contracting, 10-99's and tax evasion

seeking

anyone know exactly how this shit works?

if you work as a private contractor, but give the company a fake SSN, at the end of the year, when they turn in their taxes, what is the chance the irs would come back to them, for the numbers not matching up? and this is a multi billion dollar corporation were talking about, not jack's hot dog on-a-stick stand.

im assuming that most people who get nailed on tax evasion, do so because they had all these expenses, but claimed no income, and the irs audited them personally. i would highly doubt that the irs would even contact the company, especially over such minor figures.

and i wouldnt even give a shit, but i got my job through a family memeber, and they're kind of sweating me handling it the 'graffiti way' (ie: totally ghetto and illegal, just to get over) for fear it would come back on them.

anyway, if anyone has any insight into this, feel free to pass it along.

seeks/holy shit he doesnt know somthing!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Oh my god, how long have i waited for this type of thread to arise.

Here goes...

At the end of the year when the employer sends the tax return in and on the employee deductions there appears a number that does not corralate with the name that it supposedly belongs to..get ready for some response.

After 9/11 The Social security administration...Internal Revenue service...and the bearuo (sp?) of citizenship and immigration linked up so to say..so if one of those org's get information the other get the same information almost immediately. When the irs runs that number that is fake, it automatically goes and gets verified at the ss administration...when it shows up that this number does not go with the name given the employer will get a letter asking for the number to be corrected (only if said employee is getting paid as an "employee" i.e W2 and not as a sub-contractor), the employee will also get the same letter. In the past it was no big issue but after 9/11 and the scare that terrorist are working inside the walls, then they are cracking down..for example the big walmart debacle that happened, that was sent as more of a mesasge then anything else, also it's a fine of 10,000.00 dollars per day for hiring illegal workers.

There is a way to get around this for the employer...for example seeking. if your working as a sub-contractor, then they can write the pay they give you off on a 1099-Misc. therefore they do not worry about you having a real ssn or not, but if you are using your real name and address (which is not the smartest thing to do) then you will get a letter asking you to verify the number, now the bad thing happens, if you get this letter,....let me rephrase that,...when you get this letter, you will have to verify it, if you do, then you wil have to pay the taxes on that 1099-misc. heres the fun part, if you work in an office then i doubt you have the same deductions as lets say a construction worker, and that means that working as a private contractor will cost you a pretty penny if you do not have deductions. and not everything can be a deduction relating to the type of job you have. If you do not verify it, then a lot of shit can happen, if this fake ssn is indeed a real one that pertains to another person in the world, and remember there are about 2 billion people in the u.s.a, then that person will get a letter, if they see that their ssn is being used by another person an investigation might occur and it can be traced back to the employer since it was their name that was paying said bad number...which in turn can lead to you..thus you are criminally guilty of fraud.

If your family member got you the job, then they should have known better then to keep you under the table, if you indeed give a fake ssn then you better get ready for the letters to come to you.

Even if it is a minor figure, there is a mistake so to say on the irs report, and until that mistake is corrected, please beleive your company will hear about it.

1. i am a sub-contractor.

2. they dont have my real, full name.

3. they do not have any address for me.

4. the ssn i gave is only one number off my real, so a 'simple mistake' would be easy to explain if need be.

5. by the time this all gets sorted out, and the irs was to come back to them, i'll very likely be gone, at which time i will not be worried at all.

my only real concern is that the irs would contact the company, asking about me, getting said family member all in a fluster. but for the size of the company, and the very miniscule amount of money were talking, i would highly doubt they would have the man power to investigate such minor discrepencies.

but we'll see i suppose.

and if it comes that i have to pay, well, i am no stranger to outstanding debt.

roe,

why? because that's how we roll. no, really though, my life is a very complicated web of alot of really ghetto scenarios woven together to create the fabric that embodies 'seeking'. i could go more into depth, but my secrets are not for public consumption. ;)

Originally posted by seeking

1. i am a sub-contractor.

2. they dont have my real, full name.

3. they do not have any address for me.

4. the ssn i gave is only one number off my real, so a 'simple mistake' would be easy to explain if need be.

5. by the time this all gets sorted out, and the irs was to come back to them, i'll very likely be gone, at which time i will not be worried at all.

