Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
l0rdka0s

Is the underground scene completley dead???

Recommended Posts

So i had a conversation with my friend from the band recover. They are on the same label as the mars volta. he tells me that no independent labels exist anymore. So i says to him that victory records is independent, he syas naw they get help from somewhere. I told him fat wreck was he say no. I dunno but it doesnt seem right to me. If the underground is truely dead, hiphop/punk/hardcore/indie then this nation needs to take back its music scene before we are listening to the same things over and over.

 

any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's only as dead as you want it to be. If you're pissed off about how things are, get off your ass and effect change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Victory Records and Fat Wreck Chords are both pretty big labels. Independent to me is more like Smallman Records, Sonic Unyon, Burning Heart, etc....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest 455

Independent to me is recording all your stuff on your own and producing the product to sell on your own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Dr. Dazzle

Victory Records and Fat Wreck Chords are both pretty big labels. Independent to me is more like Smallman Records, Sonic Unyon, Burning Heart, etc....

 

well they may be BIG labels but they are not subsidiaries of conglomerates such as interscope(epitaph), sony, warnerbrothers(aol time warner). what ims aying is that if you pay to see a victory band at a local venue not a clearchannel or syndicated venue, you pay cheap, but if you pay to see an AOL time warner band you pay more so all these greedy fucks in the middle can get thier cut taking more from the fans and depreceating the value of the artistry involved. Its like europe in the 1830' 40's 50's, the industrialization era when single handed labor became assembly line and there was no option to go back to the farm. music is being industrialized. Music INDUSTRY is really becoming industry. INDUSTRY is a bad thing for artists. now i know its been industry since the 70's and the classic rock era but im talkin every last subculture has been taken over by the industry. whats next???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because a label gets support doesnt mean that the underground is dead you tart.

 

Victory records has been shit for a good long time now.

 

Equal Vision records isn't good.

 

Times change, bands change.

 

The underground is still very alive. Go to some real shows or grow a real fucking scene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by Glik0

The underground is still very alive. Go to some real shows or grow a real fucking scene.

 

Exactly. My city sucks for good shows, the only ones I go to are local shows, with local bands, who's revenue comes from selling their own self-produced demos. There is probably one of these shows every week. And my city has a relatively shitty scene. I bet yours has a decent one, you're probably not looking hard enough.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by robotripp

 

any thoughts?

 

my thoughts? you are a tool who will either completely change your views after you turn 25 and 'sell out', or you will 'keep it real' and live the rest of your life as a cashier, hoping from one failling independent record store to another, until you finally save up enough money from your side job as a pizza delivery boy, and open up your own 'distribution' company out of your one room studio apartment where you also write, edit, photograph, and produce your 'zine' entitled "will of steel" or "never back down" or some other stupid ass iconic name that really is nothing but a sorry attempt at post-adolescent anarchistic ignorance, where you'll write 74,000 essays about how '[we] need to take back the scene ' and overthrow 'the man'.

you will have bad health, wear dirty clothes, fuck ugly girls and smell bad....i mean, real, real, bad.

you'll drive a piece of shit car that has atleast one window replaced with 14 layers of clear garbage bags and duct tape; an unfortunit reminder that you are the only white person in the ghetto, constantly getting vic'd by the same people you try and feed vegan apple sauce to, and other bullshit they dont want.

finally you'll succumb to hyper-tension and have a heart attack at 38.

no one will go to your funeral, but some kid, who is well on his way to following in your 'righteous' footsteps, will write some trumped up eulogy in his fucking zine, and make you sound like some god damn modern day 'stone-wall' jackson, which will be extra funny, cause he was confederate, and had slaves, but whatever, what use does one have for 'reality' when they're doing something as important as 'keeping it real'?

 

naw'mean jelly bean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

people have all kinds of misconceptions about me.

not the least of which is that i hope to be broke my whole life, and mistake living a life that is not detremental to humanity, for turning yourself into a martyr for a worthless cause.

 

i support starbucks and walmart.

why?

because they are the closest we will ever come to socialism.

 

the 'little man' will never win, and if he did, he would climb atop his new-found ladder, and bark orders at all of those unable to rise to his heights.

