INK RECIPE SUPERTHREAD

rubbish heap

Originally posted by rubbish heap

I've answered countless questions since starting this thread.

Now I have a question of my own.. I'm going to buy a new pint of Marsh - Urbandesignz.com sells both the dye and the pigmented versions. Someone on 12oz mentioned that both types are the same permanency and that the pigment is too thick for most markers. I emailed UrbanDesignz and asked about the two Marsh's they carry - they said the Dye is mainly used for indoors and fades away outside, and the Pigmented is more durable outside.

So my question is, who is right and who is wrong? Has anyone used both? Thanks.

edit: i found out the marsh i currently have in a 4 oz. sample jar is dye, and it seemed roughly as permanent as pilot ink. i think i'll order the pigmented stuff and see - hopefully it will flow. any used it?

i heard that marsh isnt what its made out to be

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by chumbawumba

Hey rub, I would go with what Urban Designz told you. But I've never tried it so I would'nt know.

Also -

What European mailorder thing can I get corio at?

Can't help you there. It's not worth it at all - you'd have to wade through countless websites in foreign languages, find one that is willing to ship international, pay the expensive international shipping rate, convert your currency into theirs, etc etc etc. It's not worth all that trouble for a bottle of ink when there is plenty of other great ones out there.

Originally posted by HOVIE

i heard that marsh isnt what its made out to be

like i said, i've used the dye type marsh and it flows great and is a little harder to buff than pilot ink.

i got some violet garvey coming for me in the mail, i heard that shit is greaaat, stains hard and drips like a dream.

Originally posted by Swtchn'style

is there anything that can't be buffed (markers,rollers,etc.)

the answer is, yes and no. they can buff pretty much anything by painting over it - rollers, throwups, handstyles. but the thing is, certain things don't get painted over - things like panels on your transit, metal signs, mail boxes, newspaper boxes, dumpsters, electric boxes etc. to get rid of graff on these surfaces, people use cleaning solutions like lacquer thinner, xylene, goof off etc. if your ink stains hard, it will be extremely difficult for someone to completely get rid of your handstyle - there will always be a ghost mark.

and than there is etch. but do NOT mention that shit on here.

A little recipe I've been working on lately: I'm in the process of getting everything needed for it; the ingredients are violet Garvey, purple Fiebing's, Gentian Violet, violet Pearl Ex, and to top it off, brake fluid. The Garvey will be the ink base, the Fiebing's will be the strong leather dye mixed in for increased stainage, the Gentian Violet will be for added staining, the Pearl Ex will be for sparkles (thanks Ira Sanky

for mentioning that shit or I would have never though about using it) and the brake fluid will be for corrossive properties.

• Like 1

Originally posted by AevOne718

Does that pearlex stuff really work?

Has anyone tried the carbonpaper ink recipe yet? Did ya like it?

i'm sure the pearl ex works fine - i got a small container of it, havent used it yet.

i'm trying to find that violet carbon paper you were talking about - only found the black. do you have to put it in isopropyl alcohol ? usually you can't find it pure, it's diluted with water (bad times). carbon paper mixed with xylene sounds intriguing, i wonder how it would work out.

xylene n carbonpape SUCKS... from my experiance.

It evaporates so fast the nib goes dry. Or maybe it wouldnt go through the nib... i dont know, but it sucks fro mwhat ive tried.

Yes, isopryl alcohol. I would like to try denatured alc, but i have no money for it.

I dont know where u can get that violet paper... hopefully you go to school and a teacher has it. Try to go to a copy shop or something.

Originally posted by chumbawumba

I've searched ebay for Garvey Inks, no such luck, though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...7&category=4174

there we go, garvey..

yo rubbish, you seem to know a whole lot about good mixes....how about some flicks of your work??...i understand if you dont wanna show me..but i would be interested in seeing it

ey hovie, i dont quite get what you're saying. you want to see some of my handstyles or supplies?

Originally posted by rubbish heap

the answer is, yes and no. they can buff pretty much anything by painting over it - rollers, throwups, handstyles. but the thing is, certain things don't get painted over - things like panels on your transit, metal signs, mail boxes, newspaper boxes, dumpsters, electric boxes etc. to get rid of graff on these surfaces, people use cleaning solutions like lacquer thinner, xylene, goof off etc. if your ink stains hard, it will be extremely difficult for someone to completely get rid of your handstyle - there will always be a ghost mark.

and than there is etch. but do NOT mention that shit on here.

...thanks for the info, ur the only person who actually gives me an answer...

on the front post, first page, theres a link to a picture of a chapstick marker i made a little while back. i've also done the standard kiwi mop alot, usually loading it with some nice runny bucket paint. also made a mop out of a pilot in the past - very easy stuff.

but to be honest, i'm not all that much into making the home made markers - they're cool for concealment and acting stealth, and for someone who doesn't have access to an art store or whatever, but i prefer writing with pilots and shit like that. the hand comes out sharper, more calligraphic - and in most cases they're free for me.

making / modifying inks is my real passion, though.. gotta love having the buff crew struggle to scrub your shit off, or having some fresh bucket paint colors. :crazy:

^^ in your experience, how quickly (if at all) does brake fluid eat through plastic markers and/or nibs?

I was thinking of putting a tad in my chapstick marker, and in my bingo-dabber markers, but i've never tried it before, and don't wanna have that shit eating a hole in the marker one day when it's in my pocket..

I've refilled ink mixed with brake-fluid in metal markers like Pilots many a time, but just wondering what your thoughts were on the plastic ones...

As I said before - brake fluid comes in a plastic container - i have no experience of it melting the plastic away on mops / markers. now xylene, thats a different issue.

if you're ever concerned about having mad ink stains in your pocket from that freshly made mop... wrap up a plastic baggy over it, not the ziplock kind.

• Like 1

thanks rubbish..i added you on aim.......heres a mix ive been using the past few days in my 20mm....

black corio

dark brown punch leather dye

break fluid

potassium premagranate

someone has told me it stained quite nice.....it comes VERY dark brown.pretty much black but a brown tint to it.....flows nicley too:yum:

Guest imported_sofarok

myths?

Potassium permanganate does fuck all, and i have yet to see any conclusive proof that brake fluid has much of an effect, im my experience it doesn’t mix well with inks and has an tendency to give an nasty brownish tinge...

Originally posted by BobotheHobo

yo does anyone have any recipes for mean streak type things:D

there's the old two toned streak, where you cut off half of one streak with a razor, mash it together the half of a different colored streak and wind that shit back in the marker.. i'm not that much of a fan of that tho, i like red streaks hands down.

as for a completely homemade streak, i doubt a recipe exists out there. just doesn't make any sense.

Originally posted by HOVIE

thanks rubbish..i added you on aim.......heres a mix ive been using the past few days in my 20mm....

black corio

dark brown punch leather dye

break fluid

potassium premagranate

someone has told me it stained quite nice.....it comes VERY dark brown.pretty much black but a brown tint to it.....flows nicley too:yum:

nice recipe.. i heard potassium permagrante and brake fluid, when combined, will have a reaction of some sort.. guess that myth is falso, though.

• Like 1