INK RECIPE SUPERTHREAD

rubbish heap

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by stay gold.@Aug 7 2005, 08:34 PM

3 questions, First what the fuck can is marsh and what does it actually do i see it in a lot of recipes and have no idea what it does. 2 when fucking with etch if i wear gloves will it eat through it and 3 if i just get those lil rusto paint jawns and mix em with mineral spirits cant i just use that as paint for a marker?

1. Marsh is a super permanent ink, basically the only way to find it is online.

2. You have to wear gloves, otherwise theres no way to use it, it shouldn't eat through, but you should bring a couple pairs of gloves just in case and if you want double layer them even though that seems a little extreme to me.

3. Thats the way to go. Thats the way I roll. Unless it's an area that Mr. Buff goes to frequently, then you should use that. You'll save a lot of time and money. If it is a place that gets buffed frequently or you won't be back for a while, use an ink that leaves a ghost so that it lasts. Pilot ink has left a ghost everywhere that I've used it. Just mix the paint and paint thinner until it gets thin enough for you based simply upon if you want it clean or unreadably drippy.

Keep it real. ♠

Originally posted by spade561+Aug 9 2005, 03:04 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spade561 - Aug 9 2005, 03:04 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-stay gold.@Aug 7 2005, 08:34 PM

3 questions, First what the fuck can is marsh and what does it actually do i see it in a lot of recipes and have no idea what it does. 2 when fucking with etch if i wear gloves will it eat through it and 3 if i just get those lil rusto paint jawns and mix em with mineral spirits cant i just use that as paint for a marker?

1. Marsh is a super permanent ink, basically the only way to find it is online.

2. You have to wear gloves, otherwise theres no way to use it, it shouldn't eat through, but you should bring a couple pairs of gloves just in case and if you want double layer them even though that seems a little extreme to me.

3. Thats the way to go. Thats the way I roll. Unless it's an area that Mr. Buff goes to frequently, then you should use that. You'll save a lot of time and money. If it is a place that gets buffed frequently or you won't be back for a while, use an ink that leaves a ghost so that it lasts. Pilot ink has left a ghost everywhere that I've used it. Just mix the paint and paint thinner until it gets thin enough for you based simply upon if you want it clean or unreadably drippy.

Keep it real. ♠

[/b]

No, Marsh is not a super permanent ink. It is quite easy to buff off walls, actually. Marsh is known for its jet black color, that will never fade - not it's staining power.

Now I'm not sure if I read this right, but it this whole argument going on about some kid that said Griffin is better then Garvey? Ok, not that I want to get involved - but I have used Garvey on many occasions, and I have used Griffin on many more. I can tell from experience of bombing with both that Griffin blows dick compared to Garvey. Garvey is a real writers ink, get it if you want your name around for a while.

Originally posted by chumbawumba@Aug 14 2005, 04:22 AM

Now I'm not sure if I read this right, but it this whole argument going on about some kid that said Griffin is better then Garvey? Ok, not that I want to get involved - but I have used Garvey on many occasions, and I have used Griffin on many more. I can tell from experience of bombing with both that Griffin blows dick compared to Garvey. Garvey is a real writers ink, get it if you want your name around for a while.

its just that griffin can be found at most any local retailer, and you can "acquire" it pretty easily, while garvey in most instances you have to pay for it.

Griffin isnt better than garvey, but its alot easier to acquire. And griffin does stain, but since it only stains that brownish color that looks pretty ugly. Garvey is your next best bet. Since the purple just kills. Or you can just say fuck you to both of them and just get candy ink.

Candy ink is pretty well guarded secret. Though lately its gotten out to some extent. I personally have it, can aquire it and at one point was going through several bottles of it a week. Its pretty cheap to buy directly, but on the street the price gets inflated to a ridiculous level.

It comes in a wide variety of colors:

orange

turquoise

brown

magenta

purple

marroon

yellow

green

red

blue

black

gold

Hardest staining colors are:

magenta

purple

marroon

blue

However if you mix them then the staining power of other colors is brought out and you can get some really good colors. If you mix two colors together and you hit up with it, the ink will come out one color, it will dry another color, and it will stain a different third color.

Funny thing about candy ink is that sometimes it wont mix and youll be left with two colors coming out.

dd56b648.jpg

alright, i know you can get custom colors from bucket paint and shit, but im not really all into paint. i have 2 mops i can put custom color paint in, but i want my shit to stain. im more of an ink guy cause that shit stains through a lot (damn city always tries to cover my shit up, but it still shows through bitches :D) so how can i get some custom colors using ink? i mean i got red and blue, but fuck, i want something custom for real. like a fuckin light blue type shit. help me out. thanks

p.s. where could i get myself some candy ink?

