What Book Are You Reading Pt....5?

Weapon X

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest im not witty

i just finished the da vinci code, which was fascinating to me, and im currently looking for some more historical investigative non fiction texts to back up all the crazy religion shit that is the basis for the novel. but theres alot of dissent and controversy as to what is non fiction when it comes to jesus and whether or not he fucked women. awesome.

Originally posted by MANIK DEK

im currently reading two books, ''the da vinci code'' and ''the prince''by:niccolo machievelli

i just finished reading sun tzu's ''the art of war'' and james pressfields ''gates of fire'':rolleyes:

i thought machiavelli wrote the art of war?

im reading the autobiography of martin luther king jr

and LIFE's 100 photographs that changed the world (super dope)

and the blue bedspread by raj kamal jha.

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by im not witty

i just finished the da vinci code

Wasn't it a fucking awesome little book? I loved that shit. I read it next to the comp so I could verify a bunch of the presented facts online... pretty fucking on-point overall.

I got "Angels & Demons" by the same author lined up to read as soon as my bro finishes it.

Guest imported_Tesseract

Re: ps

Originally posted by TEARZ

you like that chapter on cyprus?

Father Tearz,

thank god someone bumped this...

yeah, i liked the book in general and the cyprus chapter is acurate and lightshedding.

You know, the whole cyprus issue is suposed to be over with this may where the greekside of the island enters the EU while the illegal turkish side is suckin the nuts...everyone seems to be pissed with the prime minister of the illegal state...it seems like not even Turkeys prime minister is on his side anymore.

Imagine that Powell him self told him to back up and chill out two days ago....anyway, turkish are diplomatic jedis so i aint holding my breath, but it seems like we won over that one.

Re: Re: ps

Originally posted by Tesseract

Father Tearz,

thank god someone bumped this...

yeah, i liked the book in general and the cyprus chapter is acurate and lightshedding.

You know, the whole cyprus issue is suposed to be over with this may where the greekside of the island enters the EU while the illegal turkish side is suckin the nuts...everyone seems to be pissed with the prime minister of the illegal state...it seems like not even Turkeys prime minister is on his side anymore.

could you elaborate on this a little more? what do think is gonna happen? what's it like passing from one zone to another?

i have to admit that i never knew anything about the cyprus incident til i read that book.

READING (both about to be finished):

the unbearable lightness of being, milan kundera (whatup bobbito espero)

nigger, dick gregory

i read 24 Days about enron written by the reporters from the wall street journal that wrote it, it was good a bit long on detail after detail.

in the end my conclusion comes to the fact that while the ceo's did mad shady shit to make themselfes rich, the downfall of the company was preventable in at least some degree. basically enron created a bunch of nothing companys to produce its own profits that were much higher and yadda yadda...but if you really think about it in my opinion it went on for so long that it was profitable and with a bankruptcy filing.....anyway...um my point was....it reminds me of a drug kinpin dealer that fronts himself shit to pay himself off.

100 photographs that changed the world

i strongly suggest that you look at this book. its not really a lot of

reading, but there is text to go with the pictures; theres just a lot of

thinking. i saw the book in the store and i didnt want to leave without

it. of course, i didnt have any money, so i ran to it longingly whenever

i went back and got it for christmas. i picked 5 pictures to hopefully

show someone else why they need this book, or if you dont do that and

just see the pictures i left here and that makes you think, than i would

be glad.

before i looked at this book, everything in it that i knew about, like

south africa's discrimination, the holocaust, starvation, and aids only

sounded like the past. this book has made me take a look at how

present these ideas really are, and how much theyre a part of me and

everything i live everyday.

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/1003/ayhkat/priest.jpg'>

i think this was a picture they showed us when i was little and went to

catholic school. its from 1980. i hadnt thought about it then but what the picture is, is a

priest holding the hand of a little kid from a part of africa that was in

drought, which means that they were starving, too, since they couldnt grow the food without the water.

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/1003/ayhkat/soweto.jpg'>

this is hector peterson. he was 13 when south african police killed him

during protests. its from 1976. my brother was born in 1972.

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/1003/ayhkat/aryanenoughq.jpg'>

mommy, why the old man getting his nose measured? thats weird! yup.

he's getting an aryan race determination test. so thats why when you

look at his eyes, theyre scared.

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/1003/ayhkat/david.jpg'>

this is david kirby. he was an aids activist until 1990. this is what people

look like when theyve been sick and on their deathbed if you dont

know. they look like statues from the wax museum. thats his dad,

william, hugging him. i think the picture was so famous because people

probably saw him on the news and in the papers, and he was probably

strong and aggresive but looks so inhuman here. or maybe it was that

he looked too human

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/1003/ayhkat/biafra.jpg'>

the little kids in a country that was trying to keep its independence,

and became starved. the big heads and bellys while their arms and

legs are so small are because they didnt have any protein.

