INK RECIPE SUPERTHREAD

rubbish heap

^^^

it doesn't seem any different than any other garvey, except it's black. it's got a little transparency around the edges. it's opaque enough. don't know if it fades yet, but i'm sure it does. i'll use it to write on unsealed concrete, most likely.

marsh comes in three grades- k grade is kerosene based. smells like gasoline, use outside. use it for porous surfaces. smears when dry, leaves shadows. weird stuff- i don't use it much... t grade is turpenoid based, all-purpose/surface ink- smells like pine sol and ink. doesn't smear like k, though. rarer, and therefore more expensive. a grade is alcohol based and i think it has antifreeze in it. smells like cat piss. comes in colors, and is tintable. all-surface. shake for a while before you pour it-it's lumpy. dries the quickest. as far as i know, marsh doesn't use xylene, and more than makes up for it by using kerosene.

thanks for the nero tip. does it have any application in fine art or design? i seem to do more of those two these days.

hope this helps.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Yo omen im gunna ask yyou cuz you have a lot of them, but this is basically for anyone... how thin would i havee to make bucket paint to put it in and aerosol art marker, or one of those OTR paint markers... and what would make it stain hard?? Do i have to thin it at all? thanks.

Originally posted by MC P.@Aug 21 2005, 03:15 PM

Nerve are you saying i use 3/4 paint and 1/4 of any of the three things you listed? where the hell do i get mineral spirits btw?

mineral spirits is like paint thinner. on the front of the cans of paint thinner it might also say mineral spirits. it does on mine. just dont try to use laquer thinner, it seperates from the bucket paint. see in the flick where it says mineral spirits inside that black box i put there? its on a paint thinner can.

[attachmentid=20213]

thinner.jpg.850a784645eea6026344b593936e5983.jpg

fuck what ya heard, the hardest staining shit ive come across is the semi permanent hair dye, its called react or some shit, comes in a red bottle, only thing it comes out like shampoo, but... u can thin it out with water, or rubbing alchohol. i got the color black, and it stained purple when dried, i couldnt even get it to smudge with household cleaners, plus if its painted over it will seep through at least 2 layers of paint, depending on what it was mixed with. im going to try to thin it out with some bacardi, see how far that gets me

i wonder what would happen if you used hair dye in your ink recipe instead of dot 3.. someone try it, leme know what happens

Originally posted by MC P.@Aug 21 2005, 10:59 PM

So if i use silver bucket paint, and this mineral spirits business which would basically mean krink, so i have been lead to understand, will it clog up my otr paint markers/ aerosol arts?? thanks for the help btw.

i dont know. im a mop person. the only marker i use is a pilot. but it probably will. ive had it get too thick after not using it for a while and slow the flow of the paint&thinner in a kiwi before so its probably not a good idea. but its not the same as krink. krink is an actual ink. but basically it looks the same if you get the mix right. i hear the rusto silver looks most like it. someone else on here a few pages back mentioned some brand that works right outta the can. have fun.

btw. if someone on here wands to send me some ink or markers for cash or pilots, then help me out cause i cant get anything here in south florida without a credit card and i cant get it sent to my house so i need someoe to send it from their address. pm me if you want. if anyone here lives in 561 and can get it to me in person that would be groovy too.

Thanks man... im gunna try it out in my aerosol art and see what happens anyway... but its not a new aerosol art its the baby blue one and it has the ink from their in it, does anyone know if thats gunna fuck with the silver paint + thinner ??

whowantstoknow

Most hair dyes will stain hard only for a limited

time, but i don't know if you should exchange

it for the dot3 as the dot3 is corrosive and hairdye

is not. It would be better to use it instead of

fiebings and shit like that as a stainer and leave

the corrosiveness to Dot3 or strong solvents.

Also house cleaning agents and the buff are two different games,

you should try it out in town to really know if it kills shit.

Originally posted by goodhamster@Aug 24 2005, 02:23 AM

Hey i just bought a "Sharpie poster paint" marker but its water based, super washable... so is there anything i can put into it to make it more permanent?

new ink? they also make oil based sharpies now- they aren't bad- one blew up in my hand saturday and my hand's still red. ha ha, red-handed! oh, i kill me.

i put it up around town a month or so ago, even did a little inside work on some trains, it survived 2 buffs, the first buff was the wipe down, it didnt go anywhere, the second buff was the paint over, it seeped through @ half darkness. does anyone know the ingredient in ink that makes shit seep throug the buff?

Originally posted by goodhamster@Aug 23 2005, 10:23 PM

Hey i just bought a "Sharpie poster paint" marker but its water based, super washable... so is there anything i can put into it to make it more permanent?

trying to refil a sharpie is like trying to give it to someone up the butt: its messy, its do-able, but in the end its just not worth it...i know the industrail ones have super strong ink in them, ut theyre not as big. otherwise, you wasted money. sorry bud. ;)

It says here that gentian violet is poisonous and can be absorbed throught the skin. So what thats the deal, some of you have mentioned staining your hands with it???

""Gentian violet is easy to use, but because of the presence of phenol (poisonous!) in the solution, it should be handled very carefully with suitable gloves and protective clothing. Phenol can be absorbed through the skin, even from dilute solutions. Spilled solution and waste should therefore be handled with caution.

Gentian Violet is supplied as a concentrated, ethanol-based solution that must be diluted before use with water (15-30 times).""

Originally posted by checkmate@Aug 27 2005, 07:02 PM

It says here that gentian violet is poisonous and can be absorbed throught the skin. So what thats the deal, some of you have mentioned staining your hands with it???

""Gentian violet is easy to use, but because of the presence of phenol (poisonous!) in the solution, it should be handled very carefully with suitable gloves and protective clothing. Phenol can be absorbed through the skin, even from dilute solutions. Spilled solution and waste should therefore be handled with caution.

Gentian Violet is supplied as a concentrated, ethanol-based solution that must be diluted before use with water (15-30 times).""

that's when it's in solution. they use phenol/ethanol as a solvent for gentian violet, and yes, it's really bad for you...but, it's also really good for ink, too- some of my favorite ink is phenol based. i would just wear dishwashing gloves, that will do fine. gentian violet is also available as a reagent in powder form- check chemical supply stores, especially ones that specialize in biology.

Originally posted by NeRVe54@Aug 28 2005, 03:22 PM

gentian violet im sure wouldnt be good to cover your hands in. but it is used on the skin when you get piercings. thats the stuff they make those dots on you with. so dont worry about it unless you wash your hands with the stuff. peace

he's right...gentian violet by itself is safe, it's the additives you need to look out for. and, unless your name is grimace, or want to answer a lot of dumb questions, keep it off your skin.