My new career choice: RADIOLOGICAL TECHNICIAN

Ethreadzny2

so I finished up college in 6 years, got my Bachelors of Arts, now I want nothing to do withmy degree. Now it is time to get certified to become a Radiological Technician. The career center matched me up perfectly for this career. This means I have to go back to classes to get certified. My main question is, does anybody know anybody in this field? and if so are they happy with the job?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i mean, if you like standing there doing x-rays all day long, then yeah man, rock that shit. my cousin started out doing it, then moved further on in the field. ive just begun working in the world of medicine and have found it real cool so far. alot more rewarding than most bullshit jobs.

its not that much schooling correct? id say go for it. there are a million and one ways to move on to related jobs from something like that.

yeah it is 18 months for the full certification, but I am thinking they may cut some of the bullshit classes out because of my degree. I heard about the opportunity to move up in that field. As long as I hear that people have advanced from there, gives me motivation enough. Just looking for the reassurance, thanks seeking.

i wouldnt base your life around my attempts to sound knowledgeable, but i think any branch of medicine can lead to other opportunities.

another thing you might look into, is paramedic. its about 18 months also, and theres alot of bitchin shit you can do from there. you spend the majority of your day getting paid to sit around waiting incase something happens, and then once it does, you get to actually accomplish some good. flight medic and shit is even cooler cause you get to ride in helicopters, and i mean... dude, its a helicopeter, fucking sweet!

It's more the reassurance, I am at a rut in my decision, and need some push. Being a paramedic does have its benefits, but I am totally against the possiblity of seeing people I know in their worst states. However I know I want to advance with some sort of trade, and the medical field is most likely the direction I am aiming for. but your right, helicopters rule.

by 2030, almost 20% of the population will be senior citizens...thats alot of sick motherfuckers that need attention.

of course by then our government will have completely fucking squandered what little social security we have, and those people will have to fix eachother with duct tape and popsicle sticks, but i mean... well, you see where im going with that.

Its pathetic how much health care workers are being paid, as far as social workers and technicians. I mean to cut a large portion of communtiy programs is just sad. I hear you, I now people are living longer, all being accompained by certian ailments. So health care will be a very prosperous field. I am heading over to the local hospital early tommorow morning to talk to personal, I am just hoping they can give me all the info I need.

just make sure they dont send you away without offering you atleat 6 figures! you gotta be firm with those people. they'll ask alot of questions about 'qualifications' and 'background' and irrelivent shit like that, but just play dumb and stick to your guns. you want the job, you want XXX,XXX amount of money, and if they dont feel they can accomidate you, well then you dont think you can accomidate telling the truck load of crips out in the parking lot not to shoot everyone in the hospital.

they'll come around.

ps. if you cant find a truck load of crips, dont worry, just got a bunch of card board cut outs of james dean and marilyn monroe from a novelty store, put blue bandanas on them, and put a big dog in the back of the truck with them, so when it runs around it kind of shakes things up, giving the illusion of an angry mob ready to rumble.

Originally posted by Ethreadzny2

so I finished up college in 6 years, got my Bachelors of Arts, now I want nothing to do withmy degree. Now it is time to get certified to become a Radiological Technician. The career center matched me up perfectly for this career. This means I have to go back to classes to get certified. My main question is, does anybody know anybody in this field? and if so are they happy with the job?

'It pays good but its boring as hell' -a friend.

a girl i knew in high school, who was really smart and beautiful, ended up doing this..i didn't really know her too well, so i don't know what she thingks of it, but just the fact that she chose that career path says a lot to me about oppurtunities and $$$

i know it does pay well

and you'll never be out of work..

i guess it depends on your interests and priorities..

how important is the money vs. stimulus level

know this: not everyone in health care is making bank, plus when you figure in shit like the hours, malpractice insurance, and getting sued, plus dealing with HMO paperwork, it's a tough job man..

i know more than a few nurses, i work in one of the best hospitals in the world..they still make their med school grads work for two years in 24-36 hour shifts for about $10 an hour...it takes a while for doctors to make real money, as in, decades..and even then, it's tough work.

probably health care workers are overpaid..but are they really?

they are taking risks too...in this day and age, with aids and the like..

the real villains in health care are HMO's and the heads of those corporations..they are overpaid, overinflated, bloated organizations that infringe on the health care of patients to make a buck.

