painting in the winter

2ten

Iam going to be leaving southern cali for school around christmas time and since its about 75 and sunny everyday here, paintint in the "winter" has never really been a problem.

Iam going to be moving to Nebraska this month and was wondering if its possible to paint freights in the midwest during its coldest months. I have never been around snow or sleet, and dont really know what to expect. I have heard that cans can freeze, paint wont stick to a train with a layer of sleet on it ect...

Iam just looking for a little bit of info/stories about painting in cold weather....

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

best thing to do in weather like that is step one dont paint in snow. especially if its a layup or something. an active yard, you might be able to get away with it, cause workers generally have the lines covered with foot trails. but paint drips on the snow, and your foot prints and trampled snow is a dead give away, especially if the snow if bad and the train sits a few extra days. its like you have rainbow colored snow below your peice, believe me. i would get mittens and just rip big straight letters with rusto with fat caps. let it dry for like 20 minutes before you even attempt to outline. i use those mittens that you can pull off your finger tips. i usually stick my index out to paint and cover everything else up. but its fun, go out, paint, rock out, and the best benefit all... the fucking pussies wont be out! the colder the better!!!!!!

oh yeah what sucks is painting trains with snow on the top of the car that is melting all over your piece. thats when its time to say fuck it and leave.

Thanks angelofdeath and everyone else.. I didnt even think about leaving a trail of foot prints in the snow.... I have been a pretty active painter since i stopped doing drugs, and cant imagine not painting for months at a time.. i guess i am just gonna have to stick it out and learn some new tricks.

Guest krowteN

purchase my "painting steel in the blistering cold for dummies" book for the low price or $10.99. Over the years i have ammassed over 837 tips for painitng trains in the cold weather. everything from how to dry trains off quickly to how to keep your toes warm. they can be yours for only 10.99 through this limited time offer. email me for details...cash only!

just did a fr8 the other night 21 degrees with a wind chill of 8 . in what these people round here call a whiteout. the paint sticks but it it is a little thinner than the normal temps. its made for ...better than paintin in the rain you can just wipe the snow off with your hand.

be quick with detail(outline/highlights/shell) and you ll be fine. layer our cloths !!!

Heh...you're in for it. I bet you won't last. This is one thing the hardcore midwestern, northeastern, and Canadian heads have over cats operating in great weather year round.

Rusto does take a long time to dry. If you don't mind changing up your style a bit, away from super clean and opaque fills, stick a Rusto fat on Krylon cans and fill in all sketchy. You can outline right away.

Get thermal underwear for your legs. Makes a huge difference in outdoor endurance.

i have lived in canada all my life i move from a nice dry place to a fucking wet place but as for the cold its never stoped me only thing the cold does is keep the toys in and the cops away and as for foot prints haha i have never seen a cop look at foot prints in the snow to bust people

Originally posted by Cracked Ass

Heh...you're in for it. I bet you won't last. This is one thing the hardcore midwestern, northeastern, and Canadian heads have over cats operating in great weather year round.

he aint bullshittin' either. im from a pretty cold part of the country, but his hood is just rediclious. the temp didnt get above 0 the whole time i was there. and at night it was between 40 and 60 below. i found my self running back to the car every few minutes to warm up. but now when fools say man its too cold to paint i just laugh cause i know all the tricks.

i hate it for you, so-cal to the midwest. i dont know what to tell you. if your used to doing nice detailed color burners your gonna have to hang that shit up until the spring. if you know like i know youll do like porque and bust out the rusto silver and black.

Originally posted by grafxnine

i have lived in canada all my life i move from a nice dry place to a fucking wet place but as for the cold its never stoped me only thing the cold does is keep the toys in and the cops away and as for foot prints haha i have never seen a cop look at foot prints in the snow to bust people

you are the toy you speak of.

footprints in layups is a big deal.

no more than 15 min pieces this time of year.

like a couple of the smarter ones said, yes it's possible, midwest winters... ooh boy, mostly all there is to worry about is the pain shooting through your finger, but everything else about the winter i love, i can bundle up, there's a seasonal layup a good 9 blocks from my house, it's all about silver end to ends in the snow.... also save the blunts for spring, being 4 below tends to blow my buzz, but maybe that's just me.

Guest schick1

painting in the winter sucks, but it doesnt stop me or anyone else i know, usually i try and do more rooftops or hit brick in the winter but i still hit steel and if its a freight yard it all good transit sucks in the cold though so anyway.

1.where those nylon cotton gloves we all wore when we were kids with a latex glove over it

2. dress real warm would you rather be hot than cold? so i sujjest long underwhere 2 or 3 sweatshirts and a jacket and a warm winter hat, this is important most of your body heat leaves from your head.

3. paint multiple peices at once ie do a fill then another fill and another then go back to the first one and outline it it will be as dry as it is going to get by now.

4. when your hand gets cold take off the gloves and stick it in your armpit for 5 minutes.

5. use your thumb to fill it in as well as your first finger.

getiing drunk will make you warmer, i wouldnt worry about footprints in the snow unless you get chased, but if it really gives away your entrance just kick the foot prints know one is really going to notice. and dont get fustrated that will only make it worse. just have fun and if your shit comes out bad, just think about how much better you will be when it gets warm.

Originally posted by iloveboxcars

The coldest it's been where i'm at so far is 45.

I'll be smiling tonight thinking of all the other people painting in colder climates.

people such as my self?who at this moment are under 2 and a half feet of fucking snow?seriously, my street hasnt been plaowed yet, so even if i wanted to go out, i couldnt.

:(