more arrested in music piracy

fatbastard

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/National/story_53219.asp

Two university students from Sydney received 18-month suspended jail terms in Australia's first criminal prosecution for Internet music piracy.

Charles Kok Hau Ng, 20, and Peter Tran, 19, pleaded guilty in the Downing Centre Local Court to a string of copyright breaches.

They were the webmasters in charge of the digital music site MPW3/WMA Land, which offered 390 CDs and more than 1,800 tracks for download.

The site attracted more than seven million hits.

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) previously estimated the duo's pirated music operation, providing a hub for the large-scale exchange of music files, cost the music industry more than $60 million.

Deputy Chief Magistrate Graeme Henson said the defendants had known their activities were illegal and had gone to some lengths to avoid detection.

He said the seriousness of the offences and the need to deter others from similar behaviour warranted a jail term, and sentenced Ng and Tran to 18 months imprisonment.

However, he suspended the sentences taking into account their youth and the fact they did not profit from their website.

Ng, who founded and maintained the site, pleaded guilty to 22 breaches of copyright charges, including distributing copyrighted material.

Tran, who helped maintain and update the site, pleaded guilty to 17 copyright breaches.

A third accused, 21-year-old Tommy Le - also known as DJ Ace - pleaded guilty to 29 less serious copyright breaches after using the site to upload albums he had compiled from copyrighted material.

http://ninemsn.com.au/blipimages/news1/1811_music_lg.jpg'>

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest im not witty

i was just thinkin the other day that its been while since i heard someone get popped over this. time to trim down my playlist again, i feel safe as long as its under 1000 for some reason.

Originally posted by im not witty

i was just thinkin the other day that its been while since i heard someone get popped over this. time to trim down my playlist again, i feel safe as long as its under 1000 for some reason.

yea man there trying to stop people from sharing. if you make them fear shearing, you've crippled the p2p system.

yeah they wont get me no they wont. Ive got ownership of more than 4000 total mp3s, and 75% of my CD book 72 cds total is burned.

Fuck what they call piracy, mp3s have introduced me to more and more new bands that i have paid plenty of money to for merchandise and shows. And they wont go after the companies that make burners because thats where they get thier mass duplication machines...

hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

i wish they would just lower the price of cd's.if it costs 75 cents to produce a cd then i dont understand why it comes out to 20 dollars after taxes and all that.it seems like everyone is getting their cut when you buy a cd and your left paying way too much. i think they should consider lowering the price of cd's and i would gladly start buying music again.kind of like you do your part and ill do mine type of thing.just something to think about.

Well aside the ceos and artists, you also have to pay for janitors, property taxes, salaries for your designers and random other people that go into making and promoting the album, shipping of the actual cds to their destinations, then there is the mark up the store charges to pay their cashiers, rent and then everyone inbetween. Oh and lets not forget the ceos mansion and yatch.

I'm suprised that this shit doesnt cost $50 a cd.

Archived