex to pay off his sony laptop hasnt run into any problems with them. but my mom told me there was some reason i couldnt get it? i dont know. ill have to ask her about it later. but i guess ill probably get something visa related.

ok if your an adult over 21 what seems to be the problem? i mean all you have to do is use common sence "hmmm can i afford to pay this off in 3 months? how much is going into my account? how much of that can go out?

people should be able to make decisions of whether thaey can or cannot afford something at first glance. all this "paying off over a few years" is BS!" if you cant pay it off within a few months you cant afford it.

i have a bank one card i've had since college and they've graciously extended me a $25,000 credit line...... with no interest rate for a year and like 9% after that. they are very nice and helpful with customer service. i have never had an issue with them either.

$18,000 is nothing for debt

try looking at

$221,000 worth of debt..... between the car, house and the credit card

i just think about that when i thing about leaving my job......

I don't know, my girl has a credit card and is in major debt. B/c of her bad credit shes having trouble finding an apt. So unless your going to be verrrrry responsible and keep track of everything you buy, I wouldn't get one. I am horrible at keeping track so I won't get one. Its amazing, another friend of mine, WHENEVER she buys ANYTHING, she'll write it in her lil checkbook. I knoe thats what your supposed to do, but it just astounds me she can keep up with it.

Everyone keeps on telling me I need to build credit for when I get a house, yadda, yadda

but I really don't trust them things. I have my atm card and thats just fine with me.