Do They Roll?

The Former

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

It helps to know what's in em. Obviously anywhere grain is grown will have an assload of hoppers and maybe several different customers. Plastic granules are a popular commodity, and will be manufactured in petrochemical areas (Texas, Jersey, various deep south & midwest spots, lot of places really) and go plenty of different places. There's also Vegan Hell cars - hoppers full of animal bones from slaughterhouses that are processed into bone meal, gelatin, glue, etc. which I usually see with BNSF, BN or ATSF marks.

Originally posted by Cracked Ass

It helps to know what's in em. Obviously anywhere grain is grown will have an assload of hoppers and maybe several different customers. Plastic granules are a popular commodity, and will be manufactured in petrochemical areas (Texas, Jersey, various deep south & midwest spots, lot of places really) and go plenty of different places. There's also Vegan Hell cars - hoppers full of animal bones from slaughterhouses that are processed into bone meal, gelatin, glue, etc. which I usually see with BNSF, BN or ATSF marks.

tell us more about these vegan hell cars..how can u tell if a hopper is one of these???

vegan hell cars???.

thats just too much.

question. besides the obvious, what is the difference between flat hoppers (greybellies) and ridged hoppers. Im aware of the difference between ridged and flat boxcars but seems like i always (thats not an absolute always) see grain or food stuffs in ridged hoppers and chemicals, concrete, plastic pellets or other non-edable goods in grey bellies. you can always tell the ones with the food in em too cause theres always a flock of birds following the car feeding on the topside spillage.

Don't hold me to this but, I thought it might have had something to do w/ the weight of the cargo and the unloading process. The ridged hoppers, their high up huh? Well, the "chutes" are at such an angle that gravity will bring the grain out of the car easier, than if you loaded them into a smoothside (grey bellie) hopper. The ridges have to be for structure of the car and to allow the interior compartments to be smooth so nothing will be stuck in when unloading...The smoothside hoppers have more cubic space in them, plastic pellets are lighter, the chutes are also wider on these cars as well...But like you said, you have seen food commodities loaded in grey bellies...Many companies own both kinds of cars, CSX's "Grain Train" cars w/ the corn logo are smoothsides, Archer Daniel Midland owns smoothsides, Central Soya's are smoothsides and these companies service food commodities...Up around my way theirs a few Poultry plants on the line and they recieve both kinds of hoppers...So really I don't know the answer, just threw out some suggestions.

...i can't answer your question Zed, but i can add to the confusion...

...almost all of the grey bellies i see are filled with plastic bits...and i see huge lines of grain in ridgies...but i also see a ton of the 'CSX Grain Express' (picture of corn for logo) which i would assume are filled with grain...but are all flat hoppers...i also know of lots of small ridgies that carry cement and mortar materials...

...anybody have some more info?...

...hmmm that's funny...

...i also just remmebered the Cargill cars that all move grain or grain products...they have ridgies and smoothies...i was thinking the distinctions have to do with the most efficent use of the weight capacity of the car...

Originally posted by Bosco

Don't hold me to this but, I thought it might have had something to do w/ the weight of the cargo and the unloading process. The ridged hoppers, their high up huh? Well, the "chutes" are at such an angle that gravity will bring the grain out of the car easier, than if you loaded them into a smoothside (grey bellie) hopper. The ridges have to be for structure of the car and to allow the interior compartments to be smooth so nothing will be stuck in when unloading...The smoothside hoppers have more cubic space in them, plastic pellets are lighter, the chutes are also wider on these cars as well...But like you said, you have seen food commodities loaded in grey bellies...Many companies own both kinds of cars, CSX's "Grain Train" cars w/ the corn logo are smoothsides, Archer Daniel Midland owns smoothsides, Central Soya's are smoothsides and these companies service food commodities...Up around my way theirs a few Poultry plants on the line and they recieve both kinds of hoppers...So really I don't know the answer, just threw out some suggestions.

thanks bosco. sounds good but im sure you know as well as i do that greybellies and ridged hoppers have varying chute sizes. over the holidays i came up on a greybelly that looked good from a far but was too high to touch...had to settle for the rbox. and what about airslides. they carry food and non-food goods. i guess im answering my own question here. ive ssen those grain train units also, mixed ridged and flat hoppers. as well, the had a nice cut of greybellies in my favorite airslide spot (which is a food plant) - leading me to believe they haul food in greybellies too. but i been takin fliks in this spot for many years and this is the first time ive seen greybellies in there.

Originally posted by porque

...hmmm that's funny...