Basically you won't get a ghost from bucketpaintbased

"inks"unless you got a strong solvent thrown in there

that eats into the underlaying paintlayer (painted surfaces only).

You can however add stainers and cross your fingers,

most of the time they will stay "in" the paint and won't

do as much damage on the surface you bombed as if

they were added to a regular ink but with a good quantity

you still get better results than straightup thinned paint.

mmmmmmmm.....candy ink. in a mini wide, right? cash, i know where YOU'RE from. montana=good times, 21st century style. you do have to pay for it, but it's money well spent.

i stopped making ink since the third arm in the middle of my chest keeps trying to make me drink some to test it out. if it works right, then my poo will colormatch. also, my house was starting to smell like a meth lab. no bueno.

pro color is fun, too, but doesn't come in quantity.

everyone knows about garvey, marsh, krink, etc. works fine.

looking for flomaster (have green) but it doesn't seem like it was ever a west coast thing. love to try it someday. anyone?

what's up w/nero, otr, grog? are they worth it?

Originally posted by completionz@Aug 19 2005, 06:03 AM

montana ink is weak as fuck no stain at all fades like fuck 2

add gentian violet...it's hard to find so i don't feel guilty about letting you know...it's a doozy then. alcohol based ink will fade, no doubt, but what can you do? someone flipped me a quart and i'm liking it enough to plug it, anyway... come to think of it, candy ink fades, but it look hot when it's fresh...the fact is that it looks good for a minute and that's how long 90% of my hot tags last...garvey is the killer for permanence. especially on raw concrete. mea culpa.

man iv neva been into the whole ink making thing,

i just get a paint marker empty out the paint n shit bang in some inferno ink n ur ready to go.

oh n maybe mix with some other ink of ur choice if u wish your colour to be a little darker, heck you can even add some additives if you want n whatever else you can find in ur mums cubpoards :king:

[attachmentid=20166]two words...black garvey...oh my jehovah god...also available-red/white/blue marsh- 16 oz. pro color-red, black, green, blue, violet... specialcolor inks (new jersey's worst....acetone based)... green/blue/violet/black garvey.... i think i've died and gone to ink heaven.

locally acquired, since i'm casually attired (at work, anyway.)

maybe i'll start an ink store. maybe i'll just store the ink. we'll see. just thought you'd like to know. it's still out there. you just have to find it.

Image006.jpg.eba95741f81a9d300baa9d87a470ba1d.jpg

Originally posted by shai hulud@Aug 20 2005, 02:19 AM

nothanks...tell me about inferno....the euros swear by it and if i wasn't so poor i'd try it too...but, what's the story?

last summer i paid like ten dollars for a bottle, put it in a marker, and made marks, mainly on silver electrical boxes.

a week later i came back to take a look at them, and the tags were all but gone. faded to the point that you'd have to be withing about 10 feet to see the ghost.

even worse, the ink spread out past the path of the original stroke of the marker, and obscured the tag into illegibility.

also, the color isn't so much black, as a very dark violet/blue, and it's not very opaque. if you have to use it, mix it like 1-2:2-3 with pilot, marsh, otr, or some other opaque black ink.

the only decent experiences i've had with nero are insides, where they stained nicely.

to summarize, don't use it outside unmixed.

postscript; how is black garvey? is it opaque? does it fade as easily as violet? and is marsh alcohole or xylene based?

^^^

it doesn't seem any different than any other garvey, except it's black. it's got a little transparency around the edges. it's opaque enough. don't know if it fades yet, but i'm sure it does. i'll use it to write on unsealed concrete, most likely.

marsh comes in three grades- k grade is kerosene based. smells like gasoline, use outside. use it for porous surfaces. smears when dry, leaves shadows. weird stuff- i don't use it much... t grade is turpenoid based, all-purpose/surface ink- smells like pine sol and ink. doesn't smear like k, though. rarer, and therefore more expensive. a grade is alcohol based and i think it has antifreeze in it. smells like cat piss. comes in colors, and is tintable. all-surface. shake for a while before you pour it-it's lumpy. dries the quickest. as far as i know, marsh doesn't use xylene, and more than makes up for it by using kerosene.

thanks for the nero tip. does it have any application in fine art or design? i seem to do more of those two these days.

hope this helps.