INK RECIPE SUPERTHREAD

rubbish heap

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

This is kinda a half marker half ink question so im putting it here. I have a half empty mini flowpen, if i add some blue sanford roll on ink to the half flowpen ink will it flow right... i dunno if people understand my question... but yeah... thats the only way i can think of asking it... yeah.. thanks

Originally posted by TeezerPHM@Oct 5 2005, 09:25 AM

i picked up some procolor ink today, and try to find it on the internet but they keepsaying that this company makes ink catridges (spelling) for printers. i did the smell test an its either highly alcoholic or acetone base. its pretty in the middle for consistency, maybe a little thick but just enough.its dries and seeps into surfaces a little slow and i havent tried to buff it off with goof off yet. oh yeah and what made me spend 10 bucks on 4 ounces of ink? i couldnt rack from the spot and the color is "ultraperm opaque black" so i knew it was good. any way to make it dry faster or a way to make inks seep into surfaces more? i <3 deep stains

and shai is a mad chill ass dude. big ups

You're chill too....Procolor is good shit, too. I talked to my ink guy I buy from and he said it's solvent based, so go ahead and put a little Goof-off in it- three drops is enough for a pen. The cool thing (and bad thing) about Goof-off is that it's an easy way to get straight xylene, which is what a lot of perm ink is based on. So, since you have it, use it up...Japan drier is the way to go, though, since it has all the solvent you need and a drying agent as well. All paint stores carry it. All my inks come out fine, too- I used to overdo the xylene and end up with streaky-looking tags, but not anymore.

The pints of Procolor are super cheap, about $18 if you shop around.

Originally posted by MC P.@Oct 5 2005, 05:31 PM

This is kinda a half marker half ink question so im putting it here. I have a half empty mini flowpen, if i add some blue sanford roll on ink to the half flowpen ink will it flow right... i dunno if people understand my question... but yeah... thats the only way i can think of asking it... yeah.. thanks

I get your point. No, that's water based...you'll wreck the tip. Use Pilot or some kind of leather dye, and you'll be all right. Or, look around for solvent-based stamp ink.

Shit, I just remebered something! The Sanford blacktop ink is perm and fadeproof, but it won't mix with a lot of other perm inks since it has a phenolic base. Phenol is kind of outdated, and it isn't compatible with most other solvents. So use it by itself, or if anyone knows something that does work, I'd like to know. I killed a mop the other day not knowing this...yes, I still fuck things up, believe me.

This is funny to say here, but I cook a lot...and, everyone makes mistakes. I made this spanish rice the other night that needed a little more bump, so I added vegetable boullion to it...A LOT, at that. Suddenly, it went from being bland to making every single orifice on my body pucker. I think I may have hurt myself...so, I added more rice and tomatoes, and poured in some wine...I saved it, but MAN...I felt my hair grow an inch in five minutes, no shit.

Ink is the pretty much the same way, except I don't do taste tests with it anymore. :ballcap:

Originally posted by shai hulud+Oct 6 2005, 02:50 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shai hulud - Oct 6 2005, 02:50 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-TeezerPHM@Oct 5 2005, 09:25 AM

i picked up some procolor ink today, and try to find it on the internet but they keepsaying that  this company makes ink catridges (spelling) for printers. i did the smell test an its either highly alcoholic or acetone base. its pretty in the middle for consistency, maybe a little thick but just enough.its dries and seeps into surfaces a little slow and i havent tried to buff it off with goof off yet. oh yeah and what made me spend 10 bucks on 4 ounces of ink? i couldnt rack from the spot and the color is "ultraperm opaque black" so i knew it was good. any way  to make it dry faster or a way to make inks seep into surfaces more? i <3 deep stains

and shai is a mad chill ass dude. big ups

You're chill too....Procolor is good shit, too. I talked to my ink guy I buy from and he said it's solvent based, so go ahead and put a little Goof-off in it- three drops is enough for a pen. The cool thing (and bad thing) about Goof-off is that it's an easy way to get straight xylene, which is what a lot of perm ink is based on. So, since you have it, use it up...Japan drier is the way to go, though, since it has all the solvent you need and a drying agent as well. All paint stores carry it. All my inks come out fine, too- I used to overdo the xylene and end up with streaky-looking tags, but not anymore.

The pints of Procolor are super cheap, about $18 if you shop around.