...i also just remmebered the Cargill cars that all move grain or grain products...they have ridgies and smoothies...i was thinking the distinctions have to do with the most efficent use of the weight capacity of the car...

Originally posted by porque

...i can't answer your question Zed, but i can add to the confusion...

...almost all of the grey bellies i see are filled with plastic bits...and i see huge lines of grain in ridgies...but i also see a ton of the 'CSX Grain Express' (picture of corn for logo) which i would assume are filled with grain...but are all flat hoppers...i also know of lots of small ridgies that carry cement and mortar materials...

...anybody have some more info?...

i see all them too. im pretty convinced that short hoppers are used for cement and building material exclusevly, ridged and flat. i never seen plastic pellet spillage around here. there all over the floor in sunnyside though. some fine white powder around here a lot. i also see units of ridged hoppers (various companies)...very rarely touched. those are the ones i see with the birds in tow all the time. i see those cargil units, ns greybelly units. once in 1999 i saw a unit of brand spanking new shiny chrome timx flat hoppers. looked like they should have been hauling gunpowder. the rambler had a few 30 year sketches on them.

okay im all nerded out..good night.

The airslides are operated by some sort of pneumatic (sp) deal, I'm not sure of the details of how they work, but somewhere along the lines of air being used to discharge the commodity, which is usually flour or other light weight material, both food and nonfood alike as you stated Zed.

hoppers southeast

we get tons of hoppers here in the southeast...sometimes they are good ones sometimes they are shortline ones that will only run between here and the next town over...i will hit whatever..having your name on a short line is frsh..someone will see it one day, and i kknow tons of writers who are down to hit obscure shortlines just for the "LOVE" or whatever.anyhow as for as acfx's are concerned those things do travel...i have seen them all over the country, and i hit them on a regular here...ecux's are an exxon chemical hopper...those things have an entire yard..with what i think is a servicing building next to the layup...next to that is a huge ecux tanker layup....i once hit 3 ecux's in a row saw them roll into this same building and saw them rolled out totally erased and clean..so i know for a fact these ecux's are serviced in my area....but as cracked ass said there is no telling how long these things will run...so hit all you can...there are tons of hopper layups here that a line rolls in stays one day and is gone the next day just to find an entire new line there...we get alot of the GATX's there too which nexe come back and are always fun to hit...the southeast...the deep southeast is always fun for daytime chill hopper action!!

hope i helped but probably rambled on about nothing!

Guest rob deer

so we got this fertilizer layup... and there was a mound of stuff on the tracks in the yard... and after passing it for a couple weeks I accidentaly stepped in it. almost had to throw out the etnies. upon closer scrutiny of the tags/notices dangling off the hatches,,,turns out it was fishmeal from mexico. watch your ass.

I think cracked had the best info...find out what's in the cars and you'll know probably where it may go. I think there's a good chance you've got a semi local line of potash cars, potash being a byproduct (or ingredient?) of cement making. those plastic granule cars are gravy like the grainers, but don't move as often. plastic obviously has a longer shelflife than grain. Last week I picked up a foto album that was made at least in part at a layup I used to hit. plastics make it possible.

even fresher than short line hoppers are the short private hoppers.

ive seen running frequently from all over. there was a desk and hate on a up short in the yard this weekend. but the ones around here just reigonal. ncux edyx or something lcux i think. i dont hit though. hard to bring yourself to go on a mission to paint reigonal short hoppers. but i gotta agree with turbo they are fresh for 1 or 2 man burners or even whole cars.

who sees the black and beige csx sand hoppers with the yellow letters.

i thought those were specific to the south but ive seen tags from chicago and baltimore on them. but i never hit those either.

Hey Zed, the sand hoppers, I've been wondering, are they old coal cars with the ends cut off? If you compare flix of the old Chessie(or L&N, etc) coal cars, with the CSX sand cars, the discharge chutes are very similar, the panels are about the same width, the end ladders line up as well. It looks as if the angled portion at the upper ends has been cut off, forming a box as the cargo area. I figured they were, b/c the majority of the sand cars have fairly new black paint, and the grey scheme is fairly new as well, with the rest of the similarities...I'm about 90% sure, especially w/ the dissapearance of the old coal cars over the years. What can you add to this?

i think maybe some of them are repaints from companies absorbed by csx i.e seaboard, b&o chessie, l&n etc. the box ones that are the same car class as the glenwood cars probably. but i think the slants are new blts though. i remember when they started popping up by the dozen around the mid 90s. as far as them being converted i cant seeit. would csxt shell out loot to modify aging cars when they have a budget for new construction? possible but not probable. only one sure fire way to tell though. unfortunately none of the ones i have gotten have the black box in the flik. thing is where are all those cars going.

