Everybody's got a new book out.

JerryCurl

It's funny, 6 or 7 years ago a writer having their own book (exclusively featuring their stuff) was unherd of. Now it seem that having a book out is just a new way of getting over, and people push to get thier name on published paper.

What's your take on all this?

Is there any books out there that seemed more like a photo-album, then literature? What makes a good book for that matter?

Hell, even recommend/criticize somebody's book. This is open disscusion.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

How is anyone getting over?

Artists and Designers have whole sections in the bookstores, why should graff writers be any different?

The Dondi book, Giant One book/zines, Cope book, Dalek, Twist, 123Klan etc. books are all good if your into their art. Plus there are only a handfull of Writers books out anyway.

I'd like to see more books out there. It's like a snapshot of the times.

A good book is one that you enjoy looking at.

One graff book I didn't like was Urban Calligraphy. It had a limited focus, and had people in there that I don't think should have been in it at all.

I am all for every book that's coming out. God Bless. Books go into libraries, and libraries hold history. The web is gonna change this somewhat, but it still really helps the cause.

Personally I was a big fan of that German Urban Calligraphy book. Maybe it's because I particularly feel what Akim and Zasd are doing with their Jazzstyle concept, which figures heavily. Also, I think that this book does a better job than any other of showing that yes there actually are some Europeans who can drop nasty tags. The nature/architecture/sculpture sections are all great.

S.

i just racked a really decent one from Tower the other day. It's a book of graffy inspired art by David Choe (Called CURSIV). Black and White but i like his style a lot. ha, to think they wanted $12

Sam Flores from S.F. has a real eyebleeder of a book out. Quality on top of quality but dude....$20....that's like...weed money

Yeah, these little books are great for the toilet or to keep out on the coffee table for guests when you're busy fucking your gf in the next room.

I just think some of them are grossly overpriced. just steal em'

Guest imported_Europe

Come on Lens, no theft and drugtalk on 12oz, you know that.

I love books, I wish there were more graff books out, although I did pick up 4 new ones this month alone.

Originally posted by Europe

Come on Lens, no theft and drugtalk on 12oz, you know that.

Oops, sorry bout dat Europe.

There are some really cool books to score at upper Playground in S.F.

Dalek's Nickle Plated Angels is great. Wish i could afford it right now!

Mizuno Junko (I think) is a wicked artist from japan: sailor moon illustrations on crack cocaine. Great stuff.

Borders is supposed to carry the Art of Getting Over, subway art, spraycan art, and dondi at all their stores but everyone steals them so they're never in stock.

I've got about a foot-tall stack of graffiti books and I think they're a good thing. First, they lend graffiti a legitimacy that it wouldn't have had before (cracking a book is much more acceptable to the education establishment than whipping out some magazine or a website). Second, as sonik said, graffiti books preserve history. Third, it's not at all remarkable for artists to put out books of their own work. Finally, graffiti books are just cool, dammit.

cursive is choe's second book. his first is "bruised fruit" he's more an artist than a writer, but he does spray paint giant whales on everything.

is that "urban calligraphy" one a big one with a gray and red cover? I kinda liked that one but it was more art and design than just graff but that's why i liked it. it covered graffiti as well as the styles inspired by it, like 123Klan graphics and stuff.

Originally posted by REZist

cursive is choe's second book. his first is "bruised fruit" he's more an artist than a writer, but he does spray paint giant whales on everything.

is that "urban calligraphy" one a big one with a gray and red cover? I kinda liked that one but it was more art and design than just graff but that's why i liked it. it covered graffiti as well as the styles inspired by it, like 123Klan graphics and stuff.

I used to see those whales on billboards in berkeley....is Choe from the bay area?

WON ABC has a book out i'm sure all of you have seen...Color kamikazi I think it's called.....portrait of one man's obsessive link to detail.

Sam Flores book...if you don't have it...order it right now. Essential.

Guest imported_b0b

Personally I like books that have a lot of in depth interviews in and long articles. For me I love reading those interviews where people talk about their passion and addiction to graffiti and their total imersion into it, as that sums up my experience of graf. Also I love hearign the chase and racking and beef stories.

Good books for this are: Free Agents, Art of Getting Over, They Call Us Vandals (a Swedish book by UP but with Enlgish text), All City.

Books that are more photo based I find less satisfactory as they seem more like magazines with pretensions and, unless they have *the* killer content, never seem worth the money.

does anyone know if jack stewart has ever gotten anything worked out for releasing his dissertation from the mid 1970's? i've had a copy for a long time, but bought through a dissertation service. it's an amazing document, and in the copies you can buy through the dissertation service you get these terrible repros of the old flicks. it's still gold, amazing old history. i often wonder how different graff would have become if his book had been published and become known rather than henry and martha's....

I've never heard of what you're talking about there, Joker. Can you expand on it a bit?

The only graf book I own is Subway Art, and I bought it when I was just getting into all of this madness. So needless to say if you say "i often wonder how different graff would have become if his book had been published and become known rather than henry and martha's..." It must be something worth looking into.

Archived