[/b]

yeah i havent used japan drier for like a year (i think), cuz that stuff is really good for krink. what i was gonna try was throwing this ink into a uni paint (black of course) but i think it will just get too thick. i should really get some japan drier again cuz goof off makes it a little hard for it to dry but it also gives it that long time to seep in. ill make something for the best of both worlds...ill gat back at you guys later....an shai dont blow up my way of makin krink on the board yet.

Originally posted by MC P.@Oct 5 2005, 05:31 PM

Shit, I just remebered something! The Sanford blacktop ink is perm and fadeproof, but it won't mix with a lot of other perm inks since it has a phenolic base. Phenol is kind of outdated, and it isn't compatible with most other solvents. So use it by itself, or if anyone knows something that does work, I'd like to know. I killed a mop the other day not knowing this...yes, I still fuck things up, believe me.

Ive got some sanford blizzacktop, but its fuckin thick as glue.

They say you thin with acetone for more speed?

I chucked it in a liquid chalk marker and i got some crazy streaking and crappy application going on. It looked as if a pilot jumbo was on the verge of packing it in.

This stuff appears black when it goes into the marker, but comes out purple when applied so i just dont get it? Ive gone to racking up other shit and getting some decent scars, only using 3 things.

Any help on the blacktop?

I say keep it simple, the simple shit works best.

Originally posted by shai hulud+Oct 5 2005, 10:13 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shai hulud - Oct 5 2005, 10:13 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-MC P.@Oct 5 2005, 05:31 PM

I get your point. No, that's water based...you'll wreck the tip. Use Pilot or some kind of leather dye, and you'll be all right. Or, look around for solvent-based stamp ink.

This is funny to say here, but I cook a lot...and, everyone makes mistakes. I made this spanish rice the other night that needed a little more bump, so I added vegetable boullion to it...A LOT, at that. Suddenly, it went from being bland to making every single orifice on my body pucker. I think I may have hurt myself...so, I added more rice and tomatoes, and poured in some wine...I saved it, but MAN...I felt my hair grow an inch in five minutes, no shit.

Ink is the pretty much the same way, except I don't do taste tests with it anymore. :ballcap:

[/b]

THANKS Alot shai... im glad i didnt do it before you told me, i assumed it was alchohol based for some reason... so... anything i can add to the sanford ink to make it not... wash away in the rain... cuz i was thinking about making the bottle into a mop... and i dont like dumping out ink... thanks man

Just rack up shitloads of artline 70's and 90's and pilot broad markers, then grip the bottom of the metal barrel, and squeeze it slowly making your way down to the top on the marker.

Make sure you've got a jar or something underneath the marker, otherwise your gonna be spilling a shitload of ink all over the place.

This is what i do, because pilot and artline ink are so rare here. And it pilot ink proves to be fuckin dope ink with some black woodstain and a tea or tablespoon of brake fluid every 400 mls of the mix, making it dry a little slower and making the appearance of the ink glossier.

"shai dont blow up my way of makin krink on the board yet."

Never...that was golden, or should I say silver, advice. I'm only giving away old secrets, no current ones...and that has SO much potential. Thanks again.

I'm doing three things at once right now (A/D transfers, cleaning house, and cooking dinner) in addition to posting, so I'll be a little slow...there's a couple more things I want to cover here...BRB.

"THANKS Alot shai... im glad i didnt do it before you told me, i assumed it was alchohol based for some reason... so... anything i can add to the sanford ink to make it not... wash away in the rain... cuz i was thinking about making the bottle into a mop... and i dont like dumping out ink... thanks man"

Chuck that ink, it's garbage...the ink bottle trick is in the marker section. We must be on the same page, I did that a few days ago. :ballcap:

Ive got some sanford blizzacktop, but its fuckin thick as glue.

They say you thin with acetone for more speed?

I chucked it in a liquid chalk marker and i got some crazy streaking and crappy application going on. It looked as if a pilot jumbo was on the verge of packing it in.

This stuff appears black when it goes into the marker, but comes out purple when applied so i just dont get it? Ive gone to racking up other shit and getting some decent scars, only using 3 things.

Any help on the blacktop?

I say keep it simple, the simple shit works best.

-----------------------------------------

----------------------------------------

There's my two cents. Got me...put it in a mop, I guess. I haven't the slightest idea where to get phenol from. Try acetone, or better yet, mineral spirits. It's more of a all-purpose thinner, and more neutral, I've found. Or japan drier might work, too. This shit has a tendency to turn to jelly if you add the wrong thing to it...I like it, but it's tricky to use.