But, it would be cheaper to modify the old cars than to to purchase a new fleet. The old coal cars were still in good condition, but new technology came about, aluminum for car material so heavier loads could be moved, better chute technology, use of bathtub gons, new unloading/loading methods for coal which made the older coal cars obsolete. I got to thinking about the modifying of the coal cars when I saw a cut of old hoppers in pre-CSX colors with loads of sand, then when looking at some flix saw the newer sand cars and noticed the similarities. Alot of the old coal cars are still in service, I catch them w/ scrap steel loads, just about anything that will fit in them. Heres another example, Norfolk Southern had a surplus of 50' boxcars when they formed from the Southern Rwy and N&W merger, so they cut the cars down to form 50' TOFC flats for intermodal service. Sure the new cut down box-turned intermodal flats could only carry one trailer, while the 89' flats (in service at this time) could carry 2 45' trailers. NS did whatever they could to keep a steady ready fleet of flatcars for intermodal service at standby. NS could of bought 89' flat cars, but didn't. Hell, the NS 50' TOFC flats are still in service, not just in NS territory, even in todays world of all-purpose spine cars, 53' and 56' well cars, 89' flatcars capable of carrying 3 28' pup trailers, etc...Hopefully this example can relate to the sand car problem.

Also the Glenwood cars differ from the csx cars in design, the glenwood cars have no top supports that meet w/ the ends (if this makes sense). The Glenwood cars have a steel grating walkway on the ends, the CSX sand cars do not, they have similar end designs to that of the older hoppers. I know flix would help in this discussion, you know you catch these while out benching...

These sandcars have to be in some sort of general service for aggregate companies. You usually see them in cuts of cars, rarely alone. I would think they just serve regional building materials companies...

Also I have another question about local rail operations, and I didn't want to take up thread space...Is it better to pm you? whats up w/ your email situation?

to me it sounds like alot of u are in the mid west or out of the way places. i have lived on the up line that runs between san deigo ca and as far north as seatlle but braches to canada and points of un known . i have not seen a lot of hoppers but always see box cars, piggy back and massive amounts of sea cargo. i have many flicks of virus aa from canada king 157 twist . ba a few giants and more some back to 93 so it seems the buff on this line takes longer. i have seen the rambler many time(i think thats the name) my fav to burn is car carriers and piggys cuz piggys have traliers:king:

• 3 weeks later...

when i first started painting trains i had a layup with no one around i mean no one. so naturally i crushed them id do hollows on every single one. (stupid yes but rember this is like 98) well to make a long story short i started seeing all my shit come back. and started painting a peice waiting a week or 2 and tracing it. all my shit goes to texas or out east in pa. shortlines then they bounce back. another thing is that they carry pipe. so you should do some resaerch as to what they are carrying. pipe scap ect. i have found load papers ect around and got a good idea as to what factory they go to and which they come from. do homework on it. its not even work i like to just stroll around the factories just looking for anyting intresting in general. then again i just like being around trains and railroads alltogether. another lil thing i have stumbled upon is that i have been painting alot of qgry cars which explains why i dont get alot of feedback from people seeing my cars running even though i paint a ton. some bencher in canada must have a book full of my shit haha. but to sum it up trace them thats the best way and when your painting look for clues, stray papers, ect things like that. also if you know where a certain artist is from thats a good indication if you keep seeing their shit thats where its goin or headed to. i catch alot of ronin mw shit. if anyone has ever heard of him or that crew thats where my cars are goin. hope that helps good luck man

Be careful with grainers in and around kentucky, ther's plant's here that fill em with all of this PVC (not the pipes but the chemical used to make them.) And it's not something you want to really have on or around you.

Be careful with grainers in and around kentucky, ther's plant's here that fill em with all of this PVC (not the pipes but the chemical used to make them.) And it's not something you want to really have on or around you.

I live in the southern midwest and one yard we have here is all hoppers. They must run to LA and Chicago alot from this yard, because I always see tags and throws from both locations. Some of them must end up real near COLT.45's neighborhood because I see his pieces almost every single time I go down there. I've seen alot of writers on hoppers. If all the hoppers in a yard are always clean, theyre probably local, or go back and forth between you and BFE. I try to hit the lines that have graff from far away on them, or do opposite sides of cars that have graff from somewhere else. I dont know how much good its doing....

Archived