...good luck.

Originally posted by !@#$%

it takes a while for doctors to make real money, as in, decades..and even then, it's tough work.

one of my good friends is pretty early in his career as a doc. he has huge bills to pay back with interest accruing daily. Yes he's making some bank, but his student loan payment is more expensive than his house payment. Last I head his students loans were approaching $300,000 due to the interest. His first job out was really shitty.

edit for spelling

The benefit of being a technician is the little amount of education for the amount of money you make. I believe starting salary is anywhere between 40-50 thousand a yr. Sure it may have it's tedious chores involved, but what job doesnt. And if !@#$% knows a beautiful women who got in the field, maybe I will meet somebody just like her when I start my career.

I've been readin that physical therapists will be even more so in demand in the years to come due to the baby boomers getting older and things like that.. I wanted to go into phys . therapy, but i HATE all of the necessary science classes needed for the degree. I dont wanna spend 4-8 years in school doing shit i hate, but, i have been looking into massage therapy, and it just feels like i'd be happier doing that, but does it make decent money??

Also, I'm considering becomming a chiropractor, if massage therapy isn't a great field to get into.

any suggestions, anyone?

massage therapy can be lucrative..

but it's one of those fields where you need a client base, and that can be extremely difficult to establish...

on the other hand, get in good with a pro sports team and you're made..

there is a school for it in my area, i'm sure some of them have job info and maybe even placement

...chiropracters aren't doctors, but it's not like you don't need any school in science whatsoever..

you'll still need probably about a BA in biology, physician's assistants for example, don't need a whole lot more.

acupuncture is not easy.

if you dont want to have to memorize every nerve, muscle, and bone in the body, then stay away from that or chiropractor.

xray techs start at 40? maybe in a major city, but im pretty sure its not that way across the board. the ones ive come in contact recently probably werent making more than 12-14 an hour, tops.

Originally posted by seeking

acupuncture is not easy.

if you dont want to have to memorize every nerve, muscle, and bone in the body, then stay away from that or chiropractor.

xray techs start at 40? maybe in a major city, but im pretty sure its not that way across the board. the ones ive come in contact recently probably werent making more than 12-14 an hour, tops.

I overestimated a little

according tp www.bls.gov/oco

Radiologic Technologists and Technicians

Earnings [About this section] Back to Top

Median annual earnings of radiologic technologists and technicians were $36,000 in 2000. The middle 50 percent earned between $30,220 and $43,380. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $25,310, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $52,050. Median annual earnings in the industries employing the largest numbers of radiologic technologists and technicians in 2000 were:

Medical and dental laboratories $39,400

Hospitals 36,280

Offices and clinics of medical doctors 34,870

sugar this a good site to give you info on a career search.

Guest BIGMETALCIRCUS

my girl is finishing up her classes this may, and expects to land a job making 58-60k right off the bat. i live in a land of many hospitals, and many of these hospitals are well known and are offering sign on bonuses since they are so low on help. its taken her about three years so far, but the first year she had no idea what she wanted to do. id say go for it...

one more thing, it requires a certain amount of on the job training, which means paying someone to let you work almost full time...

Re: Re: My new career choice: RADIOLOGICAL TECHNICIAN

Originally posted by kido

'It pays good but its boring as hell' -a friend.

looks like there is no english requirement to become a rad tech.

'it pays well but it's boring as hell'

it even has a nice ring to it.

Originally posted by »§ÜGÅR«

maybe i'll just stick to the original plan of physical therapy..

yea, Sugar if you're looking for some good pay, PT is where its at (i think). Im currently seeing a physical therapist ass a result of car accident and the cost is somewhere around $1100 for three hours a week.:eek:

Archived