ayo, some sci-dudes made a real life virus>

Guest BROWNer

Guest BROWNer

Environmentalists sound alarm over man-made virus

By Charles Arthur, Technology Editor

14 November 2003

Scientists from the United States have created a simple virus from scratch, assembling more than 5,000 DNA building blocks, which they say could eventually lead to genetically-modified organisms able to eat carbon dioxide and clean the environment.

The idea provoked immediate opposition from environmental campaigners who branded it "very dangerous and a bit madcap" and warned that such organisms could run amok.

Led by Dr Craig Venter, the scientist who became famous for his commercial drive in the unravelling of the human genome, the team at the Institute for Biological Energy Alternatives stitched together the DNA of a bacteriophage - a virus which infects bacteria, not humans - using pieces of DNA available commercially. Spencer Abraham, the US Energy Secretary, suggested that it would lead to genetic manipulation of new organisms to solve pressing problems such as rising levels of carbon dioxide leading to climate change.

Roger Hickman, climate campaigner at the pressure group Friends of the Earth, said: "I can't see why what looks like a risky strategy, using GM bacteria, is being pursued over more sensible strategies like better energy efficiency."

ayo..whatever happened to that whole hype about nanobots eating co2 man?!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I think scientist should just go ahead and do shit and not let the public in on it.

There are already organisms that they dump on landfills that eat out shit, i mean they literally eat solids. Im not sure how the Cº2 thing will work out but i think they should just go ahead and do it.

I remember hearing about the nanobots thing but i didnt really have any interest so i never followed the story.

The only thing that bothers me about this is that, yes, they could come up with something that can help the enviroment, but at what cost...the need to know oportunity costs and all before they actually start initiating these "projects" would be nice to know but i think t hey should just keep it under wraps so people dont freak out.

Gangsta.

well with an engineered organism such as this my question is where will the chain of evolution take this reature?...how fast will it multiply and is there a way we can control so that it does not over eat the carbon dioxide in the air....plus this global wamring thing is kinda neat halfway through november it was still warm here...it was drive around witht e windows down weather up until a few days ago....fuck it viva los glabal warming

<3,

Zack Morris

Archived