CAREERS IN ART

BOZACK

i'm currently a freshman at a private university, and i'm a communications major/vis. arts minor. however, communications is bumming me out and i really want to pursue studio art. i mean that's basically been my passioon since i drew "pie on a windowsill" at age 2. haha anyway my parents REALLY REALLY REALLY don't want me to major in art (i'm not sure they'll even pay for that type of education); they basically think i'll starve. it's fucked up because all of my friends/family have always acknowledged mt talent & encouraged it to the fullest, but once i go off to college & start taking it seriously, i lose support from the parents.

any testimonials/ success stories i can use as motivation/points to argue to mom & pops??

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

im about to start studying a visual arts and education double degree. i figured that i can still pursue my own art, but also eek out a meagre living as an underappreciated educator. i really do want to teach though it is just a pity about all of the bullshit that you have to put up with that has nothing to do with teaching kids.

Guest Pilau Hands

to put it simply, you can pretty much sell your work to eat, or teach.

or do both.

at this point i'm looking towards getting my bfa, and then an mfa, so i'll be able to teach at a university level, should the need arise. it's a long expensive road, but my beginnings have been affordable so...

meh

if u can, talk to a department head and see if you can work out a double major, that way you can satisfy yourself and your parents and be able to be gainfully employed if need be.

i always wanted to be an art major but i went to business school and IT the farthest thing from my love, and i have regretted it to this day. Here i am 25 and trying to gather enough dough to go back to art school finding that i do not have near enough pre-reqs for a master and i really do not want a second bachelors degree.

do what you enjoy or or working life will suck and you will not excel as much as you can.

or maybe that's just me

I personally agree with it being better doing something you love rather than something you just get a job at. even if the pay isnt as good. I think theres much more of a need or at least a better market for design than just studio art, but yeah I would do what you really want to do, I started in a horrible major and switched back to what I really wanted to do, and Il be graduating with a studio art/ graphic design degree.

You're marching to your own beat. Follow the market. Manufacturing is/has moved to sweatshops overseas or replaced by robots. The tech bubble burst (awfully fast I might add), the way of the future is biotech, and firms are already licking their lips at the thought of aging baby boomers. With the mean average age of the U.S. rising, we are going to develop a serious drug dependancy. Not to mention breakthroughs in genomics, and proteomics, and *gasp* embryonic stem cells!

But if you want to be out of step with the world to follow your dream, that is on you. Just remember, it is not that far and away from martyrdom, unless you have connections or get lucky basically.

Perhaps the internet can create a boon for a burgeoning art market, given the lax regulations on marketing and advertisement. Still brand names carry the weight and people fall like sheep in line to their mystique and allure.

on the subject of school, anyone have any reccomendations for a good school for design on the west coast? im currently in SFSU (majoring in molecular biology HA! im an idiot) but thats all bullshit and would like to go to a better school, thinking 'bout transfering but don't know where to go...

My best guesses for good design schools would be:

-SF Academy of Art - but they are all a bunch of pricks there, and its expensive

-UCLA - I don't know why but it makes sense ... hollywood and all that jazz

-CalPoly - probably not but maybe?

-CalTech - I mean if you grad from CalTech you will get a job you like ... right?

Anymore? because i cant think of any

^^ art center in pasadena is top rated, but the cost reflects that.

i have heard good things of the design program at cal state long beach and am in the process of appyling there myself.

as for the thread topic... do want you want to do, and what you think you will be happy doing for a long time to come. i let my job control my career path, went to school for engineering for a bit while i was working in engineering firms. they paid so i checked it out. then i realized i didn't really want to do that the rest of my life and started bouncing around taking art and design courses until i found what i wanted to do. until recently i was pretty satisified at where all this was heading, i still had more school to do, and was still working in engineering and making a decent living. but now as i get older, i keep hitting bumps in the road, i wish i would have just followed my heart from the begining. now at my age and career level i am struggling if its worth finishing school in engineer or design. it was design until i realized i will lose some 75% of my credits.. now that has thrown a monkey wrench it the whole plan!

Archived