I used to use this for stamping....wow, its intended purpose! Stamps are a good way to get up...maybe I'll cover this elsewhere sometime.

Im not sure if the stuff i have is what you are talking about... my shits pretty thin i think... and its blue... it doesnt say black top anywhere on the bottle... unless im just an idiot and black top is what stamping ink in general is called? Sorry im stupid when it comes to this stuff... thanks a lot for the help though

Originally posted by MC P.@Oct 6 2005, 10:21 PM

Im not sure if the stuff i have is what you are talking about... my shits pretty thin i think... and its blue... it doesnt say black top anywhere on the bottle... unless im just an idiot and black top is what stamping ink in general is called? Sorry im stupid when it comes to this stuff... thanks a lot for the help though

[attachmentid=22553]

This is blacktop...named for the black cap. I always called it "poison ink", as it says so on the front. Very perm. Hard to make pens with, but it's doable...mops work better with it, it's thick and I can't seem to thin it w/o making it thicker (?). So, now I use it as is. See the above posts as to why.

sp00_107927_oe.jpg

You have the blue one w/the white cap, right? It's not perm. Same bottle, though, so you can do what I did with it. If you saw it over in the marker thread, that's how I do it. It's really easy. If you don't have the right mop tip, you could use eraser felt folded in half...but, it's gonna be messy, just so you know. It will work though, probably better than mine does. Thin the ink down a LOT to make sure it flows well.

Image000__2_.jpg.e11fddff2df0d08ece9b8a9be7b5b192.jpg

Alright im fucking tripping off the fact that noone will answer my question in the paint mod thread. I want to put ink into a spray paint can, more specifically krink. Forget getting it into the can for a second, will the valve be able to handle it? will it spray thin? will it clog up the cap? etc. The idea comes from a dream i had where i took some krink and put it into a can a then hit everywhere with a fat cap, just think it would be like a giant mop. For those of you who will say "silver paint", its not the same. Whatev. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by MAR@Oct 7 2005, 09:55 AM

Alright im fucking tripping off the fact that noone will answer my question in the paint mod thread. I want to put ink into a spray paint can, more specifically krink. Forget getting it into the can for a second, will the valve be able to handle it? will it spray thin? will it clog up the cap? etc. The idea comes from a dream i had where i took some krink and put it into a can a then hit everywhere with a fat cap, just think it would be like a giant mop. For those of you who will say "silver paint", its not the same. Whatev. Thanks in advance.

Get a XXL Montana chrome can and a gold or pink dot. This sounds like too much work. That setup I mentioned is out of control...you can fill in a blockbuster in five minutes like that. The tags I've seen with it are crazy- 4" lines, easy.

I know of a place that MAKES cans, but the cost is $11 a can. It does come with a rusto fat, though.

to the guy who was askin bout puttin ink inside a spray paint can. well, i had an idea of takin a hair spray bottle and fillin that shit up with some ink and tryin it out. its just a brainstorm idea i had in my mind, and i still havent tried it out. ill let everyone know as soon as i know if it works or if its even good. stay up.

if your looking for something that will run for a while acrylic isnt the ink/paint. it kind-of lays ontop of the area its applied to and doesnt stain it. so its easy to buff but if you live in a buff lazy area its alright. get yourself some garvey or something.

snake: can u get pilot pens?

shai: didnt really follow that last post. are you saying i should just use paint? or get a can made for myself or something else. The whole point of my post was making a super big drippy mop/can. im about to try it with a thing of garvey (cheap and should be alright).

Originally posted by MAR@Oct 8 2005, 07:28 PM

snake: can u get pilot pens?

shai: didnt really follow that last post. are you saying i should just use paint? or get a can made for myself or something else. The whole point of my post was making a super big drippy mop/can. im about to try it with a thing of garvey (cheap and should be alright).

I was recommending a way to get that look...Montana XXL chrome can with a gold or pink dot has been the best way, if not the cheapest way, to get enormous silver lines.

Personally, I think you're wasting Garvey. Get some aluminum Rusto and try that first. Or, I'll buy some rusto, and we can trade for the Garvey. :haha: I think this mod sounds like a potential nightmare. Even if you get it right, the trick is to get it right consistently, say, 9 times out of ten. Then you got it...I've lucked out and gotten the coolest effects or colors before on a fluke, only to be unable to reproduce them. But, that's life.