Guest imported_Tesseract

Re: Re: Re: ps

could you elaborate on this a little more? what do think is gonna happen? what's it like passing from one zone to another?

i have to admit that i never knew anything about the cyprus incident til i read that book.

word..it makes sense not to know, its like a mini middle east issue minus the jews;)

I'll skip the history since lots of it is in this book and it seems complicated for me to explain it without writing a huge thing i'll be feeling responsible for its historical accuracy afterwards.

After stating that the turkish-cyprous regimee is an illegal one, achieved by military force and foreign backup (UK&S) i'll pass directly to what will happen now.

The cyprous-greek side always had a good wealthy economy and always was legal and recognised as a regime in the island by every organisation like UN etc etc...as a result to this, it got qualified for being ready to enter the EU by fullfilling all the requiriments needed. That happened last year on a primary stage (along with 12 other countries like poland, slovenia and others) This may its the final lockdown and the official entry in the EU and the euro currency. I already mentioned that the turkish side is illegal but after 40 years you dont expect the people that lived there to just pack and leave. On a social scale i recognise that turkish-cypriots have everyright to remain in the area they were born in. The problem is pollitical and it has to do with how the prime minister of the phoneystate deals with it. His view is that the turkish side will either be recognised by the international community or he wont allow any type of union (note: the island has a 'green line' in the middle as we speak, separating the island in two sides. Greek-cyrpiots arent allowed to pass the line, even the ones that were born and lived in that other half before the invasion...in 99' a kid that passed (and then stupidly tried to take down the turkish flag) got shot in the head on live TV)

This whole thing doesnt affect the greek part to move in the EU but it brings up serious issues for the borders of the EU (that must be defined clearly) and of course a high heat issue. The EU and the UN want this to end somehow.

The proposition that was made by the UN and never got signed by the turkish side was to unite the whole island under the greek-cyprous(rightfull owners of the land) regime that in return would have to ensure the pollitical rights of the turkish population.

A shockin ammount of the turkish-cypriots was in favor of that, since they're at a lousy economic state and isolated. The only ones that were anti were the prime minister and the hardcore turks.

Turkeys new prime minister is euro orientated as well, he's goal is to enter the EU at some point, thats a whole new issue i wont analyse right now but the point is that he sees just how bad for new turkey's image the phoney state is. Even he isnt directly supporting the prime minister of the turk-cyprous phoneystate.

Bottom line is that, in diplomatic terms, the battle has been won in favor of the greek side. Socially its still a pain in the ass for both but its turkeys turn to play nice and secure a better living for their own aswell the end of drama.

i hope this clears it up a bit (it may not as its 5am right now:dazed: )

sorry for hijacking the thread.

ps. Unbearable lightness of being=good shit

Guest imported_Tesseract

fs: you should get aim

i may have more when i wake up though... ;)

fire away, it doesnt look like i'll be having the luxury of sleep.

Tesseract/6:47am

real world---------->

sleep=necessity

12oz=luxury

;)

rental. i've seen a lot of those pictures before. but for some reason the dude dying of aids with his father gave me an emotional body blow. damn. that hit a vulnerable spot i didn't know i had.

Guest imported_Tesseract

real world---------->

sleep=necessity

12oz=luxury

;)

pfff.

real world------------>

deadline for graphic design deal=yesterday

12oz=brake

sleep=luxury

ninja what?!:tongue:

haha, no, i knew you had a good excuse.

but now, i'm gonna ball out and live the life of luxury. ;)

good luck and best wishes.

hasta manana.

father tearsz

I just finished reading "Fortress of Solitude" by Jonothan Lethem. A fictional story about a white kid, Dylan Ebdus, growing up in Gowanus in brooklyn in the 70's, part of the first wave of white people moving in to renovate and gentrify the area, something which doesn't happen for another 20 or so years. The story revolves around him having to survive and make friends in the neighbourhood and his family life. The book spans a 25 year period and deals with the main characters ability to break out of his "fortress of solitude" and share his emotions and thoughts with the people he lives. It was a bit hard to get into at first and remains a bit strange. A big part of the story is about him finding a ring with magical powers, which he shares with a friend. The ring is obviously a metaphor, but i haven't been quite able to figure out just what for yet. The book also deals with graffiti for a bit, because he's a teenager during the period it all began. While the way the author talks about graff is kind of textbook, referring to "whole car burners" and whatnot, he seems to know what he's talking about.

All in all, a good book. I give it 4 stars out of 5.