 

people are indeed sheep, but they want to be sheep, and wouldnt know how to live any other way.

 

seeking/orgy porgy pudding ford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: Re: Is the underground scene completley dead???

 

Originally posted by seeking

my thoughts? you are a tool who will either completely change your views after you turn 25 and 'sell out', or you will 'keep it real' and live the rest of your life as a cashier, hoping from one failling independent record store to another, until you finally save up enough money from your side job as a pizza delivery boy, and open up your own 'distribution' company out of your one room studio apartment where you also write, edit, photograph, and produce your 'zine' entitled "will of steel" or "never back down" or some other stupid ass iconic name that really is nothing but a sorry attempt at post-adolescent anarchistic ignorance, where you'll write 74,000 essays about how '[we] need to take back the scene ' and overthrow 'the man'.

you will have bad health, wear dirty clothes, fuck ugly girls and smell bad....i mean, real, real, bad.

you'll drive a piece of shit car that has atleast one window replaced with 14 layers of clear garbage bags and duct tape; an unfortunit reminder that you are the only white person in the ghetto, constantly getting vic'd by the same people you try and feed vegan apple sauce to, and other bullshit they dont want.

finally you'll succumb to hyper-tension and have a heart attack at 38.

no one will go to your funeral, but some kid, who is well on his way to following in your 'righteous' footsteps, will write some trumped up eulogy in his fucking zine, and make you sound like some god damn modern day 'stone-wall' jackson, which will be extra funny, cause he was confederate, and had slaves, but whatever, what use does one have for 'reality' when they're doing something as important as 'keeping it real'?

 

naw'mean jelly bean?

Oh my god its so true.

 

Fat Wreck and Epitaph are in the RIAA, but still put out good music. If you mean the "harder core than thou obscure-bands-you've-never-heard-of-who-i-will-name-drop to boost your ego" scene, who gives a fuck. Punk doesn't die, but kids continue to beat it to death by listening to the same damn bands and dressing like clones of each other while claiming their "individuality." Punk is bullshit, who cares.

 

The thing you're talking about is by far the most maddening bullshit in punk rock. The idea that if a band or label makes any money on their music or becomes known to someone other than you and your punk rock friends has sold out is the most patently stupid thing ever. Its weak minded and elitist; completely antitheitical to the whole idea of punk rock.

 

And if your're so fucking concerned about the lack of "independent" record labels, why haven't you started one yet? I thought so.

</rant>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how the fuck can you bitch about everything on the radio sounding the same, when every single fucking metalcore/hardcore/punk band sounds the fucking same? the only thing seperating the two, is that no one but you and the other 30 people who got a free copy of their 3 song 'demo' on the free 'split-promo' cd-r that their 'label' put out, have ever heard this piece of shit band.

last year i worked the door at a 100 person capacity bar that catered to that stuff. 3 or 4 nights a week, we had bands in there... 60% of which sounded exactly like their stereotypical catagory of music. another 35% jut flat out fucking sucked so bad that it hurt my ears, while 5% sounded just like their peers, but did it better.

and what happend to those 5%? if they didnt break up mid-tour, get back to gether, break up again, get back together again, sleep on some kids floor, break up, get back together, still on the same dirty floor, breakupmakeupbreakupmakeup, they got signed to a subsidary of a major, and are now on mtv's 'headbangers ball 2' comp.

fuck being mad at the system, change it, or join it.

 

seeks/where do i sign?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally posted by seeking

how the fuck can you bitch about everything on the radio sounding the same, when every single fucking metalcore/hardcore/punk band sounds the fucking same? the only thing seperating the two, is that no one but you and the other 30 people who got a free copy of their 3 song 'demo' on the free 'split-promo' cd-r that their 'label' put out, have ever heard this piece of shit band.seeks/where do i sign?

Preach it brother!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's only dead if you don't do shit about it.

 

-start a band.

-set up shows.

-open a venue.

-start a zine.

-start your own 'independent' label.

 

give back, that's the only way to keep it alive.

 

You have tons of assholes who just want to take and no one gives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Register for a 12ozProphet forum account or sign in to comment

You need to be a forum member in order to comment. Forum accounts are separate from shop accounts.

Create an account

Register to become a 12ozProphet forum member.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×