If it's like that then there really is no big issue, just a "mistake" like you said... if the amount is so small that it's just a spec on a big dirt pile then there really should be no problem..it all depends on how much of a good taxpayer the company is really.

well, it's one of the largest brokerage firms in the world, doing business in the multi billions, and as of the first of the year, my taxable income would be less than 8 grand.

my understanding has always been that for the most part, unless the business gets audited, or the amount of money that is 'unacounted for' is so major that it would signifigantly offset their books, thus signaling that the only way to really get noticed, is by getting audited yourself. and since i have absolutely nothing in my own name, and thus no expendetures, claiming i have no income, is not so far fetched.

im not concerned with myself, just dont wanna get family rilled up. as long as that is avoided, i dont give a shitwhat they try to do to me. i'm a soldier naw'mean.

seeks/ my uzi weighs a ton

if it's in the multi millions then dont worry about it, even if they ask for the differnt number and name, then it's no big deal, on the family tip, they can just say the number was off by one, no big issue, clean it up and skip away happily.

I thikk the irs is immune to any kind of emotional connection to real human life, seriously, it's strange but these people work as a team to create a monster of pure 'by the book' standards.

It's scary really.

Gangsta.

"roe,

why? because that's how we roll. no, really though, my life is a very complicated web of alot of really ghetto scenarios woven together to create the fabric that embodies 'seeking'. i could go more into depth, but my secrets are not for public consumption. "

good god, i cant wait to hear this in person....

your str8 man.

the only thing that could be a prob is if the company is aware that your fam with whoever still works there and is trying to be legit. If they start asking questions, your fam could get squeemish and strt to sing.

Best solution, "take care" of you family loose ends. YOu cant talk when your dead. This may seem brutal, but its the code of the streets when your trying to get your hustle on. Fam or not liabilities are liabilities. Dead the issue.

hev/ justice hands

This is funny since im always on 12oz checking stuff and spend all my free time painting letters on walls, but im an overseas manager for an international law firm., i cant count the many times ive been in court with clients because of tax issues...you guys think criminal court is tough try heading towards tax court.

So im just letting you know a lot of information that would seem common knowledge so to say in my work enviroment... I deal with the shit on a daily basis and i know how much people fuck themselves over because they do not know all the laws regulations and changes that happen on a daily with government organizations.

It might seem square to think this way but sometimes the best way to avoid trouble is to not do it "the graffiti way" ....i know that there are those "have to do it this way to get it" deals but just try to avoid them the best you can in the future.

And i wouldnt worry much about the issue at hand, like my mom said once, the only thing you cant fix in life is death.

So if shit does indeed happen, man up and go at it and fix it.

Simple

Originally posted by heavyLox

your str8 man.

the only thing that could be a prob is if the company is aware that your fam with whoever still works there and is trying to be legit. If they start asking questions, your fam could get squeemish and strt to sing.

Best solution, "take care" of you family loose ends. YOu cant talk when your dead. This may seem brutal, but its the code of the streets when your trying to get your hustle on. Fam or not liabilities are liabilities. Dead the issue.

hev/ justice hands

Like i said before, if they ever start asking questions, the solution is to say it was a mistake, fix it and get it done with, the error would be on your part and your family in the clear.

Simple.

yoshy,

white collar crime isnt 'crime'. ;)

haha, well, i'm an accountant, so the world is full of ironic comedy.

i'm not worried about handling it if it does come back to me. i purposely gave the number just one off, just in case it did come back. i was just wondering what the likelyhood that i could avoid the whole thing would be.

and im not trying to scam, to avoid paying taxes, i really dont care about that. there are other 'legal' reasons why i cant have a taxable income, or even 'exist' as far as the financial world is concerned. this whole thing is sort of by necessity (although no-less ghetto)

get money back that i never paid in the first place?

ha.

that would be a new one, even for me.

although i do have the state paying me to go to school now.

see what i get for being such a smart motherfucker?

government study grants like whoa.

seeks/he had what it takes to be a legend, he had a marvelous personna

this is what i was talking about earlier, you can take deductions, but you cant take them so excessively that they will raise eyebrows..and seeing as how you are an accountant, i do not beleive that the deductions will be up there that you will actually get some money back, just be careful what you do in the future.

Why do i have the thought of having a White collar criminal crew....man, that idea surpasses gay on so many levels.