If I tell you my first name, fucking call me by it

SilentBob

Its weird how people address you like your something other than a person when it comes to graffiti. I'm not sure what that thing is but Its fucking trippy. Like everything they say to you has some political connetation. I must of been a spaz to buy into such a emotionally sterile sub-culture. and Im too tired to elaborate. So discuss.

edit: I know I'm in channel zero... and I know this is about graffiti. I figure here people will talk as people and not a writers though ... sooooooooooo on with the show

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i too, cant stand this. having people call me by my 'rap name' just feels weird. almost as weird as haviing people call me 'seeking', although for some reason, that doesnt bother me quite as much. i guess cause im just used to being adressed by it on here for 3+ years.

f'real though, if when introduced, i offer my real name, please call me by it.

but then on the flip side, there are certain people i know, that their 'rap name' is just more befittiing of them than their real name, so calling them by their real name feels weird. dusty lipschitz, or friend and moderator, is one of these people. it feels far more normal to call him 'dusty' than by his real name. oh well.

seeks/over analying shit into diamonds

what if you were under communist military control, chillin in prison, and speaking was illegal. then using rap names would be okay because what you are doing is illegal, and if they heard somebody say it, they wouldnt be able to track you down and you would be considered 'hard' and 'down'. then i would be able to let you in my crew, as long as you promise to speak 'all prison' though, because were kings of that shit. And then after that we would create new prison dialects based on age old latin words mixed with 60's los angeles street slang and a western canadian accent, call ourselves original, and diss other people for using words that sound like any other words that have been said before, because they are biting our style, hard.

slightly blessed with the gift of gab

Originally posted by slightly

what if you were under communist military control, chillin in prison, and speaking was illegal. then using rap names would be okay because what you are doing is illegal, and if they heard somebody say it, they wouldnt be able to track you down and you would be considered 'hard' and 'down'. then i would be able to let you in my crew, as long as you promise to speak 'all prison' though, because were kings of that shit. And then after that we would create new prison dialects based on age old latin words mixed with 60's los angeles street slang and a western canadian accent, call ourselves original, and diss other people for using words that sound like any other words that have been said before, because they are biting our style, hard.

slightly blessed with the gift of gab

If talking is illegal how are you going to be able to make your so called prison talk? Furthermore, if you were to adress each other by your "rap" names you would still have to have a constant name and the guards are going to figure what your name is, whether it be real or "rap"?

I dislike your story.

i just don't tell people what i write.

but it's fairly similar to having some guy older than you refer to you as 'sir' when you're in a store. that pisses me off. i mean, tattooed punk white kid that smells bad and looks dirty, you think he wants to be called 'sir'? it makes me wanna stinkpalm fools.

The name thing is a part of it. But it's more of a syntom of what I was failing to articulate. Basically when I meet someone who has no idea about graffiti, one way or another, its alot different then most of the times when I meet people in a graffiti context. Theres something really un-genuwine about this difference I feel. Something I don't like.

I'de be lyeing if I didn't say that part of my interest in graffiti during my early years, didn't have something atleast subconciously, to do with wanting to fit in somewhere. Ofcourse, I learnt long ago if thats what I wanted, then I was wasting my time painting stuff. It still gives me the shits though ....

basically I'm just having a whinge ...

SilentBob, sookmaster extrodinaire

i new this guy that called everyone "yo Kid" and did this wierd rap gangsta hand jesture that he tilted his intire torso while saying it......

that guy creeped me out...

im known as "that drummer kid" now because of a school thing i performed in.......so it kinda sucks/kinda not.

http://i.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/021004/144711__x_l.jpg'>

YO KiiiiiiiD

I used to write the name of an animal (i.e elephant, zebra). It was my name for about 2 years.

"Yo man, what do you write?"

"Um, I write 'insert name of goofy animal' "

"The animal?"

"Um, yeah"

"Why the fuck would you want to write that?"

But like I ended up putting alot of work into the name of the goofy animal so usually the person I am meeting has seen me up so they dont judge me so quickly. Any way now I am writing a name, like sam or jerry or what ever, so it will be interesting to see what name my mates are going to call me.

Any way thats not the point, I have a story to go with this rambling. I think that some peoples graffiti alias just sticks and some peoples real name is better. I would rather my name be the thing that sticks however it dosent so I guess I am just going to have to be the animal.

I dont think i have been called by my real name in about 6 years. It's funny cuz everywhere i move it changes. It's weird having old friends call me up and call me by a name i havent heard in a year or two. I don't really have a problem with it cuz i'd rather not ever have people know who i am.

yuck- elusive.

Guest Dusty Lipschitz
Originally posted by seeking

but then on the flip side, there are certain people i know, that their 'rap name' is just more befittiing of them than their real name, so calling them by their real name feels weird. dusty lipschitz, or friend and moderator, is one of these people. it feels far more normal to call him 'dusty' than by his real name. oh well.

seeks/over analying shit into diamonds

check the birf certificate gawd.

dusty ls

Archived