Legal wall (not the usual)

Overtime

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by phels

painting legal walls is not graffiti, look at the definition of graffiti in a dictionary its that simple. dont kid yourselves, paint a easy illegal, its piss to get away with an your putting paint where it aint.

from dictionary.com

graf·fi·to __ (_P_)__Pronunciation Key__(gr-ft)

n. pl. graf·fi·ti (-t)

A drawing or inscription made on a wall or other surface, usually so as to be seen by the public. Often used in the plural.

Here is the dictionary definition, where does it say that it has to be illegal for it to be considered graffiti?

i don't think graff is about destroying, but i do tend to agree with the "if it's legal it's aerosol art - not graffiti" sentiment.

I was having a good talk about these things with one of my lecturers at uni the other day and he said "if it's not illegal, it's not graffiti".

I reckon that's pretty ill for someone who has never been a writer to say. And he wasn't hating either, he loves it. Told me all these stories about how back in the day he and people he was associated with used to do crazy shit with art around the place. No pieces with letters, but used to bomb streets with crazy shit, but never with the sole mission to destroy property.

As you can imagine I was highly impressed.

anyway, good on you for getting a legal wall. I don't hate on the shit, cos i still respect legal writers if they've got skill. I know a lot of legal writers are older illegal writers who have been snapped and for them writing illegally isn't worth the trouble they've been through.

oh boy...

People must understand that thereare numerous motivations for graffiti. It is NOt just about destrying property. Even at my "prime" some years ago I was vandalizing many walls, but to me I wasn't destroying I was gracing the streets with my beautiful handstyle (so I thought). My only crimes were graffiti and to me they weren't wrong.

Let him paint whatever and however he wants, and even if it's "legal" the roots are still in graffiti. The graffiti language wil still be there. This is a culture, a langauge that has definable attributes. It may not be pure graffiti, but it will catch the attention of those who pass by and the normal non-graffiti writing citizen will see "graffiti". They won't know right off if it's permission or not, and they may not care. The visual assualt of colors and forms will seize their attention.

As a youngster, the elaborate legal murals had just as strong of an efect on me as the illegal work. Sometimes more efect, because the artists had the oppurtunity to "go off" and use all their skills.

Graffiti goes beyond legal or illegal issues. Do you follow?

Originally posted by onesecondple

the location behind the police station could be monitored with the police department's remote camera system.

something would bother me about that...

painting my "word" while being monitored by police cameras? no thanks.

fuck that

go bomb. rock wildstyles on the freeway's, rock 5 color shots in the heavens. fuck a legal wall. dont take money for graff, dont pimp the culture, we are writers. fuck this mainstream acceptance, graffiti is their label for us, i'm a muthafuckin writer. I will crush illegal shots all day long and rock a doper burner than your "legal" shit all illegally.

